Was messing around with iperf and noticed something weird in pfsense

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I was bored and wanted to see what kind of sustained speeds I can get between various hosts so I transfered 100GB between two vlans using iperf.

Code:
[root@vpnsrv ~]# iperf -c borg.loc -n 100G
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to borg.loc, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 19.3 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 10.5.1.5 port 60875 connected with 10.1.1.10 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-1003.6 sec    100 GBytes    856 Mbits/sec

But then look at the graph, it's saying I only transferred 10GB?

Why is that? I tend to rely on those stats to get an idea of my internet usage, not that it matters much since my ISP is unlimited, but I expect stats to actually be real. This is WAY off. Anyone else ever notice this?

are you sure that -n 100G works?

-n, --bytes n[KM]
number of bytes to transmit (instead of -t)

try using -n 100000M

It does say that it transferred that much though, and the time it took was fairly on par for a gigabit network and the speed shown. I will have to experiment again with an actual file transfer.

Yeah definitely some oddity going on, I just tested with an actual file transfer via HTTP. Server the 10GB (randomly generated from /dev/urandom to rule out any kind of caching) file was hosted on is on a different vlan so the traffic is going through firewall. I can see the graph spike accordingly for that vlan's interface, well both vlans involved, but the value of actual data transfer does not reflect what was transferred. Am I maybe reading that wrong and that number means something else?

Can anyone with pfsense confirm this behaviour? I'm just wondering if it's by design or something wrong with my install.

Back