Watch Half-Life: Alyx being played without VR

Literally would rather watch someone else play through a vr game in vr then play a bastardized version that misses out on most everything to it. Take something as basic vr game as Pavlov and take away the vr element it literally just becomes the most basic m/k shooter that misses the point.

Literally would rather watch someone else play through a vr game in vr then play a bastardized version that misses out on most everything to it. Take something as basic vr game as Pavlov and take away the vr element it literally just becomes the most basic m/k shooter that misses the point.
Tell us how your watching experience is when you are through the 15 hours or so.

Pfft, I have a VR Headset. Game is bought. Now I just have to figure out how to get my touch controllers to register :\
Sounds like a real [H] configuration your got going on there. Not that was the topic....

The game was built from the ground up for a VR experience.

If you think going VR only is going to sell more dollars overall, you are an idiot, and have a math issue.

Wish MY touch controllers worked better. o_O (Oh, you meant about VR!)

Sounds like a real [H] configuration your got going on there. Not that was the topic....

The game was built from the ground up for a VR experience.

If you think going VR only is going to sell more dollars overall, you are an idiot, and have a math issue.

Man, its salty in here. My point was if they wanted to make a hybrid version, it would have been just as easy and would have led to more sales. The half life customer base is pretty darn dedicated and many will shell out for a VR headset to play the game. But they should have just made it compatible from the start. Maybe they just wanted to showcase it first in VR and release a desktop version patch. I would think the game would be less exciting without VR IMO.

My point was being around them selling more VR headsets but from what I was reading, they can't even make them fast enough and they are expensive AF.

Kyle, I don't get why you had to attack me that way.

Reactions: Ryom
like this
Man, its salty in here. My point was if they wanted to make a hybrid version, it would have been just as easy and would have led to more sales. The half life customer base is pretty darn dedicated and many will shell out for a VR headset to play the game. But they should have just made it compatible from the start. Maybe they just wanted to showcase it first in VR and release a desktop version patch. I would think the game would be less exciting without VR IMO.

My point was being around them selling more VR headsets but from what I was reading, they can't even make them fast enough and they are expensive AF.

Tired of the whining day after day after day.. Vote with your wallet.

Alyx works with almost every VR and WMR HMD on the market. You don't need an Index to play the game. The game even works sitting, standing, and roomscale configurations. The point of Alyx according to Valve was to attack the chicken and egg problem by providing a AAA experience with a well-known property and expand the VR market, which is good for everyone.

And, no, it would not have been as easy to make a hybrid version. All the gameplay systems are designed around VR. In order to get the optimal experience without VR they would basically have to develop an entirely different game.

The entire point of the game is VR. They aren't going to make a shitty non-VR version of the game to get more sales.

In 2012 when the first version of the Rift came out I said Half-Life 3 will be a VR game. I guess I was wrong because they made Half-Life: Alyx instead of Half-Life 3.

Valve was not going to make another Half-Life game unless it brought a completely new revolutionary experience like the first two did.
CPU and GPU speed hasn't been a real limiting factor on gameplay for a long time there isn't really anything they could do with Half-Life 3 that hasn't been done well in other games.
VR still has a lot that hasn't been done well, so it was the perfect opportunity for them to make a new Half-Life game.

Making a desktop compatible version completely misses the point. If all Valve wanted to do was make money we'd have a new shitty Half-Life game every year just like COD.

Why would they make it compatible The game was made to sell VR sets, but not just indexes, to increase the VR install base so AAA devs start to see it as a viable platform.

If they made it optional then it would fail the only task it was meant to achieve. And besides as you say the game without VR would not be exciting, it would be just a shooter.

Didn't someone also make an fps mode for GTAV? It's the same, neat but pointless.

Tell us how your watching experience is when you are through the 15 hours or so.
I wont have too i already have a VR set. I already know what the gimmick VR provides as it's a immersive real world space, 3 dimensional controls with half of the fun comes from the complexity of having to intact real world actions and just fiddling with stuff.

Limiting it to a m/k is so far removed from what it would feel like to play a game made for VR that i would rather watch someone fiddle with the VR stuff instead of playing a stripped down to a bare minimum version due to 2 dimensional controls and super simple inputs.

In VR it's amazing. On a normal monitor I can only imagine it'd be a pretty boring game. I don't think it'd translate well to "2D".

Back