warranty for a cell phone is it on the carrier or the manufacturer?

Manufacturer, but most carriers will honor the warranty. I know for a fact Sprint and AT&T will, not sure about Verizon or T-Mo.

Verizon will honor the warranty. At least when I worked for their call center, we always sent out replacement phones for defective ones. I don't know if you called the carrier directly, they would do the same as well or direct you to the carrier instead.

Manufacturer. Each qualified service center should have full documentation on the different configurations of a particular model, including the different firmware for each carrier. If you bought your phone from a store, and the phone breaks down for whatever reason, if you send it back, they'll just forward it to the service center anyway.

However, if you're using a phone that's locked to a Carrier, you're better off sending it back to the carrier. They have a large enough inventory so they're more likely to replace the phone outright rather than wait weeks for the service center to fix it. It's subsidized because you're paying for the service rather than the physical medium.

with iphones I used to always just contact apple

now with the androids I was not quite sure what to do when I had the atrix it broke down I contacted motorola first no responses and went to att store years ago and told to go to motorola.... and moto in the end told me to contact att
wth

Sly, we're talking about taking it in to a retail store and having it worked on. Sprint's repair stores will fix it or replace it right on the spot, they won't send it back to the manufacturer. AT&T's service centers are the same way.

The way Apple works, NO carrier can repair iPhones, you HAVE to take it to an Apple store. That's part of Apple's conditions for the carriers selling the phones.

I think we have a different idea of what a retail store is. Sprint is a carrier, so they do have the facilities for phone repair (They have their own service center with documentation from each manufacturer, but their parts inventory is usually questionable), and if they think it'll take too long to turn around, they have the stocks to replace it outright.

I keep forgetting you have a different structure since you guys get most of your phones direct from carriers rather than retailers. In some american forums i've been to, they don't seem to grasp that you can get phones from places other than your carrier.

These are what phone stores over here look like. There's one in every mall.
pic01v.jpg

Separate stores dedicated to nothing but selling phones of every model. They generally don't have the facilities or the training to handle every phone in their inventory. The best they can do is update firmwares, or maybe mod specific phone models. If your phone needs to be repaired, you bring the sales receipt with you to a service center.

Do you guys have places like this? Or do your stores only sell models from one manufacturer?

Sly, we don't have that at all in the US. In fact, we don't even have single manufacturer stores, for the most part. Everything is purchased through either the carrier's stores, or a large electronics chain like Best Buy, Walmart, etc.

Also, how is Sprint's parts inventory questionable? For any current phones, or popular phones in the past 1-2 years, parts are completely stocked. If a store can't fix your phone, they replace it, no questions asked.

Back