warped Lian Li hard drive cage

Keauhou

n00b
I run a mini-ITX NAS inside a Lian Li PC-Q25. I love the case, but recently I noticed that its hard drive cage is....warped. See attached picture. Some of the disk guide rails won't actually fit in the grooves anymore. The fan mounting area is also affected. While I may be to blame for this state of affairs (fedexed the case to new address without removing all the drives first... :barefoot:) I was wondering whether anyone has a suggestion for getting the cage straightened out again? It's aluminium, so relatively soft, but I've been unable to bend it back in shape. Do you think this cage is fixable? Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6303_adj_cr_ret_r.jpg
    IMG_6303_adj_cr_ret_r.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 0
Is this affecting functionality or just something that bothers you aesthetically? You may have to completely remove the cage by drilling out rivets and such to get it out to flatten the bends.

Those FedEx guys most have been pretty hard on it. I thought you could just pull it out because you have to to make room for a large video card, I'd try bending it back into shape with it out of the case. If you can get the hot swap boards lined up on the back, I'd think that would be a good test of it being back to normal shape.

take the drives out and hit it with something. looks like it was dropped with the back of the case pointed down.

Might be easier if you pull the all the internals out of the case. There are pop rivets that hold the entire front fan mount, top section and HDD mounts. If you drill out all the silver ones you can see and there are the same number on the other side, it will come right out.

Is this affecting functionality or just something that bothers you aesthetically? You may have to completely remove the cage by drilling out rivets and such to get it out to flatten the bends.

It's more than aesthetic, unfortunately. I believe the warping is actually getting worse over time. So like you I was thinking of drilling out the rivets so that I could work on the cage out in the open. Thanks for your suggestion!

Last edited:
You can typically drill rivets out with a 7/64 bit, and re-tap for 6-32.

But that looks bendable. Just remove it, the drives, and use a bit of strength on it.

Back