Water + Heat Pipes (MOD pics)

Any other thing please let me know i will try to see if i can do it. Oh by the way, i am not going to buy any other Thermometer. That Meat thermometer will do it :D

No it wont. http://www.svc.com/easywatch.html or http://www.svc.com/mt-100.html will do. Hell, the second one is even a cool toy. If you want to end the controversy, you'll use a real temperature monitor. I'm sorry, but a meat thermometer is just not suited to measure a single point - it's meant to be put in something and measure the temperature of a large object, such as a steak. If you simply touch the meat thermometer to the fin you're going to be measuring mostly the air temperature.

No it wont. http://www.svc.com/easywatch.html or http://www.svc.com/mt-100.html will do. Hell, the second one is even a cool toy. If you want to end the controversy, you'll use a real temperature monitor. I'm sorry, but a meat thermometer is just not suited to measure a single point - it's meant to be put in something and measure the temperature of a large object, such as a steak. If you simply touch the meat thermometer to the fin you're going to be measuring mostly the air temperature.

If there is a delta among the different tests then I don't see a major problem with the meat thermometer :p as long as he is consistent with the readings. What I personally want to see is a general indication of how each set up performs, regardless of temperature accuracy. Delta differences suffices for me.

If he is willing to go the extra mile and get better equipment, great. If not, please don't be assy. He really doesn't have to prove anything. We should be thankful that he is willing to accommodate for more testing. :p

Just to warn you, you're not gonna change anyone's minds with a $5 meat thermometer.

No one's making you change your setup, it's your choice if you want to spend the $ on a thermometer to really test this. If you're happy with it, leave it and let the thread die. But just know that you're probably just gonna be bashed more if you post meat thermometer pics again.

Glad to see you attempting to prove this works, despite the criticism. It's at least respectable.

The thermometer is only going to show that there is(n't) a difference, it won't be exact, but it should be enough to silence or give ground to the nay-sayers.

I don't know why everyone is being a anal about the surface being a little scratched.

If you didn't know, when you mount your water block, heatsink, cold plate, TEC, etc on a CPU/GPU/NB/SB then look under afterwards you'll notice the surface gets scratched anyways.

Honestly, you don't want a perfect surface anyhow, you need some irregularities (still flat surface) for optimal transfer and for somewhere for the TIM to grab onto.

Either way mirror polish, 2000, 1000, 500 grit almost all the same shit different flavour when it comes down to it.

What's the difference, 0c - 1c? I would be more worried about ambient temps and keeping that at a constant rather than being all gayed up about a surface being not perfect anymore.

/end rant

What's the difference, 0c - 1c? I would be more worried about ambient temps and keeping that at a constant rather than being all gayed up about a surface being not perfect anymore.
/end rant

That's you. Some of get all "gayed up" over 1°C. Afterall, if you're going to be spending $350 on watercooling gear, why unnecessarily sacrifice performance?

If he is willing to go the extra mile and get better equipment, great. If not, please don't be assy. He really doesn't have to prove anything. We should be thankful that he is willing to accommodate for more testing. :p

If you're going to post a guide, you should be responsible enough to prove that it works lest 10 other people go waste their time and money. No, he doesn't "have to" prove anything, but he should.

holy hell, this crap is still going. I bet annaconda had no idea how up in arms people would be about this idea. good lord!

Fujimitsu or any body else how don;t like my Meat Thermometer, buy me a good thermometer. I would be glad to do testing again

I am at work right now. The testing will begin after 5pm tonight, Don;t forget to login for the final episode of "WATER + HEATPIPES (mod)".:D

WTF

2.jpg

Fujimitsu or any body else how don;t like my Meat Thermometer, buy me a good thermometer. I would be glad to do testing again

I am at work right now. The testing will begin after 5pm tonight, Don;t forget to login for the final episode of "WATER + HEATPIPES (mod)".:D

I'm trying to be nice here, don't waste your time.

The device has way too large of a probe, and is way to inaccurate to be used for this type of thing. Sorry, but the temp readings are gonna be too easily swayed by other factors to make this a convincing test at all.

I appreciate you trying, but you really ought to just let this die if you can't properly test it.

you're not gonna be able to disprove most people's criticisms with a meat thermometer.

That doesn't make it anyone's responsibility to help you out, if you don't have the tools to test this.. fine. But don't expect to get much more support this way.

But don't expect to get much more support this way.

I don't think he came here for your 'support'. He came here to show what he did and said he thinks it helps and you and your ilk jumped all over him. Maybe it's you who should let it die. Don't like the idea? Don't do it.

The device has way too large of a probe, and is way to inaccurate to be used for this type of thing. Sorry, but the temp readings are gonna be too easily swayed by other factors to make this a convincing test at all.

I appreciate you trying, but you really ought to just let this die if you can't properly test it.

Mine is accurate within 5 degrees at 500 degrees.

CPUZ was readying my processor running at 67 degrees last night, put my cooking thermometer down at the base of the heatsink and it was reading 64 degrees. Used a regular drug store digital thermometer and it was reading 64.8
Considering that all he has to do is show a decrease in temperature, lets say, 5 more degrees, then there is no reason why a cooking thermometer shouldn't work.

It doesn't need to be cost effective, smart, or better then another cooling method. All it has to do is work.

I don't intend to be mean or anything Fujimitsu, but you seem to really want this to die. I mean, it sounds like your close to begging him not to go further....Somehow I don't think your asking for his own good either, considering the bad mouthing of him you have done.
I suggest you just sit back and wait instead of going on and on about how he cant and shouldn't go further.

cheers

CPUZ doesnt read temps, and 5c is so far of a margin of error it makes me laugh, i dont think its the fact that, what he did is absolutely crazy, and doesnt work. I mean ive done stuff in the past when i was a young teenager that didnt work, that i was just experimenting with, but what is really disgraceful here is all the people cheering him on, rather then giving him the truth about why it doesnt work.

How is 5c within the margin of error? The maximum temp recorded so far is about 40c... 5/40 = 13% Which is well above the margin of a reasonable margin of error.

You should think about "water vs water" and attach the waterblock directly to the NB... like it should be... where it gets way better contact and surface area.... and doesn't ruin the base of your beautiful block....

Oh, and if you are going to use a damn meat thermometer, atleast use the same contact point...

Attaching it to the NB directly defeats the purpose. The entire point is to use one contact point to cool all the same chips the original heatpipe setup cools.

The NB releases the most heat, if you know how heatpipes work, then the heat from the NB is travelling to the top heatsink on the mosfets. Removing that heatsink (cut the heatpipe) removes all the major heat being taken to the upper mosfet heatsink, thus greatly cooling that too.

There is no reason a SB needs to be cooler than 100 degrees farenheit anyway, so thats a moot point.

I mean, 100 degrees farenheit is 37.777 degrees celcius, aka, nothing. Though I thoroughly enjoy Annaconda freaking out over his NB reaching 37.7° and having to shut off his computer.

As a good point to make... I have a silent 40mm fan just barely running on my mosfet heatsink on my p5b deluxe (not the windtunnel maker) and my NB is barely warm to the touch... which pretty much means i'm looking at the same exact temperatures as Annaconda. Whats even better, if I stuck a waterblock on my NB and cut the heatpipe just leaving the heatsink on the mosfets, the 40mm fan would cool the mosfets to room temperature easily and the NB would have all the benefits of water

Conclusion:

Well in the end it appears that AIR VS WATER was a close call. The real difference was on the P35 Chipset 10F, which amazed me also, because i think the source of all heat is P35 Chipset. The rest of the places will benefit with either type of cooling.

But Passive is definately is not a recommended solution.

Water Block Surface Picture after mounting and un-mounting so many times:

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

and 5c is so far of a margin of error it makes me laugh, i dont think its the fact that, what he did is absolutely crazy, and doesnt work.

Hum, I thought the margin of error was 4-5 FAHRENHEIT not celcious. Big difference. And didn't we agree that what was important is the delta not necessarily the actual temp? Talk about misinformation, hilarious :rolleyes:

God, just lap the waterblock, cut the v-regulator heat sinks off, put it together like it should be and close the thread... so frustrating.

I think this is a great idea!

Why? Well because it is creative, and no one else is doing it.

And all the people bashing him just be quiet, your getting annoying.

Reasons why hes does it the way he is doing it.

1. Its quieter than fans.
2. Its cheaper than buying two Vreg blocks. Those are what $30-$40 a piece? Yes they are.
3. BECAUSE HE CAN!!!

Also if he thinks it works, it WORKS. Its his computer he paid for it, he has tweaked it. And it runs better.

So people who are hating... Give him $80 to buy two Vreg blocks and he will do it the correct way. Also he can not cut up the current hsf. Because if he were to rma it they would deny the rma because the item had been cut up.

My .02 cents.

It does point out that modding the heatsink to mate better with a waterblock, while keeping the heatpiping intact would work well. Sure kinda hookie just touching the fins but instead take it off, bend the fins over at the top down to the heatpipe and braze the whole lot together to form a nice flat surface, then mount the waterblock and it'd be a nice quiet ghetto hack.

Meat thermometer or not, the results are quite outside the margin of error. Thank god Annaconda. This thread can finally be put to rest.

I believe you went the extra mile to satisfy the ones who just wanted something to fuss about. That said it appears in some manner to work I say congrats! We all can think of a different way to do the same thing, it is the end result that really matters if works for me. I personally feel lapping a heatsink to 2000 grit is overrated I did it with 400 grit and 2000 grit and found no difference.
It is just like some people say you have to use artic silver paste to get the best results when this forum did the test proving that is just a myth. I use type 44 non-silicon thermal paste cost about 5 bucks for an ounce! and I got the same results no matter that I didn't use the artic silver.

Back