Watercooling i7 920 and ATI 5970

Seer37

Limp Gawd
I'm new to watercooling. I've done some research, but it seems I can get a better grasp of what it is I would need to accomplish my watercooling goals. I know the basics between the different radiator setups, reservoirs, pumps etc. But I am looking for the best setup for my needs and what order to setup the watercooling process.

Goals: Looking to cool both the CPU (i7 920) and GPU (ATI 5970).

I run a Coolermaster 932 case, if you feel a slightly larger case like the Cosmos-S would be better that would not be an issue either.

One loop or two loops? Would any case modifications be needed? Also, a lot of misc pieces, like clamps, T lines etc, I haven't really investigated yet. I do like the double bay reservoir setups, or those long tube setups.

Edit: CPU will be going through extensive OC. GPU, should see 850/1200

Last edited:
A single loop with a dual radiator should suffice. All you really need is a pump, blocks, tubing, clamps, and a reservoir (or t-line if you prefer). With that setup your temps shouldn't go above 75 degrees unless you are trying to kill your CPU with a voltage increase well beyond Intel's recommendations.

The order should be: pump>cpu>gpu>rad>res or pump>rad>cpu>gpu>res
The order really doesn't make a huge difference since your temps will be uniform within a short time period.

A single loop with a dual radiator should suffice. All you really need is a pump, blocks, tubing, clamps, and a reservoir (or t-line if you prefer). With that setup your temps shouldn't go above 75 degrees unless you are trying to kill your CPU with a voltage increase well beyond Intel's recommendations.

The order should be: pump>cpu>gpu>rad>res or pump>rad>cpu>gpu>res
The order really doesn't make a huge difference since your temps will be uniform within a short time period.

Dual rad only? I'd suggest going triple, especially with the 5970. Order doesn't matter, as mentioned. I would just put the trip rad on top and forgo the first couple drive bays.

You won't need a dual slot res. Just a one slotter or T will be fine.

Definitely go at least a triple, if not a quad radiator.

ahh ok, it looked interesting because it had the pump integrated with it.

depending on the price, i probably would not get that pump. i never liked submerged pumps anyway. you dont need a dual slot reservoir, but theres no harm in getting one as long as you can fit it.

The question to ask then is what space are you working with, and what price point (budget, midrange, money is no issue...).
I agree with the above that suggested a triple radiator. I'm using two 5870's and i7 930, so should be fairly similar in cooling requirements. I found a single double definitely not up to the job for my tastes. Also, the more quiet the fans (therefore lower cfm) the more radiator you'll need.
Blocks - I personally really like the ek blocks that came out for both the i7 and the 5870's. I own a pair of nickel plated for the gpu blocks and all copper ek block on the cpu block. *just to note though - the ek all copper and copper/nickel plate won't let you put 1/2 compressions unless they are angled (that might not matter to you, but thought I'd warn).
Value-wise, the heatkillers on sidewinder computer.com are pretty cheap and still do a darned good job for the cpu block. I still like the ek blocks for the 5870's, but I don't think the nickel does much except look pretty, so you can probably go with a cheaper one if money is an issue.

Tubing/Clamps. I personally like tygon tubing, though everyone has their preferences. 1/2 is very easy to work with, although I use 3/8th's myself because space is an issue for me. I find barbs easier to work with then compression fittings, but I think compression fittings look better. I haven't found much of a difference between brand names, although bitspower makes some fine looking fittings.

I would rather see what my options are, then scale down if need be. I tend to not let price get in the way though unless I'm paying a lot of money for little benefit.

I went from a dual loop to cool my 5970 and core i7 920 both overclocked. Since my 5970 had a cold bug, I decided to just go with one loop to keep the 5970 warmer. I have since replaced that 5970 with another that has no cold bug. The new problem I had was with both of them overclocked, I could not keep it stable running in one loop with a Thermochill PA120.3.

I went back to a dual loop and haven't had any issues since. Just food for thought.

Back