Was streaming with Xbox 360, what is cheapest alternative?

Defc0n 6

Gawd
Hi all,
I really am ignorant when it comes to HTPC, and I was absolutely amazed/ecstatic when I realized I could wirelessly stream videos to the TV using my Xbox 360. Anyhow, today it died and it will probally be about a month before its working again but I'd like to be able to still stream if there is a cheap option?

Can I somehow do it with just my network?

Can Blu Ray players do it?

Thanks for your time and input!

For 199 its just better to grab another X360 Arcade unit.

This isn't a bad option. Hell you could always sell it once you get your main one back and recover a good bit of the cost. That or just keep it as a spare.

Guess I'm just gonna have to pass on streaming for a while if another Xbox is the cheapest option but thanks for the responses!

what kind of videos are you streaming (HD? encoding?) if its dvd rips i would say go with a used xbox 1 and softmod it with xbmc.

I'd recommend the Asus O!play network streamer, i bought mine for 100 euros, and it streams just about everything, codec support is way beyond the xbox 360. On top of that you dont need the whole windows media extender hoopla, just about any samba share (windows network shared folder, or linux samba server) will do for the source.

it still isnt exactly ultra-cheap, but todays network streamers really work nicely, i had been thinking of getting one for ages before i actually got one, and once i had it, i kept hitting myself over the head 'why didnt i buy this thing half a year ago'

$100 get's a WD TV Live. I got one and am very pleased with it. I use it for the kids room to access videos off my Media tank. I use an Xbox 360 as an extender for the living room. The interface is basic and not as slick as MC or even XBMC flavors, but it's intuitive enough to get the job done and start streaming. I purchased a wireless adapter for it and need to upgrade my router to support N cause it will start stuttering if my connection is noisy; I'm doing full VOB streams.

Back