Wasabi Mango 43" 4K 120hz

https://gigglehd.com/gg/review/2861985

Hm, interesting. So it is only 1 DP 1.4 port to get 4K 120 Hz, hence at 8-bit. So it is not using MST mode, as it is limited to 96 Hz in HDR (10-bit) mode.
Also of note is the input lag numbers averaged around 35ms, but that isn't taking into account any input lag to the laptop screen. So it could be higher. That was taken using the HDMI 2.0 port though, so it may be a hair faster at 120 Hz.

Tempted to try one of these. Don't know if I want to be the first though, ha.

I have the 40" 4K/60hz Wasabi Mango from a few years ago, and never had any problems with it.. FWIW.

1400 USD is too expensive for an Korean import.
Also the review says it costs "only" 990.000 Won in Korea, which is ca. 916 USD.
So pricewise youre getting screwed on ebay.
Also the the huge tax to import it to europe, that i would have to pay...

Anyway, its nice to see that there is finally some innovation in 43'' 100+Hz area. Hope the other companies will follow suit.

AUO announced 43'' panels with 144Hz a few days ago as well. Though its VA with only 400 cd/m2:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/39.htm#panels_auo

Samsung is also planning a few Quasimodo sized VAs (43.4'', 49'') with higher refreshrate:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/39.htm#panels_samsung

Last edited:
From the Gigglehd review, here is the screenshot of the display settings on the UFO test:

9df4ee191d4040dfaed8b82aef5f44ff.png

And here is a photo of the sub-pixel array (looks RGB):

e7b916afca3da1debfe4121a677d56f8.jpg

And the spec sheet:

UqzM1M8.png

Do my eyes deceive me? A 4K120, RGB, 10-bit AH-IPS panel at $1000-1500...are those new $2500+ Asus/Acer displays DoA? :)

Last edited:
No they are not DOA. In fact pre orders from Newegg have sold out in a single day. It is not $2500 and offers gsync+better HDR.

400 nit edge lit isn't HDR at all.

It's also only 1000:1 contrast ratio which is probably 1/3 the black depth of a modern non FALD gaming VA. FALD probably improves each by 30% or more.

Not gsync or VRR isn't a premium gaming monitor at this point either.

Last edited:
So these are available for 1k now, what's the consensus on them? Is this still the only option for 4k 120hz at a 40"+ size? At this point ill probably wait for CES to see what bfgd brings but if those are going to be 65" and over 4 grand not going to bother with them.

Not gsync or VRR isn't a premium gaming monitor at this point either.

No G-Sync is the real deal-breaker. AMD and thus FreeSync is out of the question performance wise.

I wonder what Nvidia told Wasabi when they asked if they could purchase G-Sync modules for these...

400 nit edge lit isn't HDR at all.

On this: there's the ability to display HDR- which everything except an OLED sucks at, and they just suck less at it, given their brightness limitations- and then there's the ability to handle HDR, which the Mango has. Can't really say if that's better than leaving it off, though, especially with how poor support for HDR is on the desktop.

So as a generic gaming monitor for BO4 4k 120hz with a 2080ti would this be decent? Right now all settings ultra 4k60 the card isnt fully taxed and stays pegged at 60fps with vsync. Wouldn't mind if I had to drop the settings slightly to keep the high frame rate, but thinking one of these might be decent until some 4k 120hz oleds are available in a year or two.

So as a generic gaming monitor for BO4 4k 120hz with a 2080ti would this be decent? Right now all settings ultra 4k60 the card isnt fully taxed and stays pegged at 60fps with vsync. Wouldn't mind if I had to drop the settings slightly to keep the high frame rate, but thinking one of these might be decent until some 4k 120hz oleds are available in a year or two.

Tough argument.

I personally won't go without a VRR monitor for a primary gaming rig- but that's me.

Main thing I've heard with BO4 (won't be playing) is that it's twitchy-ish, so response times matter, and that means tearing on the Mango because V-Sync adds lag, so you wouldn't want to turn that on.

Yeah other option is to go with a 55in oled that does 1080p 120hz or 4k60. Colors would be way better but would be a little worried about burn in vs my old 50" samsung.

Yeah other option is to go with a 55in oled that does 1080p 120hz or 4k60. Colors would be way better but would be a little worried about burn in vs my old 50" samsung.

Eh, I'd only recommend buying an OLED cheap (what I did). You know they're going to burn in and essentially are disposable, no matter how much you spend- LG B8 versus top-end Sony, etc. All LG panels, all will burn.

Yeah the c8 on massdrop is pretty tempting.

These are currently $1179 (including $100 off coupon) on Amazon right now if anyone is interested.

These are currently $1179 (including $100 off coupon) on Amazon right now if anyone is interested.
They want too much for it. Resellers on eBay are selling it for $200 less. Worth the risk to save the $200. If it was the same price through Amazon I'd probably buy it just because it's Prime.

Freesync enabled for these yet? Now that Nvidia is going to add Freesync support these will be a really good match for it.

It appears the Asus XG438Q will use the same panel and offer Freesync 2. Probably cost 2x as much tho.

I guess we can abandon the idea of getting Freesync on these? Oh well, I guess I'll wait for the Asus ROG 43" and hope that isn't priced out of my limit (I would guess it will be).

I guess we can abandon the idea of getting Freesync on these? Oh well, I guess I'll wait for the Asus ROG 43" and hope that isn't priced out of my limit (I would guess it will be).

I read $1600 in another thread, but we'll see.

Back