Water Cooling LayOut - Please review.

Orddie

2[H]4U
I have a Corsair Obsidian Series 500D RGB SE case that i'm looking to water cool.

I wanna do a 3 rad setup using the corsair Hydro series "stuff"

looking at the built in configuration tool on the site, they recommend a 2 rad setup (top and bottom), but i was thinking of doing on the back (see pic).

Would go from Pump --> GPU --> Bad Rad --> Bridge cooling ---> upper rad --> CPU --> front rad --> Pump / Res

The motherboard is a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA and has built in north bridge cooling

a single pump enough for this?
good idea to have 3 rad's? I see a lot of people going from GPU to CPU, I would think that kills the CPU temps.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
yeah id skip the back rad and just use the top and front. re cpu or gpu first id say base it on what your doing. if you gpu is going to be taxed more put the cpu first and vise versa.

yeah id skip the back rad and just use the top and front. re cpu or gpu first id say base it on what your doing. if you gpu is going to be taxed more put the cpu first and vise versa.
to be clear, you are saying do Pump --> GPU --> Rad --> CPU + North --> Rad --> Res?

yeah that'll work. and if you dont want troubles draining it, do longer tubing runs from the cpu to the front rad mounted with the tubes at the bottom. sorta like this but that front tube would be in the front corner. cant paint behind the front rad...
at least that how i'd do it. if im wrong someone will be sure ti chime in.

upload_2019-11-28_17-59-49.png

it'll barely barely make a difference but you could if you want.
I wanna separate GPU and cpu with a rad for gaming takes my GPU up to 80c. I can’t see dumping that hot of liquid into my cpu. Yes, the GPU is air cooled currently but I’m guessing the temp difference, while lower, will not be below 50c when leaving the GPU.

I currently do not OC the proc. I’m a little more OK sharing north bridge and CPU without putting a rad between.

thinking through this more, guessing it would be best to start with proc since that will commonly be the lower heat generator verse GPU

I wanna separate GPU and cpu with a rad for gaming takes my GPU up to 80c. I can’t see dumping that hot of liquid into my cpu. Yes, the GPU is air cooled currently but I’m guessing the temp difference, while lower, will not be below 50c when leaving the GPU.

I currently do not OC the proc. I’m a little more OK sharing north bridge and CPU without putting a rad between.

thinking through this more, guessing it would be best to start with proc since that will commonly be the lower heat generator verse GPU
the paint pic i posted does have the top rad between the gpu and cpu. but yes thats why i said to think about how you'll be using the system. 'cause you could go pump>cpu>gpu>rad>rad>res. either way will work if youre working it hard they both will end up basically the same temp after the water temp equalizes.

Law of thermodynamics says the order is moot.
Rez before pump is all that matters.

Did I miss the part where you say what you are cooling? Are you planning to over clock? Is your objective temps, noise, looks/fun, any or all of the above?
I've run my cpu and gpu on a 2x140mm rad for a long time. Multiple cpu/gpu upgrades. All have run within air temp specs, but silent while doing it. If you don't plan to really push an OC, you most definitely don't need 3 radiators.

Dual loop is also an option if you are worried about one piece overheating the other.

Law of thermodynamics says the order is moot.
Rez before pump is all that matters.

Did I miss the part where you say what you are cooling? Are you planning to over clock? Is your objective temps, noise, looks/fun, any or all of the above?
I've run my cpu and gpu on a 2x140mm rad for a long time. Multiple cpu/gpu upgrades. All have run within air temp specs, but silent while doing it. If you don't plan to really push an OC, you most definitely don't need 3 radiators.

Dual loop is also an option if you are worried about one piece overheating the other.

intel 9900k and 2080Ti

I mostly game, but at 2k to 4K. Cpu usage is never a concern but the 9900k does get warm. The 2080Ti is a founders, dual fan edition. I have no doubt putting the thing under water will make a huge difference but in the end, keeping killing some of the heat before inputting into another hot device would be great.
Currently I have an AIO cooling the 9900k and GPU is stock. Neither are OC’ed

Why would I not want to add a 120 rad in the back?

You are adding complexity for little to no gain. You're also making a huge mistake with covering up all intake/exhaust spots. The latter will reduce performance greatly w/o no clear way to fix. Even w/o a 120 rad in back, you only 120mm fan as possible intake. Scenarios that will play out are use front rad as intake, upper rad as exhaust. vice versa. But then warmed/used air will be feeding the other rad reducing performance. If you go to exhaust on bother rads, they'll be starved for intake and again a perf drop.

It's counterintuitive, but loop order does not matter in PC watercooling loops. The pumps we use are so overkill for the purpose, the fluid is moving so quickly that the entire loop settles into a temperature equilibrium. You may see a half a degree delta across the inlet and outlet of a block, but the specific heat capacity of water is such that a tiny increase in temperature like that has a negligible effect on cooling capability.

Make sure your reservoir is directly gravity-feeding your pump, and route the rest of your loop for ease and/or aesthetics. The component order makes no difference.

As said, loop order doesn't matter with a powerful enough pump. The D5 should give you at least 0.5 GPM in that configuration (most watercoolers target 1 GPM), a 300 watt heat source will raise the water temperature by 2.3 C. That's your delta between inlet and outlet. Unless you're running at the absolute edge, a maximum of 2.3 degrees will not make a difference. At 1 GPM, the delta drops to 1.6 degrees.

The CPU generally runs at higher temperatures than the GPU due to differences in heat transfer (GPUs are generally direct die while CPUs go through IHS). Having the CPU first is generally more beneficial overall, but as I said above, you're looking at only a few degrees.

If you want to absolutely maximize cooling efficiency, you can put the exhaust radiator directly after the components, and then feed the intake radiator. This way the exhaust is always at a higher temperature than the intake. However, Pendragon's diagram is the cleanest and simplest flow pattern, so I would go with that.

went to Microcenter today.

got the following
  • CORSAIR XG7 RGB 2080TI GPUB BLOCK
  • CORSAIR XC7 RGB CPU BLOCK 115XAM4
  • CORSAIR XR5 240X33MM RADIATOR
  • CORSAIR XR7 360X55MM RADIATOR
  • CORSAIR XD5 RGB PUMP/RES COMBO
  • 2x EKWB CRYOFUEL CLEAR 1L
  • THERMALTA HARD TUBE BENDING KIT
  • 4x ACRYLIC Tubes

should i be doing,
  • push/pull fan config from the front rad
  • push out fan config on the top rad

or would you recommend something else?

what he said^^ and i'd put an intake fan in the back spot to help cool the vrms. thats how i have my setup, just with aios.
should i be doing,
  • push/pull fan config from the front rad
  • push out fan config on the top rad

or would you recommend something else?

How much it helps depends on your radiators, and more specifically the fin density. The higher the fin density, the more push/pull helps. Push/pull is always better than just push or pull, but that means a greater investment in fans. The relatively low 13 FPI radiators you have won't really benefit from push/pull unless you're running below 800 RPM or so.

Back