Warning: XFX's silent revision on the 6970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah crap thanks for the heads up. I just bought a XFX 6970 and I hope it's the original V1 reference!

I'm amazed at the number of people replying to this thread with abysmal comprehension skills, you purchased a reference design and didn't get that simple enough. Kind of like ordering an advertised 5.0 liter mustang and received the shitty v-6 mustang.

Bah... Number 1, Car reference... Number 2. The 5.0 is the same quality as the crappier v1.1 card xfx put out. Cheaper parts and not as reliable engine overall, Its what people refer to as a "Mechanics Dream Engine". Kept them in business over those years.

I'm amazed at the number of people replying to this thread with abysmal comprehension skills, you purchased a reference design and didn't get that simple enough. Kind of like ordering an advertised 5.0 liter mustang and received the shitty v-6 mustang.

True, except for the fact that he DID get a reference card.

that somehow wasn't a reference card. If it wasn't the AMD design, then it's not reference. Despite what people may say about the "inevitable" revision, it was always planned by the AiB partners - reguardless if AMD wanted to or not.

MSI and PowerColor altered their model numbers - XFX should have as well. The new PCB has been used for weeks now, and an EK block already exists for that new PCB (it is in fact installed on the card now, I got it today). My PCB however, is not reference. Picture speaks for itself (there is no AMD logo on it, no BIOS switch, etc.)

The fact of the matter is, XFX now has two different PCB under the same model number. This cannot, should not happen. Ever.

No he did not... He got a non-reference board based on the reference V2 design sold to him as a reference v1 product...

This is false advertising plain and simple... The man did his research and there was nothing telling him this was anything other than the original reference design...

I don't know how with all the facts laid out yall can keep arguing that its a reference design... it does appear to be compatible with waterblocks built for the v2 reference design but that is not the argument being made... it is simply not the product he ordered.

Tiger I recommend you lock the thread...

ROFL this guy is hilarious :) It's like arguing with the Clergy that God isn't the one putting down the curtains at sundown and they send you back to the bible saying "it says He does so RIGHT here, LOOK!"

I'm hilarious, huh? Anyway, I'm not going to argue about this anymore, since I won't change your mind about it.

Look at the top card and compare it to the image in the first post: http://www.swiftech.com/images/Product_pages/Komodo-HD-6900/HD-6970-PCB-REVISIONS.jpg

There was info about the 6900 series getting a revision back in December, too:
http://www.techpowerup.com/137448/AMD-Revising-Radeon-HD-6900-Series-PCB.html

EDIT: nvm, looks like someone already responded before I did :eek:

considering the XFX is missing a BIOS switch, uses different inductors, and one power phase is gone, it can be safe to say this is not reference ;) Not to mention missing the AMD silkscreen :p

also:

"How to recognize an AMD reference design? Any AMD designed PCB should have a part number that starts with 102 (ie 102-xxxxx-xx)" is also wrong, based off of the Swiftech website.

ROFL this guy is hilarious :) It's like arguing with the Clergy that God isn't the one putting down the curtains at sundown and they send you back to the bible saying "it says He does so RIGHT here, LOOK!"

LMAOOOOO +1 Bible to you good sir :D. I've heard what you described so many times in religious debates it's not even funny.

LMAOOOOO +1 Bible to you good sir :D. I've heard what you described so many times in religious debates it's not even funny.

not genmay... both comments out domain...

I'm hilarious, huh? Anyway, I'm not going to argue about this anymore, since I won't change your mind about it.

That's because you are wrong. Why would you push to convince people of false information?

Sounds very similar to OCZ's little scandal (they did rectify it)

OCZ was selling Vertex 2s with different NAND chips. Most of their products and specifically their originals were shipping with intel 32/34nm chips, later down the line they started using different brand (intel and hynix + more) NAND and different die size (32/34nm to 25nm). This caused the drives to not meet the speeds that were advertised as the primary concern, as in the OP there is no means to determine the product is different until after you've taken it out of the box. (Full article on anandtech)

Don't bother trying to pick my post apart for my analogy not matching up exactly, CBA.

A lot of different posts have different reactions, there is one absolutely certainty and its that XFX was the first to be in the wrong. (This is assuming the model numbers did not change)

Code:
XFX understands that some enthusiasts may choose to replace the original component with their own cooling solution. To support the gaming community, we recommend that you contact XFX prior to any modifications so that we can update your profile and product registration to avoid potential issues with warranty support.  In addition, XFX support will be able to walk through the installation with you or provide feedback and pointers on available options for your specific product.  You may even consider shipping your components to XFX and allow the technicians at XFX to perform the modification for you (shipping charges to XFX apply).

After reading the above statement I called XFX and asked if EK-6970FC was supported for my card, he of course asked the model number and said yes. Even the employees can't tell there are changes to the card.

XFX done bad and needs to come clean. I'm confident XFX/reseller would have fixed the issue eventually for the OP but he shouldn't of had go through this. I order 50k in parts a year, I've dealt with many companies and if they are in the wrong they correct the issue.

His lack of patience led to some net loss, think this about sums it all up.

CBA to edit ;\ hope its all proper

To the OP, I agree that's a really nasty trick of xfx to pull. :(

I've just put EK blocks on my 6950's and Luckily for me Asus stuck to the reference design!

Those waterblocks are difficult to source (in the UK) quickly and it's hard enough chosing the right bits with the limited information available.

Good luck with your system and thanks for the heads up, which may help prevent someone making the same mistake.

You will also notice no AMD logo on his XFX board. Meaning not a AMD reference design. Also along with this other missing parts:

-The use of cheaper SMT components
-The speaker is missing
-A memory power phase is missing
-There is a ceramique cap and a few inductors near the PCIe power plugs
-No BIOS switch
-No backplate

Sapphire has a new blue pcb 6970 that's also the new rev ...

as for a weaker vrm ... i really don't know and you can't make that judgement based on 7 vs 8 phase design ...

You need to understand which components are being used. IIRC, when the news talked about this new sapphire 6970, they said it would have a optimized vrm ...

BUT... again ... i can't say it's the same pcb as XFX is using ...I still didn't take the cooler of, since i had to buy new V2 waterblocks ... ( i got the reference ones ) ...

But what sucks the most, is the fact that they still say that this is a reference design... at least, XFX does.

I opened a ticket at Sapphire support and they told me that this was not a reference design...

Also, if you look carefully, it's the same circuitry used in the powercolor pcs+ ... although the pcs+ has the bios switch ... and it can reach 1015Mhz core ... not too shabby ...

So ... Yes ... XFX sucks with support and marketing planing ... but at the same time i see all the new 6970's coming out with this new revision of the PCB :x

So who is the best video card seller that sticks with the reference card these days? Powercolor? Asus? I noticed the "revision" (different pictures) and was going to stay away from XFX when I was fishing for new parts to upgrade.

XFX always releases non-reference cards with shittier components, and it's why I don't buy their products.

Yes. I experienced this first hand with their non-reference 4890s. They didn't overclock worth a damn, they had shittier, louder fans and they didn't have the Volterra VRMs that allowed for voltage adjustment. I personally stay away from XFX ever since then.

I buy XFX when they first come out so I get reference cards and the warranty. After that I shy away from them.

After reading this entire thread, I will agree with the OP, XFX is wrong on this one. Its HILARIOUS that someone called XFX to see if this newer card is compatible with a reference cooler, and they responded with "YES". Thank you OP, and I ever did go to AMD i will leave XFX out of my buy list.

So who is the best video card seller that sticks with the reference card these days? Powercolor? Asus? I noticed the "revision" (different pictures) and was going to stay away from XFX when I was fishing for new parts to upgrade.

Its a flavor of the month thing. Just a few months ago when the 6xxx cards launched people considered XFX as a premium vendor and were paying extra just to get those cards.

I will just stay with Evga for nvidia or if i go ati i will go with someone else other then XFX. Good luck on getting XFX the shady Company fixing it for you

It is hard to say if this is really that bad. As a [H] members you know this is how shit rolls when you mod things. It has happened to me with lots of products. Pictures on almost all sites say that the product may be different. However I never considered any of these card manufacturers to be the type of company that would do anything different than XFX. The whole life time warranty is something they never plan on making good on anyway. It is just a marketing ploy they know that almost everyone will not ever use. They just all figured out if they dropped a lifetime warranty on it and charged a couple extra bucks gamers and enthusiasts would buy more. Then they have extra money to give away cards longer to those that make claims. But beyond that XFX makes video cards just like any other company. When I buy ATI I usually buy XFX though because they are the one with the best warranty. XFX is not good they just dont suck as bad as the other guys.

OK now THAT I would be pissed about. Selling a card in a retail box that doesn't even work with the AMD drivers is total bullshit. How the fuck does that happen? :eek:

when you try to sell an OEM only unit as retail because they are BB's new bitch after BFG died.

I don't always buy XFX, but when I do.. The only thing I want manufactured from XFX is the sticker and the warranty.

/meme

when you try to sell an OEM only unit as retail because they are BB's new bitch after BFG died.

I can't see that working out well for BB or XFX though, given that alot of potential customers won't even be able to use the card.

Wow just finished reading the XFX OEM card thread... and i am appalled at the lack of reading comprehension from english speakers there and english isn't my native language >.<

I agree with the OP of that thread, and with the peeps that are asking him to contact his local BBB offices and AMD offices, and not only about XFX but about BB.

Wow just wow >.< ... and they where on my OK list as a card builder, now i will move them to the "beware" list. (my 5670 was an XFX reference design and all, my 6850 is asus tho)

I can't see that working out well for BB or XFX though, given that alot of potential customers won't even be able to use the card.

true... that's why customers buy the geek squad plan, since they were clearly too "computer illiterate" to "install the drivers." Awesome conspiracy theory right there! :D

wow, but it might get amd to stop letting XFX make Amd gpu's because of this.

but Amd can tell XFX we dont want you to sell our products nomore. or use your name on our products nomore and then there goes there cash.

Wow... maybe it's time to seriously stop recommending XFX products. Getting back used power supplies as an RMA? Seriously now?

If there would be some sort of standardization for dimensions of cards and positions of screw holes and cooler pins, these things would not be happening, IT industry is still mostly based on logic where everyone is making and selling what they want.

The only thing you can do is to return your WB and buy some different one that might fit this card. Although its unfair, you really cant blame XFX they changed something on their hardware. They probably had a reason to change design on that card. Also newegg cant be blamed either, because no store will give you guarantee that images on the site or in catalog are reffering to the real items. There should be warning or notice in the terms of use or bottom of the site that pictures may differ from real hardware. Because they are generally not photos of the items that are sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back