Was given some 10Gb/16Gb FC Cards...

FireBean

Gawd
I have to check with some of you if there is any practical use for something like this in a home environment.

Recently, a friend needed to offload some inventory as the company he worked for was making some upgrades and the owners just wanted to recycle all left over parts.

I was given a pair of QLE8362 Cards. I was checking some prices online and I'm seeing that they going for around $400 each. How can this be true? Did this friend not really know what these were? If this is what they are truly worth, I don't feel right accepting them....

I have to check with some of you if there is any practical use for something like this in a home environment.

Recently, a friend needed to offload some inventory as the company he worked for was making some upgrades and the owners just wanted to recycle all left over parts.

I was given a pair of QLE8362 Cards. I was checking some prices online and I'm seeing that they going for around $400 each. How can this be true? Did this friend not really know what these were? If this is what they are truly worth, I don't feel right accepting them....

If you're worried about accepting them due to their value then mention it to your friend that his company could recoup some costs by reselling them then see where the conversation goes from there.

It's a CNA, Converged Network Adapter. Meaning it does FC and FCoE (FC over Ethernet) as well as plain-jane Ethernet. Got a pair of boxes you want to link together at 10Gbs? Well now you can.

Do you have a NAS? Do you have a NAS that includes drivers for these cards?

I use fiber channel at work all the time. I don't use it at home. My home needs are well more than served by the cheap 10gb ethernet cards you can pick up for $15 these days.

if you can use them at home, do. if not, sell them. a lot of times when large purchases are made in server environments there are extra parts that don't get implemented. honestly it would end up on a shelf forever or worse, straight into the trash. the absolute worst place i ever worked for was a community college. though i did have a second income dumpster diving the stuff and selling it off.

Solid cards, but the switch hardware to run them at home might be cost prohibitive. Ebay them.

Back