Water cooling noob takes on another custom loop

I'm all about insane engineering projects... but there comes a point where water cooling a 3950x and a 3090 in a custom ITX loop is going to need some actual radiator real-estate to stretch its legs... The law of thermal dynamics comes into play here and while your ITX custom loop twister game is very strong and fully deserving of [H] accolades, the severe lack of radiator runway is going to end up biting you in the $#%*!. :)

I'd consider looking into a larger external rad/fan setup that you can hook-up via quick disconnects.... unless you plan to just seriously underclock the whole setup as well... which would sort of defeat the purpose of running high performance components.

What are temps like? I recent added 240mm more rad to my loop (3900x and 6900xt with a prexisting 420mm rad) and my temps barely changed. Maybe 2-3c?

I'm all about insane engineering projects... but there comes a point where water cooling a 3950x and a 3090 in a custom ITX loop is going to need some actual radiator real-estate to stretch its legs... The law of thermal dynamics comes into play here and while your ITX custom loop twister game is very strong and fully deserving of [H] accolades, the severe lack of radiator runway is going to end up biting you in the $#%*!. :)

I'd consider looking into a larger external rad/fan setup that you can hook-up via quick disconnects.... unless you plan to just seriously underclock the whole setup as well... which would sort of defeat the purpose of running high performance components.
I am adding a 240mm slim rad on the bottom when I do the GPU. The CPU I am fine leaving stock, PBO does it's thing and adjusts with temp. If anything I will undervolt a bit.

What are temps like? I recent added 240mm more rad to my loop (3900x and 6900xt with a prexisting 420mm rad) and my temps barely changed. Maybe 2-3c?
I just played division 2 for 2 hours, cpu package peaked at 72C, water temp 39C, GPU 69C (air). I'm fine with the CPU temp, but an undervolt should bring it down. I was having stability issues so I set it back to stock yesterday, but I think it was my ram being pushed to far, or IF. I'll mess with it later.

I am adding a 240mm slim rad on the bottom when I do the GPU. The CPU I am fine leaving stock, PBO does it's thing and adjusts with temp. If anything I will undervolt a bit.
Not a lot of room for a 240mm slim AND radiator capable fans down there. Are you planning on mounting the fans under the outside of the case? Extending the case legs a bit? Even blocked, that 3090 will still end up covering/obstructing a good chunk of room there - and there's the added plumbing to contend with. More power to you if you can get it all to fit and actually work, but it looks to me like you are trying to shoe horn just a wee bit too much into a very limited space and will end up with it performing a bit like this shirt:

1611891388956.png

Not trying to knock you - just trying to be realistic. Again, more power to you if you can actually pull it off! :D

Not a lot of room for a 240mm slim AND radiator capable fans down there. Are you planning on mounting the fans under the outside of the case? Extending the case legs a bit? Even blocked, that 3090 will still end up covering/obstructing a good chunk of room there - and there's the added plumbing to contend with. More power to you if you can get it all to fit and actually work, but it looks to me like you are trying to shoe horn just a wee bit too much into a very limited space and will end up with it performing a bit like this shirt:

View attachment 323948

Not trying to knock you - just trying to be realistic. Again, more power to you if you can actually pull it off! :D
thanks for being a dick. I haven't looked like that since the China Buffet closed due to covid :D

Really though, I'll see what happens. If a 240 + dual 120s isn't enough, I will do something crazier yet.

thanks for being a dick. I haven't looked like that since the China Buffet closed due to covid :D

Really though, I'll see what happens. If a 240 + dual 120s isn't enough, I will do something crazier yet.
Micro dual stage phase cooler?

Also curious about what model PS you are running - and how close to its max rated load you are pushing it.

Looking forward to seeing how much more shoe horning you can come up with and if it works out in the end! :D

Last edited:
Micro dual stage phase cooler?

Also curious about what model PS you are running - and how close to its max rated load you are pushing it.

Looking forward to seeing how much more shoe horning you can come up with and if it works out in the end! :D
it's a corsair sf750 platinum. I don't think I've seen more than 600w pulled from the wall at any given time.

The fitting locations for that radiator aren’t doing ya any favors - lots more 90 degree elbows. I wouldn’t even try to shoehorn it in there until after the GPU block arrives. And it looks like that Byksky block’s fittings offset might even protrude past the case’s side panel... EK’s new 3090 FE block with its back end fittings orientation might work better. Still, any block with the rad/fans sandwiched right underneath like that is going to seriously obstruct good air flow.

On the bright side, if/when you decide to upgrade to a proper water cooling capable sized case, you’ll have most everything you‘ll need parts wise (well, except for perhaps a nicely sized radiator) to do a nice custom loop. :D

Last edited:
The fitting locations for that radiator aren’t doing ya any favors - lots more 90 degree elbows. I wouldn’t even try to shoehorn it in there until after the GPU block arrives. And it looks like that Byksky block’s fittings offset might even protrude past the case’s side panel... EK’s new 3090 FE block with its back end fittings orientation might work better. Still, any block with the rad/fans sandwiched right underneath like that is going to seriously obstruct good air flow.

On the bright side, if/when you decide to upgrade to a proper water cooling capable sized case, you’ll have most everything you‘ll need parts wise (well, perhaps besides a nicely sized radiator) to do a nice custom loop. :D
honestly if it doesn't work out, I'm just going to build a case out of aluminum and extrusion rails to my own spec. That being said, I checked the dimensions of the bykski block and it will fit with 1-2mm to spare! And remember this is an FE card/block, the frontmost 120mm fan will be blowing straight up, the pcb doesn't extend that far. and the other will blow air onto the block, which will deflect out the air vents on the side panel. I have more plans to help with air flow, we will see what amazon drops off in the next few days.

For looks?
no, for airflow. Two 120mm fans on the bottom, one on the rear, and one on the front will all be set as intake for positive pressure. That air will need to go somewhere, and the stock side panel wasn't going to cut it. I really don't think it will look bad at all once its done and painted.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Idk, assuming the original door is aluminum, I would have probably just cut a nice square in it and then lined it with some good mesh.

Good luck with it though. I will say, with every update this thread gets more and more interesting :D

The fitting locations for that radiator aren’t doing ya any favors - lots more 90 degree elbows. I wouldn’t even try to shoehorn it in there until after the GPU block arrives. And it looks like that Byksky block’s fittings offset might even protrude past the case’s side panel...
You may be right. This should solve it..

20210203_102933.jpg

You can do it! I was running a watercooled 3950x/rtx3090 with no issues in a 9.5l case. I have since upgraded to a 5900x and still no issues.

good luck!

I agree it's doable. My temps are pretty dang good with 2 x 240mm rads, including that TX240 and slim fans. Looking at the two temp sensors in the loop, it adds a fair share of cooling.

Of course, I'm using a 5900X vs a 5950X, and a 3080 instead of 3900, but it feels like I have enough cushion temp-wise it should work with those two parts as well.

I think on a single 240mm rad it would be a no-go, but the slim 240 combined with that reasonably thick 120mm just might be up to the task!

I agree it's doable. My temps are pretty dang good with 2 x 240mm rads, including that TX240 and slim fans. Looking at the two temp sensors in the loop, it adds a fair share of cooling.

Of course, I'm using a 5900X vs a 5950X, and a 3080 instead of 3900, but it feels like I have enough cushion temp-wise it should work with those two parts as well.

I think on a single 240mm rad it would be a no-go, but the slim 240 combined with that reasonably thick 120mm just might be up to the task!
it's two thick 120s, a 45mm and a 60mm. Anyway, my waterblock hasn't even shipped from china yet, I guess I ordered too close to chinese new year for them to get it in the post. Hopefully soon, but at the same time, I need to mentally recover from building this custom loop before I do it all over again. And I've decided to lose the res altogether. And mount the pump somewhere else. And, well you know how it goes once you get your hands actually in there how plans change real fast.

it's two thick 120s, a 45mm and a 60mm.
Wow that's all quite well hidden. I can see the rads on the front and back but he other two are hard to spot. One must be on the side of the case that's removed for the pic? Adding the 240mm to that setup should cool quite nicely IMO.

I can relate to the mental aspects. I started out thinking building a custom ITX loop with custom cables would be a fun holiday project. I'm quite pleased with the result but doing the work felt daunting at times 😄

Wow that's all quite well hidden. I can see the rads on the front and back but he other two are hard to spot. One must be on the side of the case that's removed for the pic? Adding the 240mm to that setup should cool quite nicely IMO.

I can relate to the mental aspects. I started out thinking building a custom ITX loop with custom cables would be a fun holiday project. I'm quite pleased with the result but doing the work felt daunting at times 😄
No, my bad, I meant 45mm thick and 60mm thick 120s, just the two!

Reactions: Epos7
like this
I havent read the whole thread and Im sure someone else might have pointed it put... That glass side panel isnt helping at all.
A mesh side that can support fans or a rad would be nice.

Im building in a Corsair NR200, but with lesser hardware.
The plan is a 280mm aio in the side.
5800x and 360ti after they get here that is.
3060ti is on back order so who knows, but at least I have the cpu coming for sure.
Sending the 3600 back to amazon unopened

I havent read the whole thread and Im sure someone else might have pointed it put... That glass side panel isnt helping at all.
A mesh side that can support fans or a rad would be nice.

Im building in a Corsair NR200, but with lesser hardware.
The plan is a 280mm aio in the side.
5800x and 360ti after they get here that is.
3060ti is on back order so who knows, but at least I have the cpu coming for sure.
Sending the 3600 back to amazon unopened
I have the aluminum side panel version, which I have plans to improve.

That new baby is pretty wide/deep... So, are you going to “broom the hood“ in car parlance like when a supercharger gets added into the mix? Or maybe add a cage, Mad Max style, around it? 😁
it SHOULD fit without modification to the side panel. Theoretically. Within like 1mm of spec depending how Lian Li measured. Will find out soon enough!

it SHOULD fit without modification to the side panel. Theoretically. Within like 1mm of spec depending how Lian Li measured. Will find out soon enough!
Might be a good idea to install the GPU with the screws on the block still loose, to check fitment before snuggin' it down.

I still rather like the Mad Max extension cage idea... with lots of bright, shiny and chrome tube fittings. Witness me!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint, but with a lot of things, plans have changed. I am building a new custom loop, in a new case, with new parts. More to come next week (I will update thread title and keep it in this thread).

Not disappointed at all - OK maybe just a little bit at not having a Mad Max themed bulging chrome monstrosity stuffed in there to admire... :D

And again: "On the bright side, if/when you decide to upgrade to a proper water cooling capable sized case, you’ll have most everything you‘ll need parts wise (well, except for perhaps a nicely sized radiator) to do a nice custom loop."

So, are you still planning to go as small as possible, or are you going with something with a bit more leg room so you don't have to take up advanced case yoga?

Not disappointed at all - OK maybe just a little bit at not having a Mad Max themed bulging chrome monstrosity stuffed in there to admire... :D

And again: "On the bright side, if/when you decide to upgrade to a proper water cooling capable sized case, you’ll have most everything you‘ll need parts wise (well, except for perhaps a nicely sized radiator) to do a nice custom loop."

So, are you still planning to go as small as possible, or are you going with something with a bit more leg room so you don't have to take up advanced case yoga?
the case I'm getting supports dual 360s, which is the plan. ;)

Back