Was finally able to order the Corsair 16 pin connector

I’m still waiting for the white premium individually sleeved one to come back in stock. I just missed it the last time.

Our local chain (Central Conputer) had a bunch in stock so I picked one up. Unfortunately no 4090s to be had to use it with :(

Piles of 4080s sitting on shelves and they’re already starting up bundle deals on 4080 cards.

As big a company as Corsair is, and as many PSUs they sell, there is no excuse for them not having these in stock on day one of the 4090 launch.

Normally i love being on frontier of tech, but this time, im going wait year let things mature up. then build next system next year or in 2024.

Thank you all for testing new tech this time for me!

Odd it's been in stock every time I checked after the 2nd. ???

It don't quite look as nice as the pic on their site. It's two 4 wire cables not one 8 and it has the extra little data wire flopping around that makes it awkward to run. Still better than the 4, 8 pin cables I was using.

At the price they ask for the cards it seems like there should be a right angle connection included also.

1670889221961.png

Last edited:
Stupid question: how can this supply the same power as the 4x PCIe cable?

Thank you for asking that. I have the same question as it relates to my EVGA 3090 Ti...since this is when all this "stuff" actually started happening. My card came packaged with a 3x8 to 12 (sense not used) cable and an EVGA PerFE 12 Cable was thrown in with the deal...which is 2x8 to 12...(actually 2x6 to 12 as 2 pins each are not used on the PSU side connectors). Currently I'm still using the 3x8 to 12 pigtail, but I do not have this new box up and online 100% yet as I'm still loading s/w and moving personal files over. It did post, has been loaded with WIN11 and updated bios and drivers. So, how does 6x2 to 12 put out the same power as 3x8 to 12, or as asked above 4x8 to 16.

Last edited:
Stupid question: how can this supply the same power as the 4x PCIe cable?

The 150w per PCI-e connector is a baseline requirement that Nvidia/AMD use that to ensure the widest compatibility with their GPUs. The idea being that if a user has a cheaper quality PSU, the GPU won't draw more power than the PSU can supply. In reality, a lot of the quality PSU manufacturers, such as Seasonic and Corsair, easily handle more power. In the case of Corsair, I believe all of their Type 4 PSUs can supply 300 watts per PCI-e connector. Hence, their 12VHPWR can function with two cables only.

So my direct and respectful question then is...Why do they have 2, 3 and 4 PCIe to 12 pin plug harnesses...if they all provide the same power? I am using the AX1600i.

So my direct and respectful question then is...Why do they have 2, 3 and 4 PCIe to 12 pin plug harnesses...if they all provide the same power? I am using the AX1600i.
Mainly redundancy, but all PSUs have different power tolerances on the PSU end of the PCIe power cable. Most handle 225w fine as they usually have an 8 pin (150w) and a 6 ping (75w) daisy chained on one cable. So 3x200w per PSU connector is a safe bet. Some have 4 for redundancy. Corsair knows their PSU can handle 300w per PSU connector so they only have 2 PSU side 8 pin connectors.

Cablemod tested their cables with 3 connectors and say there is no performance difference between it and the 4 connector version but they offer both versions anyway.

Was able to snag one of these myself, but don't have a use for it at the moment. Nice to have on hand though.

Any tips on identifying if your power supply is compatible with that cable? I have an older one: AX850 They have a compatibility page, but I am unable to decipher it: PSU CABLE COMPATIBILITY
Not a fan of the compatibility page. They need to revamp it. I just ended up emailing them to be sure. I think they said something about if your PSU was type 4 you are all good but then they say "Disclaimer: The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables is the pinout of the 24-pin ATX cable; all other cables (SATA, PCIe, etc) are the same."

Back