Water cooled air cooler tested again.

It's a video. Can't watch at work.

I guess my question is, why? IN a world where amazing CPU blocks that do the job well exist, why do something like this?

They're doing it wrong.

That looks like too much weight on the socket.

I wonder if they even considered the design specifications for the load limit on it.

I'm pretty sure it's just a fun experiment. You guys are so serious lol.

I wish he would have added a 212 with hi-flow fans in push\pull to the testing. This probably would have given results closer to the "watercooled" 212.

Reactions: Angry
like this
I'm pretty sure it's just a fun experiment. You guys are so serious lol.

I wish he would have added a 212 with hi-flow fans in push\pull to the testing. This probably would have given results closer to the "watercooled" 212.

My bad, I thought it was a product review.

I must not have reached my optimal caffeinate operating level :ROFLMAO:

I guess my question is, why?
My take on this is that they wanted to test how quickly the aluminum fins start to corrode in the presence of the copper heat pipes. This test setup allows for easy visual inspection at all times and the loop can be in operation continuously. Everything else ("hey, how well do you think this thing would actually cool a CPU? lol") is bonus.

Edit: They put red coloring in it. RIP my theory.

My take on this is that they wanted to test how quickly the aluminum fins start to corrode in the presence of the copper heat pipes. This test setup allows for easy visual inspection at all times and the loop can be in operation continuously. Everything else ("hey, how well do you think this thing would actually cool a CPU? lol") is bonus.

Edit: They put red coloring in it. RIP my theory.

You're shitting me. There has to be plenty of research and data on the process and all they had to do was plug in some data into an existing formulae to answer the question.

This is an example of what I mean, although the metals and conditions differ.

https://www.chegg.com/homework-help...-couple-equal-areas-carbon-steel-iro-q8813155

I'm waiting for the air-cooled water cooler mashup. Oh...wait... rads are already air-cooled. That's the place for real innovation. Water cool the air-cooled rads! So much thermal genius, so little sense.

I'm waiting for the air-cooled water cooler mashup. Oh...wait... rads are already air-cooled. That's the place for real innovation. Water cool the air-cooled rads! So much thermal genius, so little sense.

Sorta been done.

Long ago I took a water block with pump and ran it to the back of my case where it went through a second water block, with a small 76W TEC, and a big CPU HSF to cool it all.

Didn't work so good because the HSF couldn't deal well with the TEC heat and the heat transfer from the water block wasn't the best I imagine.

But hey, it didn't melt down so there's that.

You're shitting me. There has to be plenty of research and data on the process and all they had to do was plug in some data into an existing formulae to answer the question.

This is an example of what I mean, although the metals and conditions differ.

https://www.chegg.com/homework-help...-couple-equal-areas-carbon-steel-iro-q8813155

You say that ...
I've been using an aluminium car heatercore (from a Ford Sierra) as a radiator for a couple of different copper blocks over the last 15 years.
It has been running 24/7 for the last 8 yrs+ yet there is no destruction of the block and the rad has no leaks.
This is with either water + a surfactant or pure water only (since 2015). No anti corrosive has been used.
My current block is the Apogee XT Extreme which is 9 yrs old. It has very fine pins in contact with the water and they are all in new condition apart from the odd bent one from cleaning.
I last cleaned/inspected it in January.

I'm baffled so dont ask me lol.

Is there a direct electrical connection between the blocks and radiator core nenu?
The rad is at floor level with 2x140mm fans, in contact with nothing other than the carpet and a glass jar to hold one end up.
The fans are powered via PSU molex connectors.
The only things connecting the block and rad are clear tubing and water.

Back