Water Cooling + Dry Ice. Is it possible?

Blananar

Weaksauce
Is it possible, to put a block of dry ice, in a water cooling reservoir, and have it cool more effectively than regular water cooling? I was talking about this with my friends, and they said it would not be possible, but I kinda don't believe them, so, can you guys tell me the CORRECT answer?

Blananar said:
Is it possible, to put a block of dry ice, in a water cooling reservoir, and have it cool more effectively than regular water cooling? I was talking about this with my friends, and they said it would not be possible, but I kinda don't believe them, so, can you guys tell me the CORRECT answer?

Sure, but your reservoir had better not be sealed, or else you'll have a fairly lethal bomb in your computer.
It's also not a long term solution, of course, as the dry ice will eventually vanish.

Ok, thanks. Now, for a slight change of subject. How about, liquid nitrogen + water in the reservoir? Would it make it so cold that the components of the computer would freeze? Because, I am looking for a very chill way to cool a computer, that blends into a watercooling system, and uses items not necessarily associated with the computer, to add cooling power... If liquid nitrogen (and adding defroster to the mix) works, that would be the ticket...

Blananar said:
Ok, thanks. Now, for a slight change of subject. How about, liquid nitrogen + water in the reservoir?.
Water + very cold stuff = ICE :D

Blananar said:
(and adding defroster to the mix)

oops..didnt see that
:rolleyes:

the best anti-freeze i have seen is only good too -100c or so, LN2 is ~-168c (IIRC) so it will still turn the water to ICE and not flow throught your system.

Blananar said:
Ok, thanks. Now, for a slight change of subject. How about, liquid nitrogen + water in the reservoir? Would it make it so cold that the components of the computer would freeze? Because, I am looking for a very chill way to cool a computer, that blends into a watercooling system, and uses items not necessarily associated with the computer, to add cooling power... If liquid nitrogen (and adding defroster to the mix) works, that would be the ticket...

Exact same concept as the dry ice... Except pouring liquid N2 into water would probably cause something like an explosion, even without a sealed container.

Dang it. I guess I'll have to go with a water chiller or something, or maybe, AUTOMOBILE COOLANT!!! Or, is that already widely used?

Blananar said:
Dang it. I guess I'll have to go with a water chiller or something, or maybe, AUTOMOBILE COOLANT!!! Or, is that already widely used?

It's mostly water... and will actually work worse than pure water. Go with the chiller :D

Back