cageymaru

Fully [H]
Cars BOOM on YouTube has released a video documenting 2019 Ford Ranger production at its Michigan assembly plant. Watch man and machine work together to create vehicles for this iconic American brand.

Ranger production is underway at Michigan Assembly Plant. The truck arrives at dealers nationwide starting in January.

I like it, loved my '92 Ranger. I'm old.

Anyways, the 2019 Ranger has been based on an international 2011 version.

Yea, it's a cool process. I've done the tour through their production line for F150's.

This is how the robots lull you into a complacency.

Next thing you know they start finding organic meat bags in the glove boxes at the dash station.

That's pretty cool, but I struggle to call this a Ranger.

It's F150 sized... The Ranger was always a small pickup for people who didn't want or need a large truck.

The GM version (Colorado/Canyon) isn't much different. They're almost the same size as a C/K1500 was back in the mid 90s. The Toyotas and Nissans are smaller but they're still way bigger than the old S10/Ranger/Dakota type pickups.

The GM version (Colorado/Canyon) isn't much different. They're almost the same size as a C/K1500 was back in the mid 90s. The Toyotas and Nissans are smaller but they're still way bigger than the old S10/Ranger/Dakota type pickups.
Not all must it is and as for Toyota and Nissan they are big much bigger then my 88 Toyota SR5 that I used to have

...and despite the bloated size, that bed (0:45) looks like it holds about as much as my old '94 Civic's trunk.

That's pretty cool, but I struggle to call this a Ranger.

It's F150 sized... The Ranger was always a small pickup for people who didn't want or need a large truck.

No it is not. We had 6 delivered to our yard. I sat in the FX4, checking it out.(Teamster Carhaul Division here) It was small next to the RAM 1500 sitting next to them. No where near the size of an F150 especially in the interior department. Price on tag $34,995. About what an F150 went for a few years ago. :)

No it is not. We had 6 delivered to our yard. I sat in the FX4, checking it out.(Teamster Carhaul Division here) It was small next to the RAM 1500 sitting next to them. No where near the size of an F150 especially in the interior department. Price on tag $34,995. About what an F150 went for a few years ago. :)

Fair. Let me rephrase that. It's the same size an F150 was not that long ago.

Compare the size to a 90s F150 though. It’s the same thing GM did with the Colorado/Canyon. Originally they were just a little larger than the S10 was. Now they’re all this new fad of being “Midsized” and absolutely huge.

I pass newer models in my 2009 halfton Silverado quite often and they’re absolutely every bit as large. Just shorter length and a smaller appearing Cab (crewcab to crewcab). Sizes in general are just getting larger.

Anyone watched similar videos of other non-US auto manufacturing facilities? Ever notice how only the Americans are allowed to dress in old t-shirts and sweatpants? Everyone else is wearing either a company uniform or jumpsuit. Makes the US plants look very unprofessional, without any pride in their work. We can be as high-tech and automated as we want, but it still looks really sloppy. Have unions got such a hold on us that we can't even enforce basic dress codes anymore? I'd be sent home and reprimanded for dressing like that at work.

Anyone watched similar videos of other non-US auto manufacturing facilities? Ever notice how only the Americans are allowed to dress in old t-shirts and sweatpants? Everyone else is wearing either a company uniform or jumpsuit. Makes the US plants look very unprofessional, without any pride in their work. We can be as high-tech and automated as we want, but it still looks really sloppy. Have unions got such a hold on us that we can't even enforce basic dress codes anymore? I'd be sent home and reprimanded for dressing like that at work.
Honest question: does a company uniform result in lower costs, higher productivity, or better quality?

It doesn’t look professional I agree, but if the work is good I guess it doesn’t matter. Maybe Ford doesn’t want to provide uniforms. I was more surprised at the lack of bump caps, lots of stuff moving around overhead it seems like.

2smywe.jpg

Being in a union, they’ve pushed for uniforms and have talked about how some members basically look like trash on job sites. Sweatpants absolutely shouldn’t be allowed, but I see nothing wrong with a T shirt though long sleeves are usually required (and enforced.)

On the other hand, outside of looking unprofessional it really doesn’t have any affect on the quality other than perhaps conformation bias. “Ah damn my ford broke down, it’s because those sweatpant wearing delinquents built it!” Realistically vehicles break down.

I think the non-dress code thing is cool, being it's the "land of the free" or whatever... it does make it look as though these are real people/mechanics and not just some brain-dead randos that sat in front of a prescribed training video. as long as we don't venture into walmart territory with their butt and wtf-is-that hanging out, that's where I'd start to feel scared...

Back