watercooling on graphics card - just the gpu or gpu and memory

DeeJay

Limp Gawd
I want tot add my graphics card tot my existing watercooling setup. I know that there are complete watercooling kits out there for just about every graphics card on the market. But i don't want tot use them because they are very expensive and i can't use then anymore if i upgrade my graphics card. Instead i just want tot use a water block on the gpu. But all highend cards have coolers that also cover the memory modules. Is that just for show or is it really neccesary tot cool the memory?

don't forget the card's VRM's.
you might be able to get away with not cooling the RAM chips tho not cooling the VRMs is a bad idea.

So you're saying you want to cool your graphics card using an universal block over a full cover block? To answer the last question, yes cooling the memory and vrm's is helpful.

GPU only block will probably work better for just the GPU, but then you have to glue heatsinks to your VRMS etc. Usually I make a mix of thermal paste and adhesive, but you can still end up with issues trying to remove them later no matter how good you mixed. I don't trust thermal tape. Sometimes you can get VRM and Memory blocks that attach using stock mounts though, not a bad way to go and then you can re-use the GPU block.

So you're saying you want to cool your graphics card using an universal block over a full cover block?

Yes, that's exactle what I'm saying. A full cover block would be the better solution technically, but I am after re-use. The full cover blocks only work with a certain type of card. If I have to buy a new waterblock every time I upgrade my graphics card it quickly adds $100 to the costs of the card.

OK, so I have to look for a solution for the VRM's and possibly also the ram chips. I'll go look for VRM and memory blocks that use the stock mounts. I am not going to risk pulling the chips off together with the block.

I think it depends on your card. For instance most gtx670's and 760's have ram on the back that has no cooling what so ever. VRM cooling is a bigger deal though, those get MUCH toastier than RAM chips. My 670 ram chips are warm to the touch during gaming, but the vrm's with sinks and active airflow get much warmer. So I'd say VRM's def need assistance, but the ram chips are optional.

you believe in heat? that's just an old story they use to scare little kids

Back