Watch AMD's CES Keynote Here

Well, that was fun. I might have to swap out my 1080ti for one of those RVII's if the nvidia gsync vrr doesn't work for my XR382CQK.
Solved my problem of upgrading core platform, I'll be waiting till summer for zen 2 for sure.

I'm in love with Dr. Lisa Su.
Making AMD competitive in the desktop and server markets is a huge win for everyone.
she brought the leather jacket this time around, probably to troll the jacket meme of jensen, but this keynote was kinda disapointing, i expected more from 7nm in performance and cost.

Guess mid-2019 will give me more time to save up some extra cash so I can definitely go for a top end CPU, board, and have some fun with stupid RAM speeds and amounts. Just going to have to keep that upgrade itch at bay for another 6-ish months.

May as well wait an extra 8 or 9 months and go TR.

I think Zen 2 is exciting. There's clearly a lot of potential there, and we just saw the tip of the iceberg.

Vega 2 is a little less exciting, but it does give you the opportunity to get off of the nVidia platform. It's more of a "side-grade" from a 1080Ti, and would let you to properly use Freesync monitors with proper driver support.

Also fuck RTX, that shit is useless right now anyways.

So I've a 1080ti. Would there be any point in looking at the Vega 7
I'll guarantee I'll have no interest in the bundle games, so maybe if they could sell for 100 dollars get the card for 600... Maybe

middle of 2019 launch. was hoping sooner, but not bad

Honestly I figured it would be April at the earliest (last year AMD launched their new cpu in April). So for me it is not too much longer than that previous thought that I had.

Reactions: zrikz
like this
Very meh keynote.

Radeon VII looked great up until the price was released. It looks to basically be a 1080 Ti from 2 years ago at the same launch price. Missed opportunity for AMD there.

3rd Gen Ryzen looks interesting, but too little information given out during the "preview".

I think Zen 2 is exciting. There's clearly a lot of potential there, and we just saw the tip of the iceberg.

Vega 2 is a little less exciting, but it does give you the opportunity to get off of the nVidia platform. It's more of a "side-grade" from a 1080Ti, and would let you to properly use Freesync monitors with proper driver support.

That’s basically how I felt. Hard pass on Vega 2 but I’ll be getting me a Zen 2 especially since it just plops into my current board.

I'll guarantee I'll have no interest in the bundle games, so maybe if they could sell for 100 dollars get the card for 600... Maybe

probably not unless there's some overclock headroom but even at a 1080ti there's not really a compelling reason to upgrade even on the nvidia side either.

Yeah I agree this is how it is. I am not to fussed that it is going to take them a little longer producing those Zen 2 chiplets in the end that is only better since it will take a while to get better binned silicon and not going bother with the 8 core Ryzen 3000 (hoping that the frequency for the 12 core is better).

so...zen 2...really possible to have a 16/32 model?

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0

I think it's worth considering if you want to use any Freesync monitor on the market right now. They are much cheaper than their Gsync counterparts. Also worth noting that nVidia's driver support currently isn't optimal at all for their non-Gsync monitor announcement.

So I may just have to push back my new system build by a few months...... Was going to snag a 2700x and a 2080 some time around March... But with this I can probably push back an extra 2-3 months to see what the new stuff has to offer, or at least see what nVidia does to counter this.

so...zen 2...really possible to have a 16/32 model?

sure, and if you think about it, it opens the door for a lot of interesting stuff with APU's being able to do 8 core/16 thread + ryzen 7nm gpu but probably won't see that til mid 2020.

am i missing something here? she said ryzen 3 + radeon 7 was getting about 120fps in Forza @ 1080p. all the benchmarks im seeing shows the vega 64 getting that same performance @ 1080p right now.

Some thoughts. It shows how far ahead nvidia still is with graphics that even though they are not on 7nm yet, their chips are still at or outstripping amd graphics parts.

I am really interested in knowing what the die size is for radeon 7.

For Turing:

2080 - 545mm
2080ti - 754mm

The 2080 ti is HUGE. And because extra space was devoted to those tenser and rtx raytracing cores performance is how much extra on average? 20-25%

This is where it gets more interesting. In some dx11 titles and dx12 titles vega 7 was running neck and neck with the 2080, but in that VULKAN title it was 25% faster.

This could mean that in vulkan titles, the vega 7 is basically a 2080ti, for 699. Not bad. Will be interesting to see the new doom game numbers.

am i missing something here? she said ryzen 3 + radeon 7 was getting about 120fps in Forza @ 1080p. all the benchmarks im seeing shows the vega 64 getting that same performance @ 1080p right now.
Yeah that was not the best case they could make for their product :)

16 GB of vRAM and 7nm could also mean that there's a lot of performance to squeeze out of Vega 2 with water cooling (and 3rd party vendors), assuming they don't have the same kind of power issues Vega 1 had.

forza Horizon 4 was a terrible choice but it's also one of the better ported console games from the xbox. the game runs on 7 cores and once you enable extreme textures and i think there's one other extreme option performance goes into the shitter really quickly.. tried it with my 1070@1080p, 120+fps all ultra, set those two to extreme and boom 70fps even though my gpu load never changed. game looked effing beautiful with it on though.

16 GB of vRAM and 7nm could also mean that there's a lot of performance to squeeze out of Vega 2 with water cooling (and 3rd party vendors), assuming they don't have the same kind of power issues Vega 1 had.
Triple fan cooler and long. Thats 300+watt or exceptionally sensitive to heat.

Vega is just their new Bulldozer. Really is no helping its performance.

Maybe Navi will be their new Zen.

"How does Ryzen really perform compared to the competition?"

3rd gen ryzen in Cinebench 8C16T Ryzen, not final frequency, early sample vs stock frequencies of Intel 9900k.

Ryzen 2057, Intel 2040.

Marginal win, but still a win. Same core and thread count, so it looks like they have finally caught up in IPC.

7nm also allows much lower power use.

This is what I came here for!

If final silicon holds up to the expectations set today and if I can make the relatively limited number of PCIe lanes in Ryzen work for me, I'm buying one on launch. If not, I'm waiting for 7nm Threadripper.

I want to be able to have two NVMe drives at 4x lanes each, 16x lanes to my GPU, at least one 10Gbit Ethernet and one Gigabit Ethernet port, and it would also be nice to be able to keep my old Creative Titanium HD (I don't NEED it, I use an external DAC via optical cable, and could just use th eon board port, but I like keeping the high quality RCA in's the Titanim HD has for recording.)

This is tough to do on a current Ryzen, but maybe with PCIe4 more bandwidth will be available to the chipset, allowing motherboard makers to add more PCIe slots?

If they could "downmix" a couple of Gen 4 lanes from the CPU to a boatload of Gen2 lanes (for older cards) available in slots, I would be ecstatic!

The biggest gift was to Nvidia, no competition on either price or performance. They showed their cards and looks like they were bluffing.

nothing lower range and vega2 looks a big card, but if can compete with 2080/2080ti then it would be a partial win.

no reason to upgrade from the 64 though.

Back