Water cool or air cool my NB chip?

fore1337

[H]ard|Gawd
I just picked up the DFI LP 875P-T motherboard, and I’m ordering the DangerDen 775 adapter for my TDX water block. Intel 875P chipset; (so I can use my DDR1 and AGP parts) picking up an LGA775 CPU for it.

The big question is:
Should I use my Maze-4 to water cool the 875P Northbridge, or just pick up something like the ThermalRight copper chipset cooler http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-117&depa=0

The LanParty boards are a bitch for mounting Northbridge blocks to, since they have only 2 of the 4 necessary tie downs to the motherboard (compared to IC7). I successfully mounted one in the past, but it wasn’t a very trustworthy mount. (see below)

maze4mod10-vi.jpg

Plumbing with Maze-4 chipset block:
Pump – Y (1) CPU -> res, (2) GPU -> NB -> res

with the ThermalRight HSK:
Pump – Y (1) CPU -> res, (2) GPU -> res

I was wondering if I’m doing more harm then good by putting warm water from my GPU onver my NB.

Any suggestions?

Northbridge watercooling is TOTALLY pointless. I've never seen a real case of it actually working where a half decent air cooling solution wouldn't work.

People just readily assume that because there's a heatsink on it, watercooling it will make it better. Generally, it doesn't. Motherboards are designed to be able to cope, in poor conditions with every feature they offer. So even at a bus of 250 on your ole KTxxx chipset, it'll be ok.

It'll also added unneccessary heat into your water system, not to mention reduce flow rates.

But yeah, if you have a spare block, might as well use it...;)

I was actually getting better OCs on that DFI 875B board when I used stock NB HSK with an 80mm fan placed directly over it. When I put the Maze-4 on it, my OCs became unstable, and I was thinking it's because my GPU warmed up the water so much, it was not really cooling my NB anymore.

If I don't cool with the Maze-4, I'm definately going to use some type of active cooling on the NB (like the ThermalRight NB cooler).

spine said:
Northbridge watercooling is TOTALLY pointless. I've never seen a real case of it actually working where a half decent air cooling solution wouldn't work.

Watercooling the NB is TOTALLY necessary when you get into Phase-Change systems, and extreme overclocks.

spine said:

People just readily assume that because there's a heatsink on it, watercooling it will make it better. Generally, it doesn't. Motherboards are designed to be able to cope, in poor conditions with every feature they offer. So even at a bus of 250 on your ole KTxxx chipset, it'll be ok.

It'll also added unneccessary heat into your water system, not to mention reduce flow rates.

But yeah, if you have a spare block, might as well use it...;)

NB cooling is extremly necessary, especially on DFI boards. They get damn warm. If I went water cooling and had the extra block I'd do it.

I'm chopping up old Socket A heatsinks and rigging fans for mine as well as the vdimm chipset and pwmic.

Maybe i just have to alter my flowpath?

here's the current setup.
currentcircuit-vi.jpg

I am guessing that the water going to the NB is too warm after passing through the GPU block.

Yeah i will go with the croud and say that there is no reason to water cool it... i have wcing and i did not do it, but i am going to get the ThermalRight copper chipset cooler like you talked about, heard it is a very nice cooler but needs a different/better small fan on it

MaMMa said:
Small fans = high pitched noise :eek:

Yeah that is my point the fan that comes on the thermalright cooler is LOUD

I have a little fan that would work out good and it is not loud...40mm

MaMMa said:
NB cooling is extremly necessary, especially on DFI boards. They get damn warm. If I went water cooling and had the extra block I'd do it.

I'm chopping up old Socket A heatsinks and rigging fans for mine as well as the vdimm chipset and pwmic.
So, do you have any examples where it has actually helped people?

I'm not denying they get hot, I'm just saying that it may not be, and probably isn't, necessarily a concern.

Water cooling the NB is not necessary, unless you are doing it for noise, but if you got the block go for it. I watercooled mine ;)

I think I'll go with the ThermalRight, and better fan.
35-109-117-01.JPG

Maybe I can get a different top for my Maze-4 and use it to WC another computer. ...so it'll still get a good home :D

this friggin HSK is always outta stock @ the egg. GRRR

Thanks for the input m8s!

Hi Again Fore,

Well not much has happened on the 2 wire loops hold down like shown in your
pic, in fact I have shown others what you did and they have done the same.

Now for your first question, sorry we don't have any CPU tops that will
mount on the chipset copper bases.

Best Regards
Dan Stephens
[email protected]

okay, it looks like I can't use my Maze-4 chipset block on a CPU, unless I machine my own top. That shouldn't be too difficult right?

...and my jerry rig will have to do on the chipset.

Back