Watch a Speedrunner Set the Record for Portal Using No Portal

monkeymagick

[H]News
A speedrunner has set the new world record for a non-TAS (tool-assisted speedrun) in Portal without the use of any portals in just 48 minutes and 57 seconds. Going by the name of Icy, the player has over "1300 hours logged into the game, two mice with broken scroll wheels, and wrists that I need to go to the doctor for." Apparently, he used a glitch early in game that allows him to go through the seams of the levels and explore his way around its designs. Pretty cool stuff, especially working around the main gameplay mechanic of the title.

Check out the video (warning language NSFW).

Ah the joys of mute. Useful for many youtube videos like this one. Wonder if Valve will patch the glitch(es)? Not likely though.

Last edited:
The glitch is neat, but the runner is rather dull. A run like this would be neat to see in a GDQ setting where the runner could have backup to help make the run more exciting and informative.

Ah the joys of mute. Useful for many youtube videos like this one. Wonder if Valve will patch the glitch(es)? Not likely though.

I doubt it. Valve games have a lot of glitches speedrunners exploit that have never been patched.

so if glitching is OK for a speed run, why not just noclip through each of the levels?
Because you are not allowed to use cheats in speedruns. Creatively finding ways to glitch through is ok for certain categories of speedruns. There is no other reason; it is categorical.

(I still don't get the appeal of these sort of things)
Yes, and you might never find the appeal of these things. Similary, I don't find the appeal of: watching sports, wood widdling, kite flying, fishing, trolling on forums, homosexual activities, collecting stamps, smoking cigarettes, skateboarding, painting nature peices, the list goes on.... None the less, I understand that people find appeal in these things.

Is he using quick load / quick save to try to get the desired glitch? Is that allowed in speedrunning? I mean saving and loading games multiple times.

Yes, and you might never find the appeal of these things. Similary, I don't find the appeal of: watching sports, wood widdling, kite flying, fishing, trolling on forums, homosexual activities, collecting stamps, smoking cigarettes, skateboarding, painting nature peices, the list goes on.... None the less, I understand that people find appeal in these things.

I can't trust a fella who doesn't like kite flying.

He used a portal at 6:36 to get something to fall from a high wall. Run does not count.

He used a portal at 6:36 to get something to fall from a high wall. Run does not count.
hardocp's summary of it was a little off: He completed the game without going through any portals. He used portals a lot in different parts of the game for different mechanics (including sometimes pulling objects through the portal).

I'm old. I read, "1300 hours logged into the game" and though GOOD LORD WHAT AN EPIC WASTE OF TIME. In 1300 hours, what could you have taught yourself or built? 3.5 hours a day, every day, for a year.

I'm old. I read, "1300 hours logged into the game" and though GOOD LORD WHAT AN EPIC WASTE OF TIME. In 1300 hours, what could you have taught yourself or built? 3.5 hours a day, every day, for a year.

For some runners doing speedruns is how they make money, for others it is just a hobby. You can claim any hobby is "an epic waste of time". We do not need to spend every waking moment of our lives working or doing boring tasks, we are not robots and acting like robots serves no purpose.

While soldering a project or fabricating a part for my car, it can be boring at times, I've still accomplished something. It's only a waste of time if I made a mistake, but then again, I've learned something. I'm not sure what's more robot like than doing a repetitive task like playing the same game level 437 times to get the quickest time...and ultimately serves no purpose. ;)

While soldering a project or fabricating a part for my car, it can be boring at times, I've still accomplished something. It's only a waste of time if I made a mistake, but then again, I've learned something. I'm not sure what's more robot like than doing a repetitive task like playing the same game level 437 times to get the quickest time...and ultimately serves no purpose. ;)

The purpose is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Everyone finds different activities enjoyable and relaxing. You accomplished something that matters to you and you alone. In the grand scheme of things your accomplishment furthers no one but yourself and your own sense of satisfaction in completing something. That is absolutely no different then playing a video game a lot and learning how to do something and trying to master it.

Back