Watch Star Trek: Discovery’s Main Title Sequence

I find it probable that this show's critics haven't even watched the first episode yet (it was just on over-the-air CBS, by the way, so I have watched exactly one episode). They're criticizing it based on their own political bias instead of anything remotely related to the actual show. Unless of course in a far-off future you think it would be crazy for anything other than a white male protestant human humanoid from the portion of Earth formerly known as the bible belt of the United States of America to captain a pretend space ship. I bet Jean Luc Picard, who was from the France part of Earth, and was acted by an Englishman, really pissed you off. And I dare not remind you about all the Canadians in the original Star Trek!

But I'm sure the entirety of that is just some logical fallacy which only libtard SJWs would even know the name of instead of hitting pretty close to the mark. Especially the race and gender stuff.

Anyways, I hope its a good show, but there's no chance I'm subscribing to CBS's bullshit to see it. I just watched that episode, and there was tons of commercials for everything else on CBS, which was, in its entirety, garbage. There's not one thing I want to watch on CBS, other than the NFL and the NCAA tournament. Not one. Fox, NBC, ABC, all have some stuff which isn't garbage, but not CBS. Sad.

"Watch Star Trek: Discovery". No thanks. I think I'll take one of the lead actors up on his public dare and not watch the series at all or even worry about following it.

Meh. It may or may not be well made, or may be incongruous with the universe, both of which would be killers for me.

The whole SJW thing is kind of ridiculous. SJW why? Because an Asian woman is captain? That's kind of silly. Janeway was captain of Voyager, and that didn't ruin that show. In fact it seems just natural that women should have leadership roles like that both in the future and even in today's military.

I don't see what the big issue is. Some racist or misogynistic pigs complained about an Asian woman captain, and now because of the show and reasonable people firing back, a select few have labeled it an SJW show?

So everything that doesn't relegate women to subsidiary roles is SJW now? It seems like kind of a silly position to take.

Writing off the show before even seeing it... Your loss I guess.

Last edited:
Meh. It may not be well made, or may be incongruous with the universe, both of which would be killers for me.

The whole SJW thing is kind of ridiculous. SJW why? Because an Asian woman is captain? That's kind of silly. Janeway was captain of Voyager, and that didn't ruin that show. In fact it seems just natural that women should have leadership roles like that both in the future and even in today's military.

I don't see what the big issue is. Some racist or misogynistic pigs complained about an Asian woman captain, and now because of the show and reasonable people firing back, a select few have labeled it an SJW show?

So everything that doesn't relegate women to subsidiary roles is SJW now? It seems like kind of a silly position to take.

Because Janeway was believable as a leader/captain type of figure. I've worked a lot of different jobs and I've been in the military. The women that are natural born leaders act like you'd expect.

I haven't watched this show yet so I can't comment, but i'm simply pointing out that folks who are leaders act largely in a respectable identifiable way that people notice - And the Janeway character was very believable in that way.

Because Janeway was believable as a leader/captain type of figure. I've worked a lot of different jobs and I've been in the military. The women that are natural born leaders act like you'd expect.

I haven't watched this show yet so I can't comment, but i'm simply pointing out that folks who are leaders act largely in a respectable identifiable way that people notice - And the Janeway character was very believable in that way.

Ditto. I haven't watched it yet either, so I am not going to discount it as believable before I see it, like some people are doing.

Don't like the intro. Halfway through the second episode, it's Star Trek on the small screen for the first time in 12 years so all good for now. The special effects are amazing for TV I think.

Don't like the intro. Halfway through the second episode, it's Star Trek on the small screen for the first time in 12 years so all good for now. The special effects are amazing for TV I think.

I thought the two first episodes were supposed to be on CBS today. My recording just includes the first (Vulcan Hello) though...

I watched it and thought it was meh at best.

The whole Klingon thing was fucking idiotic; they used several iconic ST sound effects and other within cannon references and continuities but then go and fuck with an iconic antagonist?

They should have just changed everything. In its current state it is more of a parody of ST the The Orville.

The writing was subpar and predictable. Top that shit sunday with the CBS All access bullsit to watch the rest of the season.

The special effects were well done though.

I enjoyed it very much just as I enjoy GOT I will subscribe during season and unsub then resub when it comes back just like I do for GOT

I get all that content and more via cable o_O

Yeah, but only the first two episodes will be aired on CBS.

The rest of the show will be a CBS All Access (CBS's premium streaming service) exclusive.

So if you like the show (which might be a huge IF) your options will be signing up for CBS All Access and paying for yet another service, or piracy.

At least at first...

I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I thought is was pretty damned good and the trailer at the end was pretty damned interesting. The pacing I thought was off in places but other than that very cool. This thing has got to cost a fortune, the effects are off the damned charts for TV, that spacewalk scene was just a thing of beauty. I think the sub though is a mistake as that's a lot of lost viewership.

As a Star Trek fan, you should hate it. How far Star Trek has fallen from Next Generation, DS9 & Voyager. :(
ST:TNG was the best. I do like DS9 when the war started. It got good! Voyager was kind of meh. I watched the tail end of an the 2nd episode and it seemed meh.(2 episodes out now?)

ST:TNG was the best. I do like DS9 when the war started. It got good! Voyager was kind of meh. I watched the tail end of an the 2nd episode and it seemed meh.(2 episodes out now?)

ST:TNG had a rough first season but got dramatically better in the second and the introduction of the Borg was HUGE. I liked Voyager and the series finale was pretty damned cool.

Meh. It may not be well made, or may be incongruous with the universe, both of which would be killers for me.

Where did I say anything about SJWs? Though, you know, maybe if studios wouldn't make a massive deal about things neither would anyone else. People didn't freak over Janeway or Cisco. You know why? Because the studio didn't make this big ass deal about it. The roles were what they were and that was that. The studio had the confidence to let the actors stand on their own and prove that they were right for the roles. I'm surprised people don't see a lot of the actions made by studios as insulting. They're acting like minority actors are incapable of proving their casting on their own without massive marketing campaigns dedicated to pointing out how awesome the studio is for allowing these actors to act in those positions. The entire bloody ideology behind Star Trek is that humanity has moved beyond any of this shit and our superficial differences are irrelevant. I loved hearing that they cast Yeoh for the series. She is a great actress and it instantly got my attention. But a lot of the crap, even outside the attitude from studio and cast, about the series since has just left me not caring. It sounds like the entire thing is a mess. I'm not going to pay for CBS' service just to watch a series I have little confidence in.

Of course the whole deal with Yeoh is utterly pointless since they kill her in the first episode anyway.

Actually the character of Captain Philippa Georgiou gets killed in episode two.
;)

The entire bloody ideology behind Star Trek is that humanity has moved beyond any of this shit and our superficial differences are irrelevant.

Yes but ST:TOS made a lot of commentary about these issues, episodes like "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and "Patterns of Force".

I semi-recently re-watched through all of them.

Started with TNG when the remasters came out, which I LOVED as a kid. Picard as an 8 year old kid, Picard became my role a model as a rational leader.

Those were - with a few notable exceptions - kind of meh compared with how I remembered them until about the end of the 3rd season to the early 4th season when things started getting awesome.

Then I re-watched DS9.

I HATED DS9 when it first came out. It felt like Dallas in Space to me, like some sort of soap opera. Maybe it was because I was older, and got more of the subtleties, but I liked it much more in my re-watched, to the point where I think I possibly like it better than TNG, and Benjamin Sisko may have surpassed Picard as my favorite captain.

I loved how when it came down to brass tax, and they had to decide if they were going to be good and upstanding or not, or if they were going to stoop to questionable methods, they chose the latter. Huge "grey zone ethics" drama there which I have come to appreciate.

Then I moved on to Voyager, a show I had only seen an episode or two if previously.

I liked Voyager. I found he characters good. loved Janeway as captain, but ai found some of the writing a little tired, and many of the episodes came across as silly. Still it met my Star Trek fix for a while, and I felt empty inside when it was over.

Then I moved on to Enterprise. I struggled with some of the cavalier ethics in it (Star Trek to me has always been about ethically dramatic situations) but I was still able to enjoy it.

JJ Abrams film reboot was a huge disappointment. I mean, just look at how he portrayed the Klingons.... I'm hoping I won't have this same response to Discovery when I get around to watching it.

Where did I say anything about SJWs? Though, you know, maybe if studios wouldn't make a massive deal about things neither would anyone else. People didn't freak over Janeway or Cisco. You know why? Because the studio didn't make this big ass deal about it. The roles were what they were and that was that. The studio had the confidence to let the actors stand on their own and prove that they were right for the roles. I'm surprised people don't see a lot of the actions made by studios as insulting. They're acting like minority actors are incapable of proving their casting on their own without massive marketing campaigns dedicated to pointing out how awesome the studio is for allowing these actors to act in those positions. The entire bloody ideology behind Star Trek is that humanity has moved beyond any of this shit and our superficial differences are irrelevant. I loved hearing that they cast Yeoh for the series. She is a great actress and it instantly got my attention. But a lot of the crap, even outside the attitude from studio and cast, about the series since has just left me not caring. It sounds like the entire thing is a mess. I'm not going to pay for CBS' service just to watch a series I have little confidence in.

Looks like I quoted the wrong post.

My bad :p

Yes but ST:TOS made a lot of commentary about these issues, episodes like "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and "Patterns of Force".

There's a difference between making commentary within the show itself and shouting from the rooftops that you should be praised for your casting choices. Science-fiction is a great genre for commentating on social issues of the time.

Laughing at comments on Twitter earlier. One person was calling for more disabled people to be featured on Discovery with a statement like "Would be nice to see more disabled people in the future. I wouldn't want to live in a future like that where disabled people don't exist." (seriously)

Guess that person is new to the entire idea of a futuristic space show where technology and society have advanced to a point where medical science can either prevent disabilities or repair them when they happen hence hardly any disabled people in the future.

Another person was saying they were happy to see not one but two powerful female characters in control of a starship and also that they were "bi-racial" which kinda irked me since the two female leads are of the same race: they're both human. I realize that person meant to say "bi-ethnic" or something of a similar nature but even so, good lord people just can't stop being stupid (not to mention what happens to the Captain's character pretty quick anyway). :D

A barrel of laughs to be had in people commenting on Star Trek Discovery for days to come.

There's a difference between making commentary within the show itself and shouting from the rooftops that you should be praised for your casting choices. Science-fiction is a great genre for commentating on social issues of the time.

TOS certainly made some interesting casting choices in its day. It's just in Star Trek's DNA.

Yeah, but only the first two episodes will be aired on CBS.

The rest of the show will be a CBS All Access (CBS's premium streaming service) exclusive.

So if you like the show (which might be a huge IF) your options will be signing up for CBS All Access and paying for yet another service, or piracy.

At least at first...

Fragmenting users has been an issue for a lot of newer companies that try too hard to force a certain service on their users. In this case it appears that CBS is actually using their cash cow to leverage a new service a la cart which would essentially be a new way to monetize content outside of the cable platform, unless, like xfinity which offers online content for all of the partners you subscribe to (espn, ect), it would be included in most high end cable packages. I'm interested in following the outcome of this new proposition since I honestly can't see them continuing their service as a stand alone that will pay for itself. In an income limited situation something like netflix would seem to outrewad anything CBS would offer at a similar pricepoint. At higher income scenarios that already have more content available then they have time to consume, paying for the extra service ONLY for that one show (albeit just this example) seems like an incredibly limited audience compared to the scope of a quote unquote 'public channel' like cbs.

While netflix has differentiated itself from other streaming services through its first party content, I'm not yet convinced that launching this service is their solution yet, but more of a stop gap until they can offer a more vibrant portfolio to this service. Unfortunately they will be fragmenting current subscribers to their station and may alienate many people in the process.

While the popularity of Star Trek is still significant in the scheme of popularity and major movie releases, I can't remember the last time that a Star Trek show occupied prime time on a major channel. Granted they used DS9 to launch a new channel, I still feel like it has been relegated to a niche.

JJ Abrams films on the other hand, the differences in the aesthetic sensibilities were enough to really turn me off. (I know, I know, alternate universe, but still)

I'm hoping for an experience more like Enterprise and less like JJ Abrams films.

Meh. My first Star Trek experience was watching TV with my dad and accidentally catching a re-run of 'And the Children Shall Lead,' which managed to be so simultaneously traumatizing and bad that I never even considered watching Star Trek until the Abrams reboots. The reboots got me to watch everything, they're all fun.

Trek is a wonderful TV series with some absolute gem episodes, but there's also a lot of crap. Regardless of the CBS streaming aspect I hope the show itself is good.

I semi-recently re-watched through all of them.

Started with TNG when the remasters came out, which I LOVED as a kid. Picard as an 8 year old kid, Picard became my role a model as a rational leader.

Those were - with a few notable exceptions - kind of meh compared with how I remembered them until about the end of the 3rd season to the early 4th season when things started getting awesome.

Then I re-watched DS9.

I HATED DS9 when it first came out. It felt like Dallas in Space to me, like some sort of soap opera. Maybe it was because I was older, and got more of the subtleties, but I liked it much more in my re-watched, to the point where I think I possibly like it better than TNG, and Benjamin Sisko may have surpassed Picard as my favorite captain.

I loved how when it came down to brass tax, and they had to decide if they were going to be good and upstanding or not, or if they were going to stoop to questionable methods, they chose the latter. Huge "grey zone ethics" drama there which I have come to appreciate.

Then I moved on to Voyager, a show I had only seen an episode or two if previously.

I liked Voyager. I found he characters good. loved Janeway as captain, but ai found some of the writing a little tired, and many of the episodes came across as silly. Still it met my Star Trek fix for a while, and I felt empty inside when it was over.

Then I moved on to Enterprise. I struggled with some of the cavalier ethics in it (Star Trek to me has always been about ethically dramatic situations) but I was still able to enjoy it.

JJ Abrams film reboot was a huge disappointment. I mean, just look at how he portrayed the Klingons.... I'm hoping I won't have this same response to Discovery when I get around to watching it.

I had the same reaction to DS9 as you did, at least early on. I started really getting into around season 3 and kept watching until the end. Voyager I watched, but never consistently. I've seen the entire series, but about half of it only via re-runs and Netflix. The show's writing was such a mess and they screwed up the whole core idea of the series so royally that the show rarely managed to catch me for too many weeks at a time. Then the ending of the series just...Ugh.

Never got into Enterprise when it was airing. Tried to watch it later and just ugh. It is so hard to sit through the first couple seasons of the series, it is bad. Even Stargate Atlantis had a smoother first season. It is a pity that Enterprise was canceled when it was though, it had started to get pretty good.

I like-ish Abrams Kelvin timeline. He brought in some new twists that worked and the casting was brilliant across the board, but the first two movies just didn't come together well. The first movie was cut to hell and rushed, a lot of the removed storylines would have helped it greatly. Into Darkness pisses me off. I really like the first part of it. Cumberbatch was amazing as Khan and the way he and Pine played off each other reminded me of some good parts of Wrath. Then the last freaking act starts and ruins everything. Switch it up and have Kirk die in place of Spock? Okay, cool. It was a great moment by two outstanding actors and they sold it perfectly. The movie earned the death. But they just had to poof it all away with some fucking lazy ass idea that completely removes the emotion and meaning to the death and renders the entire journey of the both movies pointless. Search for Spock did it better and that movie had Doc Brown playing a Klingon! I have not even bothered seeing Beyond yet. I've heard good things but Into Darkness soured me so much on Abrams Trek that I just can't do it.

I really liked TOS. Sure, there were some really shitty episodes in there but there were also a lot of great ones. Overall, it was really good and I still enjoy watching them today.

TNG was also really good. It definitely had a rough start until the actors started getting a feel for the parts and a better overall interactions with each other. The initial acting was pretty bad and some of the dialogue was rather atrocious but they managed to get that taken care of. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the way they tried to redo quite a few of the TOS shows but again that ended up stopping and they were able to let the show be itself instead of just a remake of TOS. This is my favorite series overall by just edging out TOS.

DS9 started out way too damn slow. I also got sick of the Bajoran stuff within a few episodes and sadly they didn't lay off that, ever. However, the show definitely picked up later on and I think it probably has overall the best and most natural feeling interactions between characters. To me, that was by far the highlight of the show.

Voyager was a pile of shit. I forced myself to watch it beginning to end and I don't think there are more than a few good episodes through the whole run. I didn't like the characters. I didn't like the interactions. Most of the time it felt like continuity was completely missing as it seemed that what happened an episode previous didn't really matter for the next as everything felt reset. The only highlight for the show was the Doctor hologram and that's probably because he was the only character who had any real character growth. As I said, I've watched it once and never watched it again which is the only Star Trek show I've done that with.

A lot of people didn't like Enterprise but I'm of the opposite opinion. Overall I liked the show quite a bit. I enjoyed most of the characters and overall interactions. I realize the technology looked a hell of a lot more advanced than what you would find on TOS but that's expected. People simply aren't going to want to see TOS looking technology and I don't blame them because I didn't want to see it either. However, while it looked "nicer" it didn't really look more futuristic. It had a less refined feel to it while still being something viewers can recognize and relate to. I'll definitely agree that the Temporal Cold War storyline was a huge mistake. I really, really wish they hadn't bothered with that for multiple reasons including the well mentioned one that Star Trek doesn't do time travel type stuff worth a damn at all. Then again, there are very few shows or movies who can use it without looking completely and totally stupid. I'm definitely of the opinion that it's a pity when it was cancelled when it was. The show had definitely come back from the lousy time crap and improved the overall storyline a lot. That said, the series finale was some of the absolute worst trash I have ever seen in a show. I simply refuse to watch that again and prefer to believe it doesn't even exist.

The Star Trek reboot I do and don't care for. They're good space action movies but they simply aren't Star Trek. I've only watched the first two and I don't have any sort of burning desire to watch any more. I'll probably get around to it but it's definitely not a priority. I enjoy the movies as long as I don't think of them as Star Trek movies and instead as just a sort of generic space action movie.

I hope this is good. But I don't have high hopes. Would have liked to have seen something set after TNG though. Getting sick of filler and prequels.

It's visual vomit, and the acting and plotting feels like a fan-made film.

Not stellar, but the first episode was much, much better than I expected.

I'm actually digging the title sequence. It's not as bombastic as prior ST series, but looks very cool. At least they definitively steered clear of anything resembling the god-awful Enterprice title sequence... "It's been a looongg tiiimme..." <wretch, barf>

Oh man, I just love the hipster / old people "why in my day (x) was fucking better goddammit!" A lot of people have not even seen it yet, damn at least ride out the first season, I mean, TNG's first season wasn't too shiny either. Once they caught their groove though, that is when the magic happened. And now for those who are whining about "political" stuff and getting sand in their vaginas due to the particular circumstances of characters OF A GODDAMN FICTIONAL TV SHOW, IMO means you have some serious issues and need to put the fucking Kool-Aide down.

Just sayin'.

I believe the correct term is "Growing the Beard", one of my favorite TV tropes/terms.

Completely agree with you: give the show a chance. It's not the creative folks fault CBS is using the show as a hook for its stupid streaming service. Also, for those people decrying the "SJW" undertones in the show, I imagine you guys sound a lot like people who trolled TOS back in the 60s for similar reasons. I'm mean, c'mon... This is the show that had a positive Russian character cast at the height of the cold war, and the first interracial kiss on (American) TV. There was an entire episode of TNG where the cocksmith falls in love with a gender-confused hermaphrodite (and gets dumped in the end!) -- it's gonna be a bit boundary pushing and left-leaning.

Last edited:
It is overtly PC. I want to like it BC honestly I enjoyed the space vistas. However, way too PC oriented story lines.

Oh man, I just love the hipster / old people "why in my day (x) was fucking better goddammit!" A lot of people have not even seen it yet, damn at least ride out the first season, I mean, TNG's first season wasn't too shiny either. Once they caught their groove though, that is when the magic happened. And now for those who are whining about "political" stuff and getting sand in their vaginas due to the particular circumstances of characters OF A GODDAMN FICTIONAL TV SHOW, IMO means you have some serious issues and need to put the fucking Kool-Aide down.

Just sayin'.

TNG wasn't also forcing casting changes in order to push a political agenda. So there is that "small" detail.

TNG wasn't also forcing casting changes in order to push a political agenda. So there is that "small" detail.

Wait, what? Rodenberry and co. specifically casted to fit particular socio-political agendas in both TNG and TOS.

As much as I would love Star Trek to have a successful TV series (Enterprise was canceled too early as well). I hope this experiment with CBS All Access is an epic failure. A majority of people have "cut the cord" for a reason. People only care about a handful of shows and don't want to pay $150 a month to watch them. Using 1970 TV plans for streaming services isn't going to bring more customers, it's going to drive them away. No one is going to pay $7-15 a month on 9 different streaming services from TNT/TBS/CBS/HBO/Stars/Showtime/Netflix/Amazon Prime etc. We need 1 or 2 unified streaming services, and that's it. Same goes with gaming platforms, we don't need Origin, Battlenet, Uplay, Sega Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, Microsoft Store, etc when we have Steam. All of this is already more fragmented than the Android ecosystem, and that's a mess in itself for developers. This isn't competition, it's a disaster. It needs uniformity.

I agree yet disagree. What you are asking for is a monopoly. What's stopping your 2 streaming services to charge $30 a month.

Just sayin'.

says the guy getting worked up over other people getting worked up. :D

Either way, as just a trek show, it may be the worst ive seen yet out of a star trek series. By far.

Deep Sleep 9. Cracked me up when Deanna Troi, er Martina said that.

At any rate this sequence appears to have influences from Westworld's opening titles, but not creepy.

I didn't bother watching it just because of the all access thing, i'll catch it when it comes to netflix or something else

I thought it was pretty good. I remember how sucky the first TNG episodes were and this was better.

Meh. It may or may not be well made, or may be incongruous with the universe, both of which would be killers for me.

Well it's not SJW because of the gender or race of the captain. Anyway it's funny how sjws side with Asians despite the fact they're doing better than the "evil racist white people" . If they had any consistency they'd need to hate Asians.

People thought the original Star Trek was nuts for having a black female officer and a communist and Asian as well. I guess Roddenberry was always a SJW. In fact, the entirety of the Star Trek universe is PC/SJW complete with socialism (free healthcare, no money, etc).

If you don't like this new series because it rocks your political sensitivities then I can't see how you wouldn't have been equally triggered by every other Star Trek series...

Back