Watch Dogs was intentionally hobbled on PC

I wonder if these setting use to much VRAM and causes poor performance on 3gb cards. I would love to see some 1080p benchmarks with these settings. If that is the case, I could see nvidia having ubisoft gimping the settings seeing how their cards (other then Titan) only having 3gb.

So basically they soup the game for e3 with settings that are never going to be in the game, then they run it on a PC because nothing else can actually run it.They show this to you and tell you to buy it on a console. Thats pretty much what is going on all the time now

That's what really scares me about titles that are still in development. The games being shown at E3 that are being released in fall or teased into 2015 have me concerned about how they are going to look when finally released.

ProjektRED has really been the only ones to seem to do the "right" thing consistently with making an actual PC game. They were able to score a pre-order from me (the discounts also helped too).

I still like some of the things incorporated into Watch Dogs...it's just too bad that the gameplay issues are holding me back from pulling a full-price trigger. As someone said earlier, maybe this might help it become a worthwhile buy if a steam/uplay deal rolls around.

I prefer arcade style driving rather being so serious. I already do serious driving in real life...

Agreed 100%. Give me something arcadey and fast with tight controls and questionable physics. I'm having fun and living an action movie, not training for Formula 1.

I hate Ubisoft as much as the next game but they didn't create some grand plan to screw over players by disabling a ton of stuff. They did that well enough alone with what they did release..
I'm going to mostly agree with you, but when they have stuff like "This is PC only, who cares..." in the game code it goes to show you how much of a fuck they give about non-console gamers.

The sad part is many of the more experienced/older gamers/developers out there started out as PC gamers and programmers. Now they're just pretentious pricks.

I think you're reading far too much into that. Was it a legitimate expression of disinterest or a passive, sarcastic quip against management? Who knows?

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but stuff like that seems rather inappropriate in a work environment, let alone leaving it in consumer software where anyone with common sense would realize how easily it could be found.

And this sir's, is why they no longer have downloadable demo's for games. If you remember back a few years...you were able to download the first 2-3 levels of a game and see if you liked it. Now? They gussy it up for e3, spend tons on marketing to make you feel like you "have" to have the newest game and then drop a huge stanley steamer in your lap after you pre-order and wait months for it to hit the toilet.

BattleFail 4
Watch Dogs
What's next?

Oh, Hardline, Witcher3, BF5, OH PLEASE GOD DONT RUIN Battlefront 3! The list goes on and on. Don't pre-order, that's all I have to say. Just wait and see...and then wait for it to go on sale! Warframe is doing it right, although, it's been in beta for like 2 years.

We can confirm that this image is legit as we’ve unpacked the ‘shaders.dat’ file that contains the deferredambient.inc.fx, in which the above command lines can be found.

Sure, Mr. Video Game Blogger.

If everyone shared that short sighted mentality, there would be no more PC titles being developed to be able to bitch about.

A little obtuse to build an expensive rig like in your Sig then have the sense of entitlement that games should be $5 if not pirated. That's just bottom feeding.

You missed my original, deleted post. I buy plenty of games, my steam account is 214 games strong, plenty of which were day-one purchases. I also don't (or didn't) assume that all games should be 5 dollars. You're putting words in my mouth.

Im referring to Ubisoft, and this game in particular. I was kinda excited about it, but based on the revelations now surfacing, I'm holding off. I'll buy this game, but now I could give two turds about rewarding such a half-assed, disingenuous and callous approach to a release.

Thats the way we ALL should approach it. Thousands of PC gamers just ate a shit sandwich and Ubi passed it off as sloppy joe. I dont feel obligated to give them a damned thing, and they're lucky that I'm still EVENTUALLY going to buy it. But now, instead of paying the price that they want, I'll pay what I have decided the work is worth to me. Which is a cup of shitty starbucks coffee.

The Witcher franchise has had a pretty good track record for not producing fluff when putting together trailers. Like I said, that combined with the previous owner discount was a pretty good motivator for me to get it pre-ordered because I want to support CD Projekt RED. I almost look at it as a Kickstarter. You get my money ahead of time and I get some good bonuses. If I'm already set on getting the game day one, then there shouldn't be a big problem, right?

But these other titles (funny that you list almost all EA titles!) make me timidly suspect. Definitely going to follow that wait-and-see approach, then maybe get them on a sale.

And...you're going to throw Warframe out there? Isn't it still F2P? Not too sure what they got right. The earlier beta versions were horrendously monotonous. Moreso than grinds in other MMOs. There was a fun factor at least, which always helps. But there's other F2P MMOs that get that done, too. And by F2P, I don't necessarily mean P2W (pay to win), just pay for time & convenience.

Sure, Mr. Video Game Blogger.

Maybe Mr. Video Game Blogger is [H]ard?

Last edited:
I have a friend that works at Ubisoft and worked on Watch Dogs from the beginning. He says that Ubisoft new very well that the PC version was broken and completely unfinished and not ready to be released. They said the higher ups said it had to be released before E3 so that when the new games were announced people didn't lose interested in Watch Dogs and cut into their sales with in the first couple of weeks. He said they also had extra "influence" to make the Xbox One version look better then the PS4 version. I don't know about that last bit but that is what he said.

Why wouldn't Ubi just delay the PC version? That's usually what goes down, anyway.

Crap like this is why we spent 6 hours on the LAN Sunday playing Quake2:Ground Zero.

Good games never get old; everything I've bought in the last few years sucked.

DNF is the last game I paid full price for... (shudder)

:D

I don't understand why any writer would try to reach out for an official comment on something like that. Obviously they're going to get a PR legal response in defense of PC gaming, as opposed to "Oh yeah, Derrick wrote that. He's such an asshole, I fire him two weeks ago!" Honestly, the inner workings of a company's low-level personnel are really nobody's concern until they steal, kill, or slander.

yeah, then user D4rkn3ss says to put people inside cloth sacks and beat them with wooden planks or beat peoples legs with an iron pipe user D4rkn3ss is the bad guy huh?

PC gamers need to abandon Ubisoft. No other company has shown such outright contempt for the platform and its users than Ubisoft.

Stop buying the bullshit.

If you open deferredambient.inc.fx from the shaders dat/fat file.

yGCQWdT.jpg

You obviously don't code for a job, no offence.

Looks like a variable that only has one definition as it's only intended for the PC; the rem statement reflects this, but the else capture remains in place, probably just out of caution. 'DefaultProbeUpperColor' is likely undefined in the PC code, hence the 'Who cares' remark.

Nothing to see here.

Agreed 100%. Give me something arcadey and fast with tight controls and questionable physics. I'm having fun and living an action movie, not training for Formula 1.

At least someone agrees with me here. Why so serious? :D

You obviously don't code for a job, no offence.

Looks like a variable that only has one definition as it's only intended for the PC; the rem statement reflects this, but the else capture remains in place, probably just out of caution. 'DefaultProbeUpperColor' is likely undefined in the PC code, hence the 'Who cares' remark.

Nothing to see here.

QFT! The "who cares" statement is a non issue... what IS an issue is Ubisoft not letting PC gamers toggle the additional shader and particle effects that are already in the game. Labeling these settings as "E3" also shows that they intentionally misdirected the audience into thinking that the final product would look like the 2012 E3 demo they showed off.

Same ole story. If PC gamers keep buying this garbage (especially pre-ordering, and especially at post-launch prices over 50% of launch-day price), why should they reduce their profit to do any different? Constant talk from PC gamers but no action to back it up.

Same ole story. If PC gamers keep buying this garbage (especially pre-ordering, and especially at post-launch prices over 50% of launch-day price), why should they reduce their profit to do any different? Constant talk from PC gamers but no action to back it up.

Yeah that's probably the most upsetting thing about all of this, after Ubisoft had made public statements that they wanted to get back into PC gamers graces after all the shit they pulled the 4 years prior

PC gamers need to abandon Ubisoft. No other company has shown such outright contempt for the platform and its users than Ubisoft.

Actually, Microsoft has. No PC versions of Gears of War, Forza, Halo. I think they have Ubi beat.

Actually, Microsoft has. No PC versions of Gears of War, Forza, Halo. I think they have Ubi beat.

In microsoft's defense, Gears not being on PC was Epic's choice all this time

That said, the only reason Microsoft is even giving PC gamers a nod is because its the biggest industry ATM

I don't think you're looking at the same code I'm looking at. There's a preprocessor conditional on READ_3D_TEXTURES and, within that, NOMAD_PLATFORM_XENON. Assumably NOMAD_PLATFORM_XENON is defined in the X360 target, which would mean upperColor would receive a meaningful value in the X360 build. Regardless of whether some, all or none of these macros are defined, upperColor gets a value, either computed or from a constant.

If upperValue is a value intended only for the PC, why would the comment suggest that the last of many preprocessor-conditional assignment to upperColor is "PC only"?

v0.7 has way too much DoF usage... had to uninstall rightquick since it was lagging my system way too much. I already have the settings turned way up with the tweaker tool.

Well EA has. But yea you make a valid point. I haven't bought an Ubisoft game on the PC in quite a long... long time.

Pretty sad state of affairs over there.

My source who works at Ubisoft on Watch Dogs says that the development team has written off the PC version saying that its a huge failure and one of the main reasons the PC version was released so broken is because they were over budget on it and had to say good enough. They also don't intend to offer much support for the PC version. That we can expect one or two patches to help address some of these current issues but that will be all as their is no additional money in the Watch Dogs PC budget to continues supporting it. He says part of the issue with Ubisoft PC games is too many components of the game are built in various studios around the world. When they start mashing up all these different elements it introduces problems.

You know what pisses me off more than Ubisofts arrogance. The fact that I just brought this game and find this out... Wish I could return it on steam.

Last game I ever buy from them.

My source who works at Ubisoft on Watch Dogs says that the development team has written off the PC version saying that its a huge failure and one of the main reasons the PC version was released so broken is because they were over budget on it and had to say good enough. They also don't intend to offer much support for the PC version. That we can expect one or two patches to help address some of these current issues but that will be all as their is no additional money in the Watch Dogs PC budget to continues supporting it. He says part of the issue with Ubisoft PC games is too many components of the game are built in various studios around the world. When they start mashing up all these different elements it introduces problems.

That makes no damn sense, why design the console games under mostly one building, and then develop the PC version in a clusterfuck around the planet?

That makes no damn sense, why design the console games under mostly one building, and then develop the PC version in a clusterfuck around the planet?

No, parts of the game. It's not all that uncommon in software/hardware development, anymore (at least where I work - non-gaming).

EDIT: nvm, you were implying something else.

Back