Water Bears Will Be the Last Survivors on Earth

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A new study from Oxford discusses the tardigrade, an eight-legged micro-animal that will supposedly survive until the Sun dies. Otherwise known as water bears, these creatures will be around for at least 10 billion years and survive the risk of extinction from astrophysical catastrophes that include asteroids, supernovas, and gamma-ray bursts. They also look pretty neat.

Tardigrades are the toughest, most resilient form of life on earth, able to survive for up to 30 years without food or water, and endure temperature extremes of up to 150 degrees Celsius, the deep sea and even the frozen vacuum of space. The water-dwelling micro animal can live for up to 60 years, and grow to a maximum size of 0.5mm, best seen under a microscope. Researchers from the Universities of Oxford and Harvard, have found that these life forms will likely survive all astrophysical calamities, such as an asteroid, since they will never be strong enough to boil off the world's oceans.

Theres a cool series of star wars books that detail a history of this alien species who see a comet coming and embed their entire civilization in a sentient ship. Lando gets trapped on it for half the book, it's not malicious but runs from everything and will defend itself. Kind of reminds me of these little guys, the ship lives through the disaster and returns home to restart life.

I remember reading about these a while back. Its amazing how well they can survive, even extraordinary amounts of radiation won't kill them. All hail the Water Bear!

Also, anyone else think they look like the Combine Advisors in Half Life :eek:

Drop bears versus water bears in the post-apocalyptic wastes of planet Earth...WHO WILL WIN?!

Searched for "waterbear" image on google.. now wonder if news is real LOL

tbh, first time I hear about those... may I ask if they can be seen by eyes ? (looking at google images... they either are microscope size or a kid's dream)

Edit :: micro animal... think I got my answer, sorry. Still where do they live ?

I thought cockroaches would be the last surviving species on the planet.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Probably should put a 'nsfw' tag on this thread. That thing looks way too similar to a sphincter.

"Planet of the Waterbears" - Meteor strike, then these little guys get thrown off earth and some end up landing some place with water and alien plant matter they can eat. Fast-forward a hundred milion years and they're a thriving civilization!

Back