Water Cooling solutions for RX 580?

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Lumpus, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Lumpus

Lumpus Limp Gawd

Ok, it's a hot summer and the a/c in my computer room sucks (another issue)...

My Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ LE is running temps on average of 45c on idle (MS Office/Firefox), gaming at 74c with peaks at 80c. Fan is peaking at only around 60%, so that suggests that I really shouldn't be too worried about the GPU temps, maybe? Yes, I know that all of AMD's current gen cards are all heat burners (which conversely will help this room in the winter... all three weeks of it, later).

CPU is already w/c in a big Corsair Air 540 case with 5 140mm fans providing interior circulation. Will be soon replacing 2 of the 140's with 3 120's along the first intake grill for even better air movement.

Worry some / not at all? Undervolt the GPU a little bit maybe?

If I do decide to go semi-nuts and try to w/c this, what's a good product package to consider that isn't too tech intensive?

*********Edit***********

Ok, Google is my friend... some 2017 RX 580 review testing suggests that my temps are spot on and maybe even a little lower than reviewer results. Ok... not worry then.

Still curious about w/c options... or just wait for 7nm Navi ;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

I would not worry about it...The best you can do WC'ing wise is that Bitspower block that cools the GPU and memory i think but the VRMs aren't actively cooled..The block covers them but the water doesn't travel over that part of the coldplate which was stupid. This is assuming your gpu uses a reference 480/580 pcb. You can get an Alpahcool hybrid cooler that cools the gpu but the rest is cooled by a traditional HS.

3. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

IF you have an extra aio, red-mod it.

4. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Default fan profile is pretty weak. If you're not concerned about noise, bump up the fan curve.

I have mine on 30% at 40C to 90% at 85C. This gets me better performance, as the card doesn't throttle as soon (or at all).

Water cooling is probably not needed once you set a more aggressive fan, but could be a fun project anyway.

pendragon1 likes this.