Was the 2012 Macbook Pro the last one with upgradeable ram?

I keep looking for a used one but they are silly with 4 or 8gb and I need to virtualize my win7 machine in it as I have one work program that will only run on a pc.

2012. You're looking for a fatbook non-Retina MBP.

Or you could buy a newer one with 16GB. If you decide to go that route, I would recommend a late 2013 MBPr or later (there is an early 2013 MBPr as well, so beware).
The late has a PCI-E SSD and substantial improvements to the graphics card. It was at this point that the Intel Iris graphics became decent. Especially in the 15" with the Iris Pro.

Thanks in the used market I see a lot of 8gb models. I want retina with 16gb but from what I read the 2013 retina is soldered?

Thanks in the used market I see a lot of 8gb models. I want retina with 16gb but from what I read the 2013 retina is soldered?

It is. I'm just saying there are quite a few in the second hand market with 16GB. It was the route I personally ended up going. But you have to figure out what is right for you. The big cost of course is if you want an HDD bigger than 256GB. Although upgradeable, going to OWC or eBay for a larger size is rough.

I have a 2013 Late MBPr with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB HD. I've found since I have to use externals for work anyway (the HD's have to be passed between the laptop and a desktop) that the size of the HD didn't matter as much. 256GB is plenty for literally just work apps and OS (I still generally have 40-80GB of space free). The storage only becomes necessary if you want multiple OS's or want to install games, or need the HD to hold media.

Last edited:
Back