WOW, very nice. Didnt think it happen this fast!!

How did you get your hands on one? Order it from a Systems Manufactor?

mashie said:
Well I managed to order one before Overclockers UK had to stop selling OEM cards a week ago.

Ah, I plan on getting my with UT2007. My only motivation to get one :D

Wow, so fast...and it looks really good too.

Hm. Kinda makes me wonder though..since this is the same card that supposedly had a fan blockage for a week and didn't screw up.

Adionik said:
Wow, so fast...and it looks really good too.

Hm. Kinda makes me wonder though..since this is the same card that supposedly had a fan blockage for a week and didn't screw up.

It was also sitting idle the whole time because....well...there wasn't anything for it to be doing! :)

Erasmus354 said:
It was also sitting idle the whole time because....well...there wasn't anything for it to be doing! :)

Not true...
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029290126&postcount=37

I did extensive testing of the boxes demo during that period. With a heatsink that small I can't imagine it takes very long to get to its max temperature. There is no usage meter that I am aware of, so I really am not sure how much of the PPU’s resources the demo uses though.

Terra...

Very Nice Mashie!
Next you just need to find a way to WC your own brain! :p ;)

I didn't even know the PPU was out yet, looks like I have to go try to buy one now.

Very nice Mashie...man...i really need to get up to speed on the PPU, I've been a little out of the swing of things for a little while now. :(

mashie said:
It got hot enough to melt the plastic fan, however it is nice that some chips actually can handle a bit of a heat without letting the magic smoke out.

Hmm, thinking of it, I wonder how the equivalent of graphical artifacts due to overheating will be displayed on an overheated PPU? Random pieces starting to fly around you? :D

I've already had some pretty comic bugs happen at times in HL2 and Oblivion, one particularly recent in Oblivion where down in an Ayleid ruin something weird happened with one of the traps and a person got caught in an never ending ellastically stretching mess thumping around the room along with a ton of blocks. Never ended, even if I zoned out and back in. And that's without a PPU at all, much less an overclocked one :eek:

After getting a little more "up to speed" on the PPU in general I'm starting to get a little interested...mainly because of the fact that UT2007 looks to be supporting it...which is very very good news.

We'll see, for now I'll sit back and see how things pan out, and if the PPU is really getting that hot, I can only imagine what it might start doing do a number of h2O setups that aren't already built heavily towards the "big boar" end of things.

Very nice none-the-less...hope to see some pics of this thing installed. :)

mashie said:
It got hot enough to melt the plastic fan, however it is nice that some chips actually can handle a bit of a heat without letting the magic smoke out.

Actually we should consider a more likely cause, that it was the fan motor which was being blocked by case wires for a week that caused the heat buildup and eventually caused the plastic to melt and not actually the PPU chip itself. But regardless of that, still cool to see what your doing, just be sure to update us with some pics of the final setup ;)

Nice.......Is there any way to overclock those things? Prob not but never hurts to ask.

Tripp17 said:
Nice.......Is there any way to overclock those things? Prob not but never hurts to ask.

I was wondering the same thing myself...and after going through the PPU FAQ...all I saw was the fact that there isn't currently a way to do it...unless something has come about since that time.

Very nice. I was curious what the overclocking possibilities were on this too.

cornelious0_0 said:
I was wondering the same thing myself...and after going through the PPU FAQ...all I saw was the fact that there isn't currently a way to do it...unless something has come about since that time.

There has to be some sort of PLL controlling clock frequency, right?

Yep, Ageia has announced the clock frequency of the chip, but I don't remember what it is. It IS overclockable, but who knows if your average enthusiast will be able to get it done via software.

There's no registry settings for it that I can find - which means it's either set in the drivers or fixed...

No interesting looking strings in Athena.sys either - I confess I don't know exactly what I'm looking for though! :p

jebo_4jc said:
Yep, Ageia has announced the clock frequency of the chip, but I don't remember what it is. It IS overclockable, but who knows if your average enthusiast will be able to get it done via software.

I think it runs at 400mhz

mashie i want to come and see your computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me ;)

Majin said:
Very Nice Mashie!
Next you just need to find a way to WC your own brain! :p ;)

I think our brains are already watercooled. ;)

If it's PCI, can't you just bump the PCI bus up a bit? If your other PCI cards don't mind, of course. :p

My main question is can you buy the retail version of PPU in Canada/USA yet.

My second question is can you overclock a PPU. If not what’s the point of water cooling it. I am sure a silent large heatsink will do if you can overclock it.

But then again some one had to do it first.

Wait one more question can you monitor the temp of the PPU core? Does it have a temp sensor on the card?

Any game running on the UE3 should support the PhysX card, including my personal favorite: Huxley!

I just received my sample card from Ageia today (actually a BFG card) along with some demos provided by Ageia, including Cellfactor. I have to swap out one of the stock HSF from my 7900GTX SLI setup in order to have an open PCI slot (my only existing free PCI slot not obscured by an HSF in occupied by my X-Fi). For that I scored a Zalman VF900. I hope it'll work.

GodFodder said:
For that I scored a Zalman VF900. I hope it'll work.

Zalman's a dual-slot solution too dude - gonna have to do a hot slot shuffle...

What board you got? I've got an Asus A8N32 - fits like a charm if you've only got 1 double slot cooling solution (Arctic silencer here).

Trick is to put your graphics card in the lower x16 slot - this frees up 2 PCI slots above it - works best if your case has a floor vent, and a chassis fan over the graphics-card area will help keep your PPU cool.
:cool:

Well, even putting your primary graphics card in the lower slot doesn't help much, since there are only 3 PCI slots. You can use 2 of them with 1 double sized graphics card in one slot or the other (it always blocks 1 pci slot). You can only use 1 of them with 2 double slot cards. (that one just above the lower PCI-E slot)

I've got an A8N32 as well, and I'm already trying to figure out which route to go to allow myself 2 PCI slots so I can use my X-Fi and a PhysX card at the same time. Like so many others, UT2007 is my primary motivation.

*pats his 3 empty PCI slots*
*looks at his PCI X-Fi and PCI NIC*
.oO(Now I am even more glad that I havn't gone PCI-e yet...no worries for me)

Terra - Asus P4T-E...5 PCI, 1 AGP ;)

GodFodder said:
I just received my sample card from Ageia today (actually a BFG card) along with some demos provided by Ageia, including Cellfactor. I have to swap out one of the stock HSF from my 7900GTX SLI setup in order to have an open PCI slot (my only existing free PCI slot not obscured by an HSF in occupied by my X-Fi). For that I scored a Zalman VF900. I hope it'll work.

how did you get that, and you have cellfactor? :eek:

mashie said:
I feel sorry for you too... :p ;)

I just wonder how much longer I can game the new games on this rig if I add a PPU ;) *L*

Terra - Best rig I ever buildt ;)

Terra said:
I just wonder how much longer I can game the new games on this rig if I add a PPU ;) *L*
I'd say 1.5 - 2 more years (for an agp pc in general)

Back