Washed my hands of Shuttle due to thier problems. How many others?

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
Due to the impossible memory compatibility issues with my now sold Shittle SN95G5 I'll never touch another Shittle again.

Just kinda currious how many others washed thier hands of Shuttle and are you happier with a normal mAtx SFF system?

I'm getting ready to build a Q-Pack system ( V1 with the plastic front, no ESD issues that way : ) using a 790GX mobo and 5050E cpu and I think I'ma be happier for it.

There are a few Shuttle models that caused me some major headaches - ST20G5 was the worst and I know there were like 3 different revisions of SN95G5, depending on which one you had I can sympathize!

I have tried just about every high end mATX case and the best performing MB's and find that I still gravitate back to Shuttle as they have the smallest footprint and can be the quietest running with similar performance to the best mATX systems and even full sized ATX.

These were the best Shuttle models that I have owned in recent years with no issues: SN25P, SN26P, SN21G5, SD32G2, SX58H7

Still have the trusty old SN25P for my step son to use and the SD32G2 has been my main rig for two years with an OC'd E4400 @3.0ghz and different High end video cards (8800GTX, GTX 280, GTX 295)

At work we have my old SN21G5, and a SD37P2 and K48 as VM servers and have had no issues with any of them.

I previously owned an SG33G5 which was perfectly except for the more extreme things I wanted to with it. Overclocking was a big no-no, the motherboard didn't offer much OC-functions and finding propper cooling was hard enough. Putting in a more decent videocard (the bigger ones) requires to chop holes in the side and add an extra PSU which needs to go outside or the optical drive needs to be outside.

That's why I know have the setup in my sig.

When the SN25P was new I built two and both had issues a couple of months ago and were scrapped.

At the time I was looking for something small for the office a few years ago and luckily the SG-01 series came out. Since then I've built 14 silver SG-01's as workstations and a black one for myself at home.

I have owned:

SB61G2V1
SB61G2V3
ST20G5
SN25P
SG35G5M

Got tired of having to pay for a new case and PSU everytime I wanted to upgrade and so I moved on to a mATX system. Haven't looked back since.

Oh and the ST20G5 was possibly the worst PC I had ever owned.

Still rocking my ST20G5 - easily the best PC I've ever owned (which, granted, is a list only a dozen or so entries long if you only count "performance/gamer" PCs). My primary box to this day, actually, more than 3 years since I've got it, which also makes it my longest-running system I've ever had.

Only factors to consider are:
  • You aren't going to get a 20% overclock on it. You aren't going to get a 15% overclock on it. Don't try. Shuttles aren't generally for overclocking in the first place, and ESPECIALLY not this model. Count yourself extraordinarily lucky if you get 10%. This system is, instead, for rock-solid stability at stock clocks.
  • Put QUALITY ram in it. The Shuttle systems (especially this one) hate cheap ram. I'm using OCZ Platinum, and it's rock-solid. (2gb clocked at DDR533 CL3-3-2-8)
  • Pay attention to your power usage. The XPC power supply is tremendously high quality for its size, but even then - there is only so much you can do with 240w. AMD Socket 939 X2 CPU (110w) + modern midrange graphics card (110w) + ram/optical drive/hard drive/mobo = failboat.

...and though I can't afford to upgrade at the MOMENT (damn economy!), I keep spec'ing out new systems using Shuttle 'barebones' systems as the start.

So you could say I've not "washed my hands" of Shuttle. Indeed, I've built systems for a few coworkers that they happily swear by that are all Shuttle systems, too. Something about the very small footprint, very small power consumption, and serious quietness that is just REALLY attractive for the amount of power they have. For business users, they totally rock.

Most people here washed there hands of shuttle boards years ago and the next board people ditched were the esc boards.

Just about ready to get rid of my current SN25P. I want a little more room with more power and flexibility options since I like to tinker too much. However, this puppy took a beating. Bent frame, one dead ram slot, choppyness in most games do to defective onboard sound, and a capital R in the "veRifying DMI whatever......" during boot up makes me think the BIOS is acting silly. Time for mATX goodness with the stuff in my sig :cool:

I still have a couple Shuttles, they have treated me decent so far.

Currently on a SB61G2, and game with a SD31P.

the MOB in this machine has a bad fan controller, so fan is always on high, and front headphone jack is a little staticy, besides that i have no complaints.

My SD31P has poor sound insulation, I have two raptors sitting on top of the rest of the rig, and they are as loud as a hard drive could be. and also have a x1800 which isn't the quietest thing either, especially when its next to my head as I currently have things set up.

Though, overall, I really can't complain about my SD31P. I'm not saying shuttles are the best computers, but I would consider myself a nerd, and computer proficient, and like my two shuttles I have.

The A Man

A qpack doesn't have a much larger footprint and there are way more upgrade options like quad-core without having to post " Will this CPU work with this specific Shittle? ".

Back