Watch Star Trek: Discovery’s Main Title Sequence

As a fan of TOS and TNG and Vouyager I am not going to lie that I am interested but I am not going to subscribe to another streaming service to see it.
So unless it hits Netflix or Hulu in a year, I won't miss it at all.
Dishwasher and sandwich makers belong in the kitchen, not on the bridge of a starship ;););) .

How long before they are complaining about people pirating the show.... I give it 1 day after episode 2

Yeah, anytime you charge for digital media
ST:TNG was the best. I do like DS9 when the war started. It got good! Voyager was kind of meh. I watched the tail end of an the 2nd episode and it seemed meh.(2 episodes out now?)

Voyager got really good in the later seasons, especially the "Year of Hell" Season 5 finally.

As much as I would love Star Trek to have a successful TV series (Enterprise was canceled too early as well). I hope this experiment with CBS All Access is an epic failure. A majority of people have "cut the cord" for a reason. People only care about a handful of shows and don't want to pay $150 a month to watch them. Using 1970 TV plans for streaming services isn't going to bring more customers, it's going to drive them away. No one is going to pay $7-15 a month on 9 different streaming services from TNT/TBS/CBS/HBO/Stars/Showtime/Netflix/Amazon Prime etc. We need 1 or 2 unified streaming services, and that's it. Same goes with gaming platforms, we don't need Origin, Battlenet, Uplay, Sega Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, Microsoft Store, etc when we have Steam. All of this is already more fragmented than the Android ecosystem, and that's a mess in itself for developers. This isn't competition, it's a disaster. It needs uniformity.
QFT

I think the intro is pretty neat. Good theme.

Hard part is going to be getting used to a cinematic presentation and following a primary character. Both are contradictory towards the episode-of-the-week and ensemble cast that we are use to.

I'm hopeful this series turns out to be good. It took a few episodes of most of the other series to work the bugs out of production. I think episode 3 of DSC is going to point the ship in the direction we are heading. I'll wait until the end of the first season before concluding my thoughts on how well it is done.

Yeah, anytime you charge for digital media

Voyager got really good in the later seasons, especially the "Year of Hell" Season 5 finally.
I dont think people won't pay for digital media, i just think many digital media providers fail at price discovery in the current environment. CBS isn't very good at it, as by their pricing/ad model. There is a reason why netflix does so well. Netflix is pretty much sets the ceiling. CBS is trying to charge 6 with ads 10 without. That is grossly overpriced for their content for me and i suspect many.

Edit: just to be clear, CBS All Access for me is worth exactly 2$ a month and that assumes i actually like and watch all of star trek discovery.

The content distribution industry is in transition. Some of the inertia is because cable companies have had a monopoly and haven't dealt fairly with content providers. This opened up opportunities for Netflix and the like. What I find funny is that all these old school companies like CBS and Disney have decided to go vertical integration (i.e. owning content creation and distribution). IMHO that wont end well for any of them. What they should have done is collaborate by creating their own utility service to share the costs of infrastructure and operations while insuring that they can maximize profits. The more the market fractures the worse it will get for consumers. At the end of the day people will learn to do without one of their favorite shows because it is the only thing they value from a particular service. The vast majority of consumers is just starting to understand the marketplace transition and as they figure out how to maximize satisfaction for minimal investment I expect a bunch of these new distributors will go under or be bought up. None of this is original thinking, you can find examples of similar situations in many industries.

Don't believe I am saying this. Hope this bombs. This is getting out of hand.

I have HULU. Netflix, Amazon Prime and I'm now trying Youtube TV for the local and cable stuff. This is costing too damn much.

Fragmentation is bound to cause this to happen. Everyone wants a "slice of the pie"

A lot of those services overlap though. Prime and netflix especially. And Hulu I can get most local networks for free using over the air television.

That said you can rotate services in and out as you need them and then binge. We have netflix 100% of the time. Amazon came with Prime. So that's no cost since we buy so much off amazon it's pays for itself. And we activate Hulu when we want it. (Which is extremely rare) Why aren't you doing that?

So now to the real question: For those of you who watched it? What did you honestly think?

I refuse to touch it even if I could get it last night for free.

So now to the real question: For those of you who watched it? What did you honestly think?

Canadian here, so I watched it on regular TV. I thought it was really good. I knew the curmudgeons here would hate it though. That's what curmudgeons do.

I liked the story and the effects are amazing. We'll see how it all comes together but I think this can be a good show. The biggest problem is the sub model which I'm thinking isn't going to work long term.

I will reserve judgment until I see this. I do, generally, hate prequels, as it limits where you can go with the major story arcs. I would really like a new ST series in the "future". I don't get why they want to go "backwards" all of a sudden.

Also, CBS can go to hell if they think I'm paying to watch ST and whatever shit shows they have that I already don't care about.

Canadian here, so I watched it on regular TV. I thought it was really good. I knew the "dedicated long term Trek fans" here would hate it though. That's what "dedicated long term Trek fans" do.

Fix'd it for ya.

As much as I would love Star Trek to have a successful TV series (Enterprise was canceled too early as well). I hope this experiment with CBS All Access is an epic failure. A majority of people have "cut the cord" for a reason. People only care about a handful of shows and don't want to pay $150 a month to watch them. Using 1970 TV plans for streaming services isn't going to bring more customers, it's going to drive them away. No one is going to pay $7-15 a month on 9 different streaming services from TNT/TBS/CBS/HBO/Stars/Showtime/Netflix/Amazon Prime etc. We need 1 or 2 unified streaming services, and that's it. Same goes with gaming platforms, we don't need Origin, Battlenet, Uplay, Sega Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, Microsoft Store, etc when we have Steam. All of this is already more fragmented than the Android ecosystem, and that's a mess in itself for developers. This isn't competition, it's a disaster. It needs uniformity.

I'm OK with many streaming services, as long as they are either commercial free with a monthly payment or with commercials and free. After all, broadcast TV is free with commercials. I'm sick of paying 5 different ways to watch TV programs. I hate commercials, and I don't want to have to PAY to watch commercials, as CBS is doing, plus $100/year for a "commercial free" plan that still has commercials. They'll pay for that, as many people like me will simply refuse to go to their streaming service until it is free.

Loved pretty much every Star Trek series, and even the movies that most seemed to not of liked in the past.
But this....didn't feel like Star Trek to me. Sure, some of the sound effects and visuals SCREAM Star Trek. But the show itself...nope.

I'll watch a couple more, but I didn't care for it. Several different issues with it, that ended up being more distracting that engaging.

That said...the visuals, were amazing.

I think it's just a big money grab. Since they can't get more money from the cable providers, never mind the fact that they make a ton in advertising, they think they can milk the Star Trek fans. Well they can just eat a fat dick! I'm not paying them a damn thing. I already pay for cable and Hulu/Netfix. That's enough!

Although I don't pay for cable, well said. The justification was increased production costs. I didn't see anything that impressive to justify $10 per month to watch without commercials. The content on the CBS service is shit. I won't be signing up.

As a Star Trek fan, you should hate it. How far Star Trek has fallen from Next Generation, DS9 & Voyager. :(

I'll give you DS9 and Voyager, but a ton of the STNG shows were really really bad. I'm mean really bad. Really.

I'll give you DS9 and Voyager, but a ton of the STNG shows were really really bad. I'm mean really bad. Really.

First two seasons of TNG were gawd-awful. There's only 2-3 episodes in those two seasons that are worth re-watching.

But really, half of all Star Trek episodes are crap. Even out of the original 79 TOS episodes, there are only 30 good ones. The only thing that's changed since 1966 is there are over 700 episodes now, but the good-to-crap ratio remains the same.

Reactions: Mize
like this
Oh well, guess I'll just watch The Orville. Not paying fee to ABC/CBS/NBC to watch jack shit.

Pre title sequence:
  1. So now they're offering commands to someone who is barely 30?
  2. How did they find us? - If you're really that stupid I doubt you'd get a command at 30, you'd be lucky to be a deck hand, not first officer.
  3. So now they can eyeball transporters?! That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not “eyeball it”!
Titles:

So this is the first startek which has a title sequence that has nothing to do with space. And the music is a weird mix of the old themes. The ship in the titles is an almost exact copy of the original cancelled phase II. Is there anything they haven't used before?

10 minutes in:
Now I'm certain This is not star trek, this is bullshit. Star trek officers bickering over ego issues, instead of focusing on the mission? This is exactly the same as the mass effect andromeda novel, where identity politics and ego also took over science and reason, and ideas weren't judged on their merit, but based on who uttered them, and how good they "felt".

Sorry folks, it was nice while it lasted, but Star trek was also infiltrated by identity politics.

And more identity politics. "We see something we don't understand we instantly cast judgement?" No, you're the first officer on a ship with a crew of a hundred give or take, you're responsible for them, if you don't understand something you need to be prepared for the worst, even if you're expecting the best. But of course feelings thump reason in SJW land.

And while we're at it the lead seems to be a terrible actress, just standing around looking stupid or smug in every scene. Or both. I mean really, the entire space walk sequence: the same expressionless face, and then that weird laugh from nowhere, it was more scary than genuine. Ok, ok moving on, before I get accused of racism, because the only way you can dislike the acting of a black person is if you're racist!

So they established beforehand that they won't be able to communicate with each other, yet they waste minutes acting surprised that they can't communicate.

And BTW I still don't understand why did they need to change the look of klingons, it's certainly not an improvement, and that's the understatement of the decade.

So instead of telling everyone on the radio what's going on, withhold the information and waltz to the bridge in nappies like an idiot wasting even more time, very responsible behaviour.

Oh and the cat is out of the bag, that didn't take long, maybe 30 minutes? And they openly declare identity politics. "race and culture" yes, we've arrived.

Oh c'mon there are no direct windows on a starfleet bridge, they're viewports, you cannot be blinded. It's like being blinded trough a monitor, it's light capacity is limited by the screen itself, and making a viewscreen capable of emitting light that intense would be a fool's errand what possible purpose could it have? And sound doesn't propagate in space, and if it's subscace technobabble crap how can it be audible to human ears? Unless on top of having a monitor that can blind you, you also installed a sound system on the ship that can deafen you!! AAANd yes they did! Brilliant, reason be damned.

"It's relevant" Oh how quaint, can you be more cryptic? I think an emergency situation warrants a little more explanation than that even from a first officer, but of course it's drama for the viewer, consistency or believability of the story be damned. Withholding vital information, the go to life boat of bad screenwriters. And this already on the first episode!

I though only actual vulkans can do the neckpinch, no I'm actually certain that was an established fact in the universe, and a human raised by vulkans won't suddenly gain their physical strength.

So that's my short assessment of episode 1 It has many sins, but my biggest surprise that it's not just bad because it's not so settle pushing of identity politics, but the writing is pretty weak regardless of that. The VFX are ok, that's the least of it's concerns, but I think they're still not as good as in the expanse for example.

Having different places to buy games brings competition and it does not cost you to use each service. Streaming services do cost for each one though, and that is why I only have one: Netflix. Tried Hulu but a lot of stuff is missing and then I also tried Amazon Prime but most things require that you rent them individually, or at least the things I wanted to see.

Actually, most online stores pricing pales in comparison to Steam, both everyday prices and sales. Sales on Origin and UPlay are few and far-in-between.

Steam usually has much better prices on UBI games than UPlay, especially when they have sales.

Origin doesn't even give as many sales as UPlay, and the everyday price of their games is nowhere near what you can pick it up for on Amazon. Steam in my experience has official price drops much more often than Origin, better-reflecting the falling prices of their games. This is the reason why Steam Sales have become less enticing, l since there's less reason to wait to buy a game.

YES, I JUST STATED FOR THE RECORD THAT AMAZON HAS MORE OF AN EFFECT ON STEAM PRICES THAN ANY OTHER SERVICE. THE REST OF THESE SERVICES ARE JUST CASH GRABS (UPlay)/CONTROL MOVES (ORigin).

Last edited:
I stopped caring after TNG ended. It was closer to the original series whereas the later series were boring and forgettable. Discovery is just another quick money grab coming from an industry that has run out of original ideas.

I torrent'ed both episodes 10 mins after it aired, 1080p WEB-DL's no less.
Pleasantly surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed it and was worth the 45sec that it took to DL (8000+ seeds).

Yep. I love Star Trek. I've bought the DVD collections and everything but I refuse to pay for another streaming service with frankly dubious utility.

Yep. I love Star Trek. I've bought the DVD collections and everything but I refuse to pay for another streaming service with frankly dubious utility.

+1
And I'll be damned if I give one red cent to CBS to watch anything to do with my beloved Trek.
Hegh rIntaH networks!

Fix'd it for ya.

They are a fickle bunch, but I know plenty of long term trek fans that didn't rage after last night's episode. This site however, rages at everything. So I stand by what I said.

I do agree though that I'd rather a new series that takes place AFTER Voyager. The last 3 movies and 2 series have been prequels. I'm prequelled out.

Pre title sequence:
  1. So now they're offering commands to someone who is barely 30?
  2. How did they find us? - If you're really that stupid I doubt you'd get a command at 30, you'd be lucky to be a deck hand, not first officer.
  3. So now they can eyeball transporters?! That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not “eyeball it".

Transporters have been "eyeballed" before (e.g. the number of times Torres had to improvise the transporter to rescue the crew in Voyager using Maquis tactics).

10 minutes in:
Now I'm certain This is not star trek, this is bullshit. Star trek officers bickering over ego issues, instead of focusing on the mission? This is exactly the same as the mass effect andromeda novel, where identity politics and ego also took over science and reason, and ideas weren't judged on their merit, but based on who uttered them, and how good they "felt".

Sorry folks, it was nice while it lasted, but Star trek was also infiltrated by identity politics.

Star Trek has always been left-wing. This is nothing new.

And more identity politics. "We see something we don't understand we instantly cast judgement?" No, you're the first officer on a ship with a crew of a hundred give or take, you're responsible for them, if you don't understand something you need to be prepared for the worst, even if you're expecting the best. But of course feelings thump reason in SJW land.

In Star Trek : TMP, McCoy asks "Why is any object we don't understand always called "a thing"?".

And while we're at it the lead seems to be a terrible actress, just standing around looking stupid or smug in every scene. Or both. I mean really, the entire space walk sequence: the same expressionless face, and then that weird laugh from nowhere, it was more scary than genuine. Ok, ok moving on, before I get accused of racism, because the only way you can dislike the acting of a black person is if you're racist!

She is a human raised by Vulcans so the stoic-ness is to be expected.

Oh c'mon there are no direct windows on a starfleet bridge, they're viewports, you cannot be blinded. It's like being blinded trough a monitor, it's light capacity is limited by the screen itself, and making a viewscreen capable of emitting light that intense would be a fool's errand what possible purpose could it have? And sound doesn't propagate in space, and if it's subscace technobabble crap how can it be audible to human ears? Unless on top of having a monitor that can blind you, you also installed a sound system on the ship that can deafen you!! AAANd yes they did! Brilliant, reason be damned.

There is established canon for the viewscreen being bright to the point of hurting people's eyes (e.g. DS9 "Shadows and Symbols").

Star Trek has always had sound in space.

I though only actual vulkans can do the neckpinch, no I'm actually certain that was an established fact in the universe, and a human raised by vulkans won't suddenly gain their physical strength.

Wrong. Amongst others, Picard, Data, Archer, Odo, and Seven of Nine have all used neckpinches.

I find it probable that this show's critics haven't even watched the first episode yet (it was just on over-the-air CBS, by the way, so I have watched exactly one episode). They're criticizing it based on their own political bias instead of anything remotely related to the actual show. Unless of course in a far-off future you think it would be crazy for anything other than a white male protestant human humanoid from the portion of Earth formerly known as the bible belt of the United States of America to captain a pretend space ship. I bet Jean Luc Picard, who was from the France part of Earth, and was acted by an Englishman, really pissed you off. And I dare not remind you about all the Canadians in the original Star Trek!

But I'm sure the entirety of that is just some logical fallacy which only libtard SJWs would even know the name of instead of hitting pretty close to the mark. Especially the race and gender stuff.

Anyways, I hope its a good show, but there's no chance I'm subscribing to CBS's bullshit to see it. I just watched that episode, and there was tons of commercials for everything else on CBS, which was, in its entirety, garbage. There's not one thing I want to watch on CBS, other than the NFL and the NCAA tournament. Not one. Fox, NBC, ABC, all have some stuff which isn't garbage, but not CBS. Sad.
Usually people only bristle when it's presented as an 'in your face' decision. Like was mentioned they gave a series to a female captain and heavily female crew over 20 years ago. People like to make a deal out of it because its free advertising especially for those who think all cops hunt minorities for sport and don't know the difference between an illegal immigrant and a legal immigrant or don't know it's been illegal to underpay women since the 60's.

Transporters have been "eyeballed" before (e.g. the number of times Torres had to improvise the transporter to rescue the crew in Voyager using Maquis tactics).
The good old "boost the signal" trick is not eyeballing it, if I recall correctly they always had to have their communicators with them and that was the signal they locked on to. Maybe later they diverged from this "rule" but if the show was good otherwise I probably wouldn't nitpick about it.
Star Trek has always been left-wing. This is nothing new.
Left wing doesn't equal identity politics. In fact saying they're equal is political identity politics.
In Star Trek : TMP, McCoy asks "Why is any object we don't understand always called "a thing"?".
Good, and? It's not even remotely the same, as questioning "why do we have to assume the worst about everything"
She is a human raised by Vulcans so the stoic-ness is to be expected.
I don't remember Spock ever being completely featureless. But in my defence the episode didn't even establish the vulkan upbringing at the point I made that observation. But why did they have to make it Sarek? It again makes zero sense, why couldn't it be a random other vulkan? Now Spock has a sister that noone talked about or even mentioned or acknowledged trough the entire lore before. Again makes zero sense.
There is established canon for the viewscreen being bright to the point of hurting people's eyes (e.g. DS9 "Shadows and Symbols").
Well I wouldn't call it lore, there were plenty of terrible episodes in DS9, and plenty of stupid nonsense in Voyager / TNG too, that doesn't make it any more excusable here.
Star Trek has always had sound in space.
As did Star Wars, for artistic reasons. That doesn't mean making the factually incorrect thing an active part of the story is a good thing. Ships having some sound effects that do nothing to influence the story is one thing.

Wrong. Amongst others, Picard, Data, Archer, Odo, and Seven of Nine have all used neckpinches.
Well I don't remember any of those, but Data, Odo, and 7of9 were not human so they can have or gain the ability to do it easily.

It is not Seth Macfarlan so for me it is automatically better, cannot stand that man's incessant soap boxing and childish views.

Identity politics are just stupid though.

The good old "boost the signal" trick is not eyeballing it, if I recall correctly they always had to have their communicators with them and that was the signal they locked on to. Maybe later they diverged from this "rule" but if the show was good otherwise I probably wouldn't nitpick about it.

Nope. A communicator/commbadge is not required for transport. See Voyager "One Small Step" where Seven places her commbadge on the remains of the pilot and then has Paris lock onto both her commbadge and her lifesigns to beam them both over. There was also the skeletal lock in "Scorpion, Part I" where Torres locked onto the mineral content of the away teams bones. There are numerous instances where they've also beamed someone away from somewhere in the absence of a transporter room (e.g. "Caretaker" where they beamed Neelix directly from the bridge, "False Prophets" where they beamed up the two Ferengi, DS9's "Babel" where Kira beamed up the scientist against his will). There were also numerous cases where they did fly-by-night transports in Enterprise (particularly towards the end of the Xindi arc).

I don't remember Spock ever being completely featureless. But in my defence the episode didn't even establish the vulkan upbringing at the point I made that observation. But why did they have to make it Sarek? It again makes zero sense, why couldn't it be a random other vulkan? Now Spock has a sister that noone talked about or even mentioned or acknowledged trough the entire lore before. Again makes zero sense.

SPOILERS

The first episode very clearly established her backstory. You must not have been paying attention to the parts where they talked about Burnham's parents being killed by Klingons and she was left to be raised by Vulcans.

As did Star Wars, for artistic reasons. That doesn't mean making the factually incorrect thing an active part of the story is a good thing. Ships having some sound effects that do nothing to influence the story is one thing.

This isn't Arthur C. Clarke-style hard science fiction. If you are expecting that level of scientific accuracy in a Star Trek show, you are going to be disappointed regardless of which series you are talking about.

Well I don't remember any of those, but Data, Odo, and 7of9 were not human so they can have or gain the ability to do it easily.

Picard did it in "Starship Mine". Archer did it in "Kir'shara". Seven of Nine is human.

Gene Roddenberry and his lawyer were a pox upon TNG for the first 3 years. They went through writer after writer after writer. It's detailed in a Netflix movie called "Chaos on the Bridge" Paramount felt they couldn't do a thing without Gene Roddenberry's seal of approval. After season 3, Roddenberry was given a nice long vacation and his lawyer given the boot. That's is when things started picking up.

TNG was cursed by another problem though. They had abysmally low special effects budgets. They had to fight for the budget of an engine room set. Sometimes their budget was <$100 per episode. They resorted to using things like shampoo bottles and ping pong balls for ships. lol. But given what they had they did awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2880448/

I like both shows. Call me crazy.
Oh you can. But it's not Trek.

I'm not saying you aren't a trekey for liking it. But the most fanatical of supporters aren't happy with CBS's direction. We'll have to see how it pans out.

I for one, plan to pass. Waste of money on overly politically correct crap that ignores canon, and that is spoon fed to me for $2.50 per episode. (As I am watching nothing else on CBS.)

But here's some proof of how bad things have gotten:

Star Trek The Motion Picture: "V'Ger" "Decker" "If I know one thing it's engineers and they always like the change stuff"
Star Trek II: ""Kahnnnnnnnnn!" "I have been and always will be your friend"
Star Trek III: "Orders be damned" "The green blooded vulcan son of a @#$@" "Ei. And if my grandmother had wheels she would be a wagon." "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the few or the many."
Star Trek IV: "Hello Computer?" "Transparent Aluminum?" "How do you know he didn't invent it?" "Can you show me the way to the Nuqueir Wessles?" "I'm from Iowa, I only work in space"
Star Trek V: "Why does god need a vessel?...Jim it's not wise to question God"
Star Trek VI: "Not all species have their reproductive organs between their legs!" "Lets wreck havok and slip the dogs of war"
Generations: Time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I think of him as a companion.
First Contact: "Borg? Sounds Swedish" "Assimilate This!" "Captain Ahab has to have his whale"
Insurrection: "Into the Briar Patch Mr LaForge"
Nemesis: In a quest to be more like us, he showed us what it's like to be human (In reference to Data)

I can't name ONE quote from the reboots. I don't think I watched them more than once. And how much older are the movies above?

I remember silly plots with silly sets and lots of lens flare and dis-jarring camera movements that made it hard to follow.

But hey it's CBS and Paramount's property. They have a right to sink it by being stupid with their own property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back