Water Cooled gtx 285 with 2GB...

why stop at 2gb?

T H A T ' S J U S T N O T E N O U G H G I G A B Y T E S ! ! !

If these drop for ~$400 they actually might fly off the shelves, that is if they can perform.

For a very small segment of the market there would be a real use for these. And that's the people who want to put 3 of them in Tri-SLI to run Crysis maxed on a 30" monitor, outside of that 1GB is fine.

The thought of three of those in sli with crysis on a 30", dare i say at maxed aa af makes me wanna nut : P

Yes, I've seen the air cooled cards announced. ps, here's a 4gb card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tesla_c1060_us.html

why do you think I want 2 gb water cooled? besides supporting higher resolutions it can support larger computations... I wonder if that 4gb card fits a danger den block... hmmm...

That's running off the Quadro version of the GT200 iirc. Which for a workstation card, there are some real reasons to have 4 gigs of Vram.

That's running off the Quadro version of the GT200 iirc. Which for a workstation card, there are some real reasons to have 4 gigs of Vram.

exactly, in addition to a gamer I'm a scientist, so I could use a bigger Vram, but I have not given myself the budget for a $1,200 card for my personal computational machine. A 2gb card would allow me to justify a bigger monitor (30" from 24") and it would increase the problem size I can have, this is especially important for double precision calculations.

Maybe it is just me... I guess there's no connection between octamom and the new octa core CPU's comming out this year either?

I want 2GB so I can have larger problem sizes when doing GPU computing... and, higher FPS with larger resolution monitors, like a 30".

Looks cool, but I'd more interested in the fact it comes with a very good and silent cooler than the fact it has 2GB. The performance increase with the extra gig will be very very small.

That card's standout point isn't just the fact that it has 2 GB. It also uses a different cooler, which AFAIK is quite good.

The performance increase won't be big at lower resolutions, but at 2560x1600, you'll certainly see advantages, since frame drops won't occur as frequently in games that actually go beyond the 1 GB frame buffer at that resolution.

Back