Watching movies off USB w/o 'smart' TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs & Equipment' started by Rydawg5143, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Rydawg5143

Rydawg5143 [H]ardness Supreme

I recently took down my HTPC because we weren't using it and rebuilt a gaming computer for my son. Obviously after not using the HTPC for 6 months, my wife has decided she wants to be able to play stuff off USB. The TV is a lower end LG and while it does have a USB slot, it won't play video files, only music or pictures.

1)Is there someone I can buy that isn't too pricey to be able to play video files from the USB?
    2) Or would it be better to run a 50 ft HDMI cable from my new PC to the TV and watch that way?

2. Grebuloner

Grebuloner Limp Gawd

1) Room, food, a book allowance and I'm all yours, baby :love:
    2) My dad did this to go across the long family room from his computer to the TV, it was expensive and unsightly (it's a fat ass cable), but it worked.
    3) Get a Chromecast, use either Videostream (easy) or set up Plex (more involved) to stream from your network share, alternatively, an Amazon FireStick with the Kodi app sideloaded.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Best way is to add the 'smarts'. Chromecast, Firestick, Roku. Best would be an Apple TV 4k or Nvidia Shield, but those are pretty expensive.

4. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

I think just about any extermal media player like those IdiotInCharge mentions that has a USB port will play common codec videos from USB, except the AppleTV, which stays locked to iTunes/Apple.

I'm actually surprised the LG doesn't do it natively. It must be a fairly older one. Maybe check and see if there's been a firmware update for it before you shuck out any cash for something else.

Also, a note: if you can still find the old SteamLink - they used to go for like $4.00 with free shipping. That would be better than a 50' HDMI cable, that device is essentially a wireless HDMI. Chromecast is the next best thing there.

5. Rifter0876

Rifter0876 n00b

Chromecast has crap codec support, get a shield or a Mibox if you want hardware support for all current codecs.