Wasabi Mango UHD420 42" IPS 4k Monitor w/ Freesync *Pixel Perfect*- $679

I just spent $100 more for a Crossover 434K yesterday. This seems like pretty good deal.

Man, this is so tempting.... but I just worry about quality and longevity. I'm sure if it goes tits up in a few months you'll be shit outta luck for support and/or service.

But it sure seems like these Korean monitors are the only semi-affordable source for a large format 4K 60hz display that offers HDMI 2.0 with true 60hz and 4:4:4 chroma support.

Man, this is so tempting.... but I just worry about quality and longevity. I'm sure if it goes tits up in a few months you'll be shit outta luck for support and/or service.

But it sure seems like these Korean monitors are the only semi-affordable source for a large format 4K 60hz display that offers HDMI 2.0 with true 60hz and 4:4:4 chroma support.

yea i got my Dell 27 in 60hz IPS 4k for 500 but man is it small at that res. You really need a 32 in 4k screen. It is like the perfect size i bet.

Kinda lame that the review didn't show one bit of game play on it.

Kinda lame that the review didn't show one bit of game play on it.

assume every blurry. I thought my u2412ms were annoying to play on but my dell whatever (u2715q?) is really slow. I tolerate it because no good screen are out that i can afford. I wont touch TN with a 10 foot pole

how does wasabi brand compare to the big 3? is there any content for 4k yet?

Get a square trade warranty

I wish FreeSync could do 3D too (GSync can). I like it much better, especially since AMD donated it to VESA & it's now a freestandard (it was already a much cheaper to produce system). There's not really any reason it can't do 3d, other than that no one's bothered to futz around with shutter glasses to make it work.

I know 3d is not really a daily use tech, but sometimes it's fun to put on. And it can be very interesting for visualizations- 3d environments outside gaming.

I brought this monitor not too long ago (3-6 weeks ago). I'll ramble a bit about this monitor.

Some backstory:
For the longest of time now I have been a multi monitor kind of guy. I had 3 Samsung 27" monitors (cannot remember the model #) then went to 3 Qnix 2710 overclocked to 110hz now using this Wasabi Mango + 2 Qnix 2710's.

I brought it from Ebay the perfect pixel version which for the most part I cant complain though it is not perfect. My screen has no dead pixels but only problem I have is that the stand when screwed on tilts the monitor towards you slightly rather than standing straight up. Originally put on the stand the wrong way so I switched it around and it was the same thing. In order for me to get the monitor to stand straight up I need to place a bottle cap (soda bottle) under the metal stand. Yes I could return it but then I'd have to play the roulette game of getting a perfect monitor + wait time and I don't want to bother with those things. for me its a small issue. Now again I came from 3 27 Qnix 110 hz monitors so for me this was a HUGE Difference! Gaming on 3 27" can only be done with certain games... Yes to Simulators, Yes to RPG's, Possibly to Action Games, Not Recommended for FPS or Competitive games. so for me and for anyone who uses multi-monitor for game play I would recommend this as the perfect balance for wanting a bigger single screen but not too overly big as 3 monitors. The stock Display Port Cable that this monitor came with was not good enough to play games at 4k at 60hz I would get very very very noticeable screen lag when playing competitive games like League of Legends and Unreal Tournament. So I replaced it with Monoprice DisplayPort cable which removed the lag issues. If you thinking about purchasing this and currently have a higher refresh rate monitor be prepared you will notice a difference in game play. I used to think it wasn't a big deal before I got this monitor but that refresh rate downgrade did hit me. After a while though I got used it.

Another thing to point out is that even though I was using 27" for a while I thought this monitor was waaaay too big when I first got it. For me I felt that gaming on this was playing mental tricks on me as where I felt I had to move my mouse a bit more than usual to get the cursor to where I wanted when playing games. after about a week/2 weeks I broke out of this mental state and got used to it. Just a fair warning the size is a bit intimidating and some people at first might say its too big. Now something important to point out. 4k! Are we ready for 4k? I've had this for a while and while I will say games and movies and pictures look sharper, clearer & more amazing I cant say 100% that I recommend this yet. text readability is the problem. I use my PC for a bit of productivity. Photoshop work well with its HiDPI setting as well Microsoft Office but there are programs that just has no answer to this yet. Everything of Autodesk does not work well with HI DPI (I've searched their forums). I use Autodesk 3DS Max and I find text to be too small or barely readable and for long period use this will be bad for your eyes. Windows 10 (which is what I have) does not scale all programs and games properly. I have also found some games with the same problem as well. I recently brought H1Z1 and tried to play it on 4k only to find it unplayable with such small fonts. If your playing a FPS game or a game that has little to no reading in it you might be fine. If your playing a game that has a lot of reading in it (any MMORPG) you may want to check their forums to see if the game is readable at 4k. Also to consider that a scaled 4k is less pixels so keep that in mind if you really need to scale will it be better than your current monitor. On a final note I said I still use 2 Qnix's. I don't have a television/cable got rid of it ages ago and I find myself watching Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc.., on one monitor while gaming on another and doing some web browsing on third most of the times. with the Qnix I feel like I don't use the 3rd monitor as much anymore. I will always have 1 monitor still playing movies but I feel like I can get rid of the 3rd or maybe even just do with this 1 monitor.

Bottom line its an awesome buy for entertainment purposes. Productivity is spacious but readability on certain things is something you have to be wary of. Even with windows scaling.

Last edited:
I went through the overclock thread and I believe an important point that should be very apparent is that the back light does not seem to extend all the way to the edges so ~19px all around will "disappear" when viewing at an angle.

So far I've seen two people on the OC thread mention it but not sure if it applies to all the displays but if anyone's interested in this, I would recommend more research.

I went through the overclock thread and I believe an important point that should be very apparent is that the back light does not seem to extend all the way to the edges so ~19px all around will "disappear" when viewing at an angle.

So far I've seen two people on the OC thread mention it but not sure if it applies to all the displays but if anyone's interested in this, I would recommend more research.

That's weird. Any comment on this shatterstar? I'm seriously considering a couple of these but that might turn me off.

After reading about the quality issues. Nope!..

Gonna wait for something that isn't a compromise in quality. $700 bucks is still alot of money to drop either way.

Please disregard all my post in this thread. At work I when I read this I was thinking this was my monitor and once you started talking about light bleeding I was really stumped as I don't ever recall seeing light bleed on my monitor. :confused: and then it hit me. I looked at the monitor review link and realized that wasn't the monitor I ordered! I ended up getting the Crossover 404k VA panel.

Sorry guys... Very embarrassing not remembering what monitor you got. :eek:

I did extensive researched reading 60+ pages on the Mango the Crossover and AHM 40" 4k and went with Crossover because it was cheaper and no back light bleed.

If it's worth anything digitalforce of overclock.net purchased and tested multiple 4k 39-42" Korean monitors. Shoot him a PM as to why he went with what monitor he chose.

Again really sorry for misunderstanding. :(

Last edited:
Please disregard all my post in this thread. At work I when I read this I was thinking this was my monitor and once you started talking about light bleeding I was really stumped as I don't ever recall seeing light bleed on my monitor. :confused: and then it hit me. I looked at the monitor review link and realized that wasn't the monitor I ordered! I ended up getting the Crossover 404k VA panel.

Sorry guys... Very embarrassing not remembering what monitor you got. :eek:

I did extensive researched reading 60+ pages on the Mango the Crossover and AHM 40" 4k and went with Crossover because it was cheaper and no back light bleed.

If it's worth anything digitalforce of overclock.net purchased and tested multiple 4k 39-42" Korean monitors. Shoot him a PM as to why he went with what monitor he chose.

Again really sorry for misunderstanding. :(

Actually I was looking at the 404k also. Can you see if it has the same back-light edge problem?

Any other feedback on the display you got?

no back light bleed on the 404k. there are newer versions (slgihtly bigger) 494k and 434k the 494k like the Wasabi mango supports AMD Freesync if u got AMD card. 434 coming soon but I did not do research into weather or not the 404 will get it.

Your concerns though of back light bleed is something that is part of the Korean monitor roulette. These Monitors are advertised as perfect pixel but the bottom line is they are A- and below rated panels. Things like back light bleed, dead pixels, stuck pixels, unusual refresh rate lag and such can happen to any of these Korean monitors. You either play the game of roulette and hope for the best or go with a more known brand name that has a A and A+ panel rating. Its really just luck but do stick with the perfect pixel one if you decide to buy I believe there is less of a chance of getting dead pixels.

As for other feedback what are you looking for/want to know?

how does wasabi brand compare to the big 3? is there any content for 4k yet?

It has an LG AH-IPS panel and 4k content = pc games. Pc gamers are the ones reveling in the glory of 4k

My 494k has no dead/stuck pixels and has the least amount of backlight bleed I've ever seen on an ips. Maybe I just got a gem I also don't have the edge lighting issue. The reason I went with crossover in the first place (WM has an equivalent) is because WM has that thick silver bezel. Crossover has a very very thin black bezel when using it looks like it doesn't have one

I brought this monitor not too long ago (3-6 weeks ago). I'll ramble a bit about this monitor.

Some backstory:
For the longest of time now I have been a multi monitor kind of guy. I had 3 Samsung 27" monitors (cannot remember the model #) then went to 3 Qnix 2710 overclocked to 110hz now using this Wasabi Mango + 2 Qnix 2710's.

I brought it from Ebay the perfect pixel version which for the most part I cant complain though it is not perfect. My screen has dead pixels but only problem I have is that the stand when screwed on tilts the monitor towards you slightly rather than standing straight up. Originally put on the stand the wrong way so I switched it around and it was the same thing. In order for me to get the monitor to stand straight up I need to place a bottle cap (soda bottle) under the metal stand. Yes I could return it but then I'd have to play the roulette game of getting a perfect monitor + wait time and I don't want to bother with those things. for me its a small issue. Now again I came from 3 27 Qnix 110 hz monitors so for me this was a HUGE Difference! Gaming on 3 27" can only be done with certain games... Yes to Simulators, Yes to RPG's, Possibly to Action Games, Not Recommended for FPS or Competitive games. so for me and for anyone who uses multi-monitor for game play I would recommend this as the perfect balance for wanting a bigger single screen but not too overly big as 3 monitors. The stock Display Port Cable that this monitor came with was not good enough to play games at 4k at 60hz I would get very very very noticeable screen lag when playing competitive games like League of Legends and Unreal Tournament. So I replaced it with Monoprice DisplayPort cable which removed the lag issues. If you thinking about purchasing this and currently have a higher refresh rate monitor be prepared you will notice a difference in game play. I used to think it wasn't a big deal before I got this monitor but that refresh rate downgrade did hit me. After a while though I got used it. Another thing to point out is that even though I was using 27" for a while I thought this monitor was waaaay too big when I first got it. For me I felt that gaming on this was playing mental tricks on me as where I felt I had to move my mouse a bit more than usual to get the cursor to where I wanted when playing games. after about a week/2 weeks I broke out of this metal state and got used to it. Just a fair warning the size is a bit intimidating and some people at first might say its too big. Now something important to point out. 4k! Are we ready for 4k? I've had this for a while and while I will say games and movies and pictures look sharper, clearer & more amazing I cant say 100% that I recommend this yet. text readability is the problem. I use my PC for a bit of productivity. Photoshop work well with its HiDPI setting as well Microsoft Office but there are programs that just has no answer to this yet. Everything of Autodesk does not work well with HI DPI (I've searched their forums). I use Autodesk 3DS Max and I find text to be too small or barely readable and for long period use this will be bad for your eyes. Windows 10 (which is what I have) does not scale all programs and games properly. I have also found some games with the same problem as well. I recently brought H1Z1 and tried to play it on 4k only to find it unplayable with such small fonts. If your playing a FPS game or a game that has little to no reading in it you might be fine. If your playing a game that has a lot of reading in it (any MMORPG) you may want to check their forums to see if the game is readable at 4k. Also to consider that a scaled 4k is less pixels so keep that in mind if you really need to scale will it be better than your current monitor. On a final note I said I still use 2 Qnix's. I don't have a television/cable got rid of it ages ago and I find myself watching Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc.., on one monitor while gaming on another and doing some web browsing on third most of the times. with the Qnix I feel like I don't use the 3rd monitor as much anymore. I will always have 1 monitor still playing movies but I feel like I can get rid of the 3rd or maybe even just do with this 1 monitor.

Bottom line its an awesome buy for entertainment purposes. Productivity is spacious but readability on certain things is something you have to be wary of. Even with windows scaling.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this monitor but is there anyway you could put some paragraphs in there? It will make it a lot easier to read without having my head explode.

Back