Was going to get a MAC PRO for FCP but now it looks like hte new MBP is where its at.

Agent Orange 615

[H]ard|Gawd
I just started running a film crew iwith friends from work, and Im an awful camera man so Im taking the editing upon me. Id probably prefer another program, but anyone familiar with NYC knows that everyone and their mother uses FCP, so using it makes life a lot easier.

For a long time ive been contemplating and budgeting for a Mac Pro, but now it seems that The new books are amazing. Not to mention being able to work on the road and not just at home in the office. Im not a big mac guy, love em, use an Imac...but Id like to know if this is going to handle 10-20 minute projects? Not in HD, just NTSC.

This is a big investment so Id like to be able to get the job done.

Thanks!

I think the macbook pro would work very well for you. on the road editing is good, and the new mmp's are very powerful.

you have an imac? if u do, why not just use it? itll put out damn near the performance of a MBP

I have a last rev 2.16ghz macbook pro and final cut pro runs fine, faster than the dual powermac g5's that they had at my school before I graduated. At work I edit on a quad core mac pro with 4 gigs of ram and I have no problem jumping on my mbp with 2gigs to edit, sure it's not as screaming as the mac pro but it works well enough. Granted I haven't tried studio 2 on either system yet, but final cut itself won't differ to much from 5-6, if anything it may run better.
The newest rev mbp should be plenty enough to throw the new final cut studio 2 at it, especially if you aren't working in HD.

If you think you might be working with HD footage anytime in the future, I'd strongly recommend considering the 1920x1200 screen upgrade for the 17" MBP. It's only $100 more and you'll have the ability to do full screen HD editing at native res.

The new Mac Book Pro's will crank with Final Cut, and the other apps in Final Cut studio for that matter.

Pair one up with a good external firewire drive and you'll be good to go.

I'm considering doing the same thing as well. A shiny new MBP would replace my current Macbook and Dual 1.8 G5.

Back