Watercooling Assembly Help (total n00b)

jreffy

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, thanks in advance for offering up some help.

I've just purchased the Black Ice GT Stealth, 240 mm rad. I have 2 120mm fans ready to go as well. I planned on mounting the fans to the roof of my case and the radiator below it. Except

how the hell do you attach these all together?

The fans came with some long bolts that would be long enough to go through the rad and the fans but I have no idea how you would screw the bolts on. Ideally I think attaching the rad through the bottom edge of the fans, and then attaching the top edge of the fans to the top of the case, would be idea. I just can't figure out how the hell to do this, especially since you can't put bolts through the radiator with the head of tbe bolts against the fins and the threaded section of the bolt facing up.

Just really irritating that I can't figure this out =/

Well the GTS series has M3 threaded holes (standard fan screws). So if you are lucky enough and your fans are the type that you could use a regular fan screw that is the best way. However some fans have the entire width of the fan closed at the screw holes (one long column). It sounds like this is the type of fan you have. With this you have to use a threaded rod all the way through the rad and out the other end where you tighten it with a bolt.

what I do is put a nut between the rad. fins and the fan mount on the rad and use screws that go through the lower fan ears and into the rad mount. just make sure the screws are not too long and go into the rad fins! I use some angled pliers to hold the nuts though the fan blades. you could glue the nuts in place too, I've done that before, just make sure the nuts are centered. Or you could glue a nut and threaded rod to the rad. again with the nut under the fan mount. Glue it so the threaded rod cannot move. then slide the fan on the rods and use the rods to also mount to the case with nuts.

DO NOT screw your screw into the fan so that it comes into contact with your radiator fins!!!

You could do this on older BIP and BIX radiators...

The new GTS radiators WILL SPRING A LEAK if your screw is fastened into the finnage below!

This is a WARNING.

1 1/2" screws, and any plastic washer, will be just long enough so the screw goes through the fan and into the rad... enough to make contact, not enough to break it. Any standard (1/16" or higher) washer will work. Make sure your setup goes this way:

Radiator -> Fan -> washer ->screw head.

Back