Water 2.0 Extreme , Fractal-design XL R2

lundrog

[H]ard|Gawd
Guy's,

Looking for a simple way to do some light / med OC on the 3930k / ASUS Rampage IV Extreme combo.

I would like to pick some thing up at the St. Lewis park / MN Microcenter. As I am returning some gear this weekend, and since it is winter, not sure about shipping a aio water cooler when it will freeze.

My case as it was , with my old board and cpu.

Full case info and link http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=112

When I asked support (fractal) they didn't give me that much info..

"
Me >

Can you provide a list of Closed loop all in one CPU water coolers that are verified to fit on the top?

Looking for something like:

Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System
NZXT Kraken X60 RL-KRX60-01 280mm Ultra Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler

Support >

We’re not able to provide a list of compatible coolers as it’s too highly dependent upon the build. The hole spacing between both the 140mm and 120mm fans on the top of the cases is 15mm.

"

They have the Water 2.0 Extreme in stock, is this a solid choice?

Thanks as always !

I don't have any experience with the Thermaltake Water 2.0 extreme (2x120mm fans), but I do know that the NZXT Kraken X60 (2x140mm fans with 15mm space between fans) fits the Define XL R2 case while the Corsair H110 (2x140mm fans with 20mm space between fans) does not. See http://www.nzxt.com/new/news_detail.php?id=318 for details. From what I gather, the Corsair H110 is primarily suited to their own Corsair cases (900D, 650D, 500R, C70; NOT the 600T/550D/400R) as the Corsair cases use a mount with 20mm between fans.

In summary, if you have a Fractal Design Define R4, or the XL R2, you need a cooler with 15mm width. This leaves you with the NZXT Kraken X60 (and I believe the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme with its standard 2x120mm side-by-side layout). According to http://www.pro-clockers.com/cooling...-in-one-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.html?start=5 the two coolers come very close in performance so I'd leave the choice up to you. I personally would choose the X60 over the Water 2.0 Extreme because the surface area is larger (280mm vs 240mm) and they're not too dissimilar in price.

Wow, that is one sick build you have..Have you had a chance to install the 4x 680s in the case yet? I am curious how well it copes with the noise of 4 GPU fans running flat out (as many do in SLI builds due to the close proximity of the cards)..

If you don't mind, when you have your rig apart to install the new watercooler, can you measure the distance between the top of the case and the top of the motherboard? I am curious how thick a radiator I could cram in one of these...Thanks in advance..

-CC

I replaced my 3570k with a 3930k, and my 1155 motherboard with a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard.

I also replaced my AIO water cooler with a Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System.

image-XL.jpg

Spec's are in my Sig, Using five 140mm Fractal Case Fan's. And a 140mm Silverstone Case fan on the side door for intake.

I have six ssd's in raid in a Thermaltake MAX-1562 5.25 HDD bay, as you can see this opened up my case.

I have to say , I am very happy with this rig!

Comments welcome!

Back