Wasteland 2 first look gameplay

First 2:30 minutes is all voice-acting (which is top-notch by the way) so you can skip ahead for actual gameplay.

http://vimeo.com/59292662

I love that Brian put his money where his mouth was. He said from the beginning that he had the game it was not just vague concepts, He'd been working on ideas for it for years he just needed the development money. His Kickstarter campaign was actually one of the better thought out ones in my opinion. I think He and Tim and the Shadowrun guys have proven that crowdfunding can work. Thankfully that argument is dead not to mention FTL. I actually missed out on funding this one because of a money fluke but I did get in on Shadowgate. I need to go check in and see where that's at.

I am very excited. Not only does the gameplay look like what I was wanting (which is why I backed it) but the visual style is appealing to me too, even at the early state.

So far, I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing.

Can't wait! Thanks OP.

My only nitpick is that the UI is too large, hopefully we will have the ability to shrink it down some, its taking up way too much screen real estate.

This is honestly what I expected (or wanted) Fallout 3 to be like. Awesome.

ill take a look at it when I get home. Im all for backing what Im hearing

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Can't wait! Thanks OP.

My only nitpick is that the UI is too large, hopefully we will have the ability to shrink it down some, its taking up way too much screen real estate.

same here, I'm pretty sure there will be a UI scale option

Are these guys fans of "Super Troopers?" I swear he said "meow" instead of "now" a few times.

One example is at 6:55 or so.

tumblr_lnbrimV0Wn1qiunt7o1_500.jpg

edit: another at 8:50

This is honestly what I expected (or wanted) Fallout 3 to be like. Awesome.

I never played Fallout 2 or 1 before Fallout 3 so I had no expectations when playing Fallout 3 but Fallout 3 on it's own right was a great game, it just wasn't really a Sequel to Fallout 1 or 2 and was really Bethesda's Future Fantasy RPG experience in the Fallout universe. Granted I'm still looking forward to Fallout 4 but Wasteland 2 looks like it's going to be the game that Fallout 3 really should have been in the first place but wasn't due to issues on the publisher's end.

The Vimeo link is down. Here it is on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU

I never played the original Wasteland, but I am HUGE fan of Fallout 1/2, and a lot of the work that Brian Fargo did with Interplay/Blackisle. This game is looking great, and probably one of the few titles I can say I'm really excited about. I like how text based it is and like Fallout 1/2 (and I assume Wasteland) it is very verbose and descriptive. They didn't show it, but I'm hoping that there will be shortcuts to use actions like in Fallout, so you don't have to click the "examine" or "perception" button every time you just want to look at something, as well as an easier way to get to what you're trying to get to in combat.

Minor niggles aside, I like the camera angles, the feel of the game, I like the use of the radio, dialog, setting, and so much of the rest of it! The only other thing I hope is that it has a nice length!

Edit: there is also a 3 part interview with Brian Fargo which I found to be interesting. It was released last month, but some of you might not have caught it. Here is the first vid, you can follow the youtube links to get to the second two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSXErmGJkyk

Last edited:
Will buy when it hits $5 on Steam.

Nice way to encourage quality indie game development?

Of course, if you are not that much of a fan of the genre and just kind of interested, I could understand...

Not saying it is necessarily worth whatever they will charge at full price, but if it is good, only $5?

This and Tides are two of the first kickstarters i have been involved in, and it looks like both are going to be absofuckinglutely amazing games.

Hopefully if Wasteland 2 succeeds as well as i hope (know) it will, then they can make a sequel to that, and so on and so on. I need my post apocalyptic fix, dammit!

The game is ablast. Bought it a few months ago and got Wasteland 1 as well with it as well as the alpha for wasteland 2. The game has been through a few changes but they've all been for the better. The game is looking good.

Of course, if you are not that much of a fan of the genre and just kind of interested, I could understand...

Not saying it is necessarily worth whatever they will charge at full price, but if it is good, only $5?

He's a troll when it comes to Kickstarter/Indie games, don't mind him ;)

The game is ablast. Bought it a few months ago and got Wasteland 1 as well with it as well as the alpha for wasteland 2. The game has been through a few changes but they've all been for the better. The game is looking good

I'm jealous. The pricetag turned me away, even though I loved any and all old Fallout titles (Yes, including the Brotherhood of Steel Iso titles)

I believe it was 59 when I purchased it so not too bad but still considering it was just a proof of concept at the time I can see why their would be hesitancy. However wasteland was and is one of my all time favorites so I am pretty Jonesed for this game to get here already.

I believe it was 59 when I purchased it so not too bad but still considering it was just a proof of concept at the time I can see why their would be hesitancy. However wasteland was and is one of my all time favorites so I am pretty Jonesed for this game to get here already.

Any cool backer perks that came with it? I think I remember something about a ranger badge or something

Honestly I don't remember. I believe I got a ranger badge as that sounds familiar. Mostly I was just excited to play the game.

Here's my rationale for $5; pretty much every single game will eventually end up being $5 on Steam. As consumer I know this to be true, so Steam trained me to wait for a game to hit $5.

I don't have the need to play something at release date. If I were to play the games in my Steam backlog I'd probably have a thousand hours of game time saved up in there. So today I can play something that I bought for $5 and be happy doing it. It may not be Wasteland 2, but I don't have to rush in and play that today, I have time on my side and I'd rather keep the other $55 in my pocket as opposed to paying up $59 for it today.

How indie devs make a living is non of my concern, just as an indie dev doesn't care how I make a living. If that studio closes shop and never finishes Wasteland 2 then to me nothing of value is lost because there are approximately 43720109 other things I can spend my time on that will be entertaining to me.

Kickstarter and Steam's "Early Access" programs run on an appeal to emotion, which is a logical fallacy. Today we live in an economy where investors will readily give you shittons of money for as little as an 8% return if you have a viable business idea. There simply is no need for cyber begging unless your idea is not commercially viable.

Is this game ever going to "Officially" Come out or just be patched until its good enough to call it an Official release?

I played it at a friends house and it was very fun. I'm just not going to pay 60 dollars for a Beta.....again.

It's $60 precisely because it's in the beta phase. Once it's good enough for release they'll lower the price to $30-40. Last ETA for that was around June/July IIRC.

Ive bought plenty of awesome games for $5.

Here's my rationale for $5; pretty much every single game will eventually end up being $5 on Steam. As consumer I know this to be true, so Steam trained me to wait for a game to hit $5.

That is basically part of what I said about being just "kind of interested." Except that appears to apply to all games for you and not just this one, which is perfectly understandable. Fewer and fewer games interest me as well. I got the impression from your original comment that you were saying you were going to wait for this specific game to hit $5, whereas you were willing to pay much higher prices for often inferior-gameplay "AAA" games. But that was a false impression it appears.

Today we live in an economy where investors will readily give you shittons of money for as little as an 8% return if you have a viable business idea. There simply is no need for cyber begging unless your idea is not commercially viable.

I have never participated in a Kickstarter due to financial reasons (even some released games I would like to buy now but cannot afford), but I really do not think this is the case at-large. Most definitely, many kickstarters are not viable (and many of those still reach their goals), and some kickstarters are just quick cash grabs that could have got the investor funding you're talking about. But I do not believe there are very many investors willing to invest in higher-risk niche games that do not appeal to the lowest-common-denominator majority.

Just take a look at mega multi-national corporations in this economy. Their entire businesses are built around the lowest-common-denominator economy with cheap, low quality products/services for everything. They keep piling up cash and will not even take their OWN cash out of their reserves and invest in their OWN businesses with that cash, due to "too much risk."

I don't have the need to play something at release date. If I were to play the games in my Steam backlog I'd probably have a thousand hours of game time saved up in there. So today I can play something that I bought for $5 and be happy doing it. It may not be Wasteland 2, but I don't have to rush in and play that today, I have time on my side and I'd rather keep the other $55 in my pocket as opposed to paying up $59 for it today.

How indie devs make a living is non of my concern, just as an indie dev doesn't care how I make a living. If that studio closes shop and never finishes Wasteland 2 then to me nothing of value is lost because there are approximately 43720109 other things I can spend my time on that will be entertaining to me.

Kickstarter and Steam's "Early Access" programs run on an appeal to emotion, which is a logical fallacy. Today we live in an economy where investors will readily give you shittons of money for as little as an 8% return if you have a viable business idea. There simply is no need for cyber begging unless your idea is not commercially viable.

It's not a indie thread unless Thuleman compares Kickstarter to Cyber begging in it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Looking forward to the release of this game. I read today that they're going to announce the release date by EOM.

Unfortunately I've got too much of a backlog to get it any sooner - $60 for an unfinished game is a little rough, especially since I've read a few accounts that the length of the campaign is only 6-7 hours.

especially since I've read a few accounts that the length of the campaign is only 6-7 hours.
6-7 hours for the current state of the game. It'll be more like 20-35 hours when it's finished.

6-7 hours for the current state of the game. It'll be more like 20-35 hours when it's finished.

Interesting. So is the current prelease version a $60 demo with access to only a fraction of the content that's already finished - and they're holding back the rest of the content for the release, or do they plan to create that much more content before the game's release? Seems like quite a jump so I'm wondering where all those extra hours of gameplay are hiding.

That's only the beta length as its only a part of the game. The early access length should get longer the closer they get to full release as they open up more parts of the game. They've said "the full game will likely take the average new player around 50 hours on a normal playthrough."

Edit: Also, they've mentioned the physical size of the game so far is 23GB.

Last edited:
That's only the beta length as its only a part of the game. The early access length should get longer the closer they get to full release as they open up more parts of the game. They've said "the full game will likely take the average new player around 50 hours on a normal playthrough."

Edit: Also, they've mentioned the physical size of the game so far is 23GB.

This.

The price of the game may go down at full release as well, if I remember correctly.

Back