Was dual booting XP and Vista - uninstalled XP and now "bootmgr is missing"

pdawg17

Limp Gawd
I had XP and Vista dual booting on one hard drive...I formatted the XP partition and merged the free space with Vista....when I rebooted I got the "BOOTMGR is missing" error...I then booted with the Vista DVD and selected to repair but it says it can't find anything wrong and tells me to reboot...is there anything I can do?

Reload if repair wont work. When you Formatted the XP partition you removed the Vista boot mgr.

You mean I have to reformat? There's no way to create a new boot file with the Vista dvd or anything?

This SHOULD fix your problem.....

1. Boot to the Vista installation DVD.
2. Select Repair Your Computer
3. From the system recovery options menu, select Command Prompt
4. From the command prompt, run "bootrec /fixboot" (no quotes), which will re-write the Windows Vista boot sector code.
5. Exit command prompt and reboot the system.

Good luck

That didn't work but does it help to know that if I have the Vista dvd in the drive then I can load up Windows fine?

If that didnt do the trick, use the same bootrec command, but with /RebuildBcd after it instead.

so "Bootrec /RebuildBcd "

-Chris

I'm about to have this same problem,

I had xp installed on one drive, then installed vista on a second drive. Now, I want to format the xp drive, but I'd like to fix the bootmgr problem beforehand. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Kandor

I think you may also be able to just run bootrec.exe from the command prompt.... and choose it from a list.

Gonna have to nuke it if Bootrec /RebuildBcd and bootrec /fixboot do not work.

Back