Watch AMD's CES Keynote Here

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 9, 2019.

1. trick_m0nkey

trick_m0nkey Moderator Staff Member

I think Zen 2 is exciting. There's clearly a lot of potential there, and we just saw the tip of the iceberg.

Vega 2 is a little less exciting, but it does give you the opportunity to get off of the nVidia platform. It's more of a "side-grade" from a 1080Ti, and would let you to properly use Freesync monitors with proper driver support.

Also fuck RTX, that shit is useless right now anyways.

Darth Kyrie, Dayaks and alxlwson like this.
  2. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

So I've a 1080ti. Would there be any point in looking at the Vega 7
    I'll guarantee I'll have no interest in the bundle games, so maybe if they could sell for 100 dollars get the card for 600... Maybe

3. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

Honestly I figured it would be April at the earliest (last year AMD launched their new cpu in April). So for me it is not too much longer than that previous thought that I had.

zrikz likes this.
  4. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Zen 2 is certainly more exciting. Cant wait.

5. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Luckily Bitcoin is on life support.

6. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Very meh keynote.

Radeon VII looked great up until the price was released. It looks to basically be a 1080 Ti from 2 years ago at the same launch price. Missed opportunity for AMD there.

3rd Gen Ryzen looks interesting, but too little information given out during the "preview".

LightsOut41, Chimpee and mbelue like this.
  7. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

That’s basically how I felt. Hard pass on Vega 2 but I’ll be getting me a Zen 2 especially since it just plops into my current board.

trick_m0nkey likes this.
  8. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

probably not unless there's some overclock headroom but even at a 1080ti there's not really a compelling reason to upgrade even on the nvidia side either.

TheOne&OnlyZeke likes this.
  9. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah I agree this is how it is. I am not to fussed that it is going to take them a little longer producing those Zen 2 chiplets in the end that is only better since it will take a while to get better binned silicon and not going bother with the 8 core Ryzen 3000 (hoping that the frequency for the 12 core is better).

10. oopspowsurprise

oopspowsurprise [H]Lite

Ryzen 5 (mid range) beat Intel i9 9900K (high end) in that benchmark...

Dayaks and Pieter3dnow like this.
  11. RslayerR

RslayerR n00b

so...zen 2...really possible to have a 16/32 model?

Attached Files:

• cpu.jpg
      cpu.jpg
      File size:
      133 KB
      Views:
    schmide and mbelue like this.
  12. trick_m0nkey

I think it's worth considering if you want to use any Freesync monitor on the market right now. They are much cheaper than their Gsync counterparts. Also worth noting that nVidia's driver support currently isn't optimal at all for their non-Gsync monitor announcement.

13. Gatecrasher3000

Gatecrasher3000 Limp Gawd

I wanted to build a new rig in May, but I guess we get just the tip for a little while longer.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  14. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

So I may just have to push back my new system build by a few months...... Was going to snag a 2700x and a 2080 some time around March... But with this I can probably push back an extra 2-3 months to see what the new stuff has to offer, or at least see what nVidia does to counter this.

15. sirmonkey1985

sure, and if you think about it, it opens the door for a lot of interesting stuff with APU's being able to do 8 core/16 thread + ryzen 7nm gpu but probably won't see that til mid 2020.

16. another-user

another-user Gawd

am i missing something here? she said ryzen 3 + radeon 7 was getting about 120fps in Forza @ 1080p. all the benchmarks im seeing shows the vega 64 getting that same performance @ 1080p right now.

17. tybert7

tybert7 2[H]4U

Some thoughts. It shows how far ahead nvidia still is with graphics that even though they are not on 7nm yet, their chips are still at or outstripping amd graphics parts.

I am really interested in knowing what the die size is for radeon 7.

For Turing:

2080 - 545mm
    2080ti - 754mm

The 2080 ti is HUGE. And because extra space was devoted to those tenser and rtx raytracing cores performance is how much extra on average? 20-25%

This is where it gets more interesting. In some dx11 titles and dx12 titles vega 7 was running neck and neck with the 2080, but in that VULKAN title it was 25% faster.

This could mean that in vulkan titles, the vega 7 is basically a 2080ti, for 699. Not bad. Will be interesting to see the new doom game numbers.

18. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah that was not the best case they could make for their product :)

19. trick_m0nkey

16 GB of vRAM and 7nm could also mean that there's a lot of performance to squeeze out of Vega 2 with water cooling (and 3rd party vendors), assuming they don't have the same kind of power issues Vega 1 had.

Dayaks likes this.
  20. sirmonkey1985

forza Horizon 4 was a terrible choice but it's also one of the better ported console games from the xbox. the game runs on 7 cores and once you enable extreme textures and i think there's one other extreme option performance goes into the shitter really quickly.. tried it with my 1070@1080p, 120+fps all ultra, set those two to extreme and boom 70fps even though my gpu load never changed. game looked effing beautiful with it on though.

21. mbelue

mbelue Limp Gawd

The same, costs the same.

22. oopspowsurprise

oopspowsurprise [H]Lite

Where there is Radeon 7, there is also Radeon 5 and Radeon 3? and maybe Radeon 9?

dvsman likes this.
  23. mbelue

mbelue Limp Gawd

Triple fan cooler and long. Thats 300+watt or exceptionally sensitive to heat.

Vega is just their new Bulldozer. Really is no helping its performance.

Maybe Navi will be their new Zen.

24. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Have you been to nVidia.com. The 2080 is 100$ more and on newegg it's even more expensive.

Darth Kyrie and Pieter3dnow like this.
  25. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

If final silicon holds up to the expectations set today and if I can make the relatively limited number of PCIe lanes in Ryzen work for me, I'm buying one on launch. If not, I'm waiting for 7nm Threadripper.

I want to be able to have two NVMe drives at 4x lanes each, 16x lanes to my GPU, at least one 10Gbit Ethernet and one Gigabit Ethernet port, and it would also be nice to be able to keep my old Creative Titanium HD (I don't NEED it, I use an external DAC via optical cable, and could just use th eon board port, but I like keeping the high quality RCA in's the Titanim HD has for recording.)

This is tough to do on a current Ryzen, but maybe with PCIe4 more bandwidth will be available to the chipset, allowing motherboard makers to add more PCIe slots?

If they could "downmix" a couple of Gen 4 lanes from the CPU to a boatload of Gen2 lanes (for older cards) available in slots, I would be ecstatic!

26. mbelue

mbelue Limp Gawd

27. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

28. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

and it is essentially the vega 56 version of vega 20

mbelue likes this.
  29. blackacidevil

blackacidevil Gawd

No. It's a play on Roman numerals.
    Vega 2 = VII = 7.

30. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

How is AdoredTV doing, score-wise with his predictions?

31. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

AMD just gifted intel 6 months

LightsOut41 and mikeo like this.
  32. mbelue

mbelue Limp Gawd

Yeah as soon as they posted the price I was curious if Nvida was ready to drop prices. Looks like they were.

33. mbelue

mbelue Limp Gawd

The biggest gift was to Nvidia, no competition on either price or performance. They showed their cards and looks like they were bluffing.

5150Joker, LightsOut41 and exlink like this.
  34. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

nothing lower range and vega2 looks a big card, but if can compete with 2080/2080ti then it would be a partial win.

no reason to upgrade from the 64 though.

35. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

That's not a price drop. Those are cards sitting at the 2080 MSRP.

TheHig, 5150Joker, cageymaru and 2 others like this.
  36. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

No one is dropping a cent until an actual product is on the shelf.

mbelue likes this.
  37. mbelue

mbelue Limp Gawd

Then Radeon 7 price is that much more boneheaded.

38. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

I think going that "chiplet" style design separating the cpu from the IO stuff, AMD could open up their own extra market...why the fk would they not.

That is, be able to deball the IO or the core chip from the interposer (whatever you want to call that base pad)
    then you would be able to keep the "socket" up to date while also being able to update the cores if needed, this can promote AM4 and sockets to come truly can be the first evolving socket, chiplet are probably one of the best ways to make such happen.hell, why not make the "chip" be a modern version of a cartridge style where the board comes with the base socket and IO attached and you "slot in" the chip you will use completing the socket, slap on the provided cooler etc.

Either way at the very least it ensures even tighter control on security, enhancments, firmware etc by decoupling them from each other....I shudder to think memory pricing when DDR5 comes out, DDR4 was "supposedly" much cheaper than 3 to produce, but, most of the memory makers have slowed production down to keep pricing up, DDR5 could allow 4x as much yield at higher speeds etc but this would not matter much if the makers charge 2-3x current pricing, not overly liking the higher CL on DDR5 (from what I have seen)

That is neither here nor there however, pci-e 4.0 might be quite interesting, not that GPU need the extra speed BUT that is not saying something comes that truly can leverage it like NMVE drives or whatever, here is hoping the new boards are going to pay even closer attention to port placement, connectivity, smart placement of fan headers and so forth, and for the love of god, lets make sure they have enogh features such as Bclck external generator, a solid enough VRM for the mobo, nothing worse than the board cooking itself because they cheap out on heatsink/style etc

39. Usual_suspect

Usual_suspect Limp Gawd

I’d take a Vega VII over a 2080 any day now. Considering I’ve used nothing but Nvidia for the longest time up until recently, they burned their bridges with their high pricing, and failure rates. Plus Freesync support, the potential to squeeze more performance from 7nm, along with more VRAM.

I think even with a $700 price tag it might make Nvidia a little uncomfortable considering the only step up they have from that costs roughly 50% more for less than 50% gain in performance. Also, if they come out with a cheaper variant that competes with the 2070 at a few hundred less I think it’ll bring competition back to the market.

Jim Kim likes this.
  40. sirmonkey1985

no they killed the R5 R7 etc branding after they tried it with the radeon 300 series, it didn't end up working the way they wanted it too.

but i'm really hoping they re-think the radeon 7 shit and go with radeon vega II.

Tags: