Warning - OCZ won't honor rebate!

thylantyr

Limp Gawd
Bought some OCZ memory at the local retail store; Fry's Electronics,
sent the rebate package to OCZ and I got a telegram from OCZ that my
rebate claim is invalid because the retailer is not authorized in spite that
Fry's Electronics is listed on the OCZ website. :mad::rolleyes:

I will never buy OCZ memory again looking forward.

Not receiving a $40 rebate isn't going to kill me, rather it's nice to tell people about vendor
customer service, this is an area that is often neglected when making a decision,
most people go for what appears to be a great deal only to have risk of getting burned
by the poor service.

When we choose memory, there are so many vendors to choose from all offering competitve product, the winner in the end is the company with the best service.

I never liked the idea behind 'rebates', if you are going to sell the product at a lower
cost, then do so up front. The rebate methodology is more or less a trick as statistics
will show that only a certain percentage gets honored, either the customer didn't submit
or there is a 'mysterious' processing error. lol

1) That sucks, but pester them. You kept a copy of the paperwork, right? Are they just listed on the OCZ *website* or actually listed on the rebate form? If it's not on the form, it makes it much easier for them to stiff you.

2) Telegram?!?

Rebates are an accounting scam at your expense...and sometimes, they're just an outright scam...a certain recent article involving a dumpster, for example. But you can't really avoid them. I can see the appeal for the seller - they get to temporarily fudge their books to make the profits for the quarter look better, and do it legally. It's just too easy for them to say "rebate? what rebate?" and never ante up. I keep getting ones "lost" that shared an envelope with one that's shown on a rebate processor's status site...or "UPC not included" when I routinely staple it to the form. One even ended up with excuses that changed every time I contacted them, for many months, until I just decided they were dishonest pricks and the stress was not worth $20 - which I assume was the plan. Is it any wonder that consumers hate the frigging things?

contact OCZ directly, Email [email protected] and he can provide further instructions.

the outsourced rebate centers always does this crap. i've been in this boat before so don't worry they are not related to the company that hires them so don't blame OCZ :p

OCZ and Evga go out of their way to make sure you get the rebate as long as you followed the instructions and can provide proof if needed (such as a copy of the form, upc, etc etc)

1) That sucks, but pester them. You kept a copy of the paperwork, right? Are they just listed on the OCZ *website* or actually listed on the rebate form? If it's not on the form, it makes it much easier for them to stiff you.

Yeh same question for me, was Fry's listed on the form ? it being on the website has nothing to do with the form unless stated?

The rebate form used was generic, I snagged it online, I don't remember the link.
It had no specific vendor listed, it was a generic OCZ rebate form will all qualifying
memory model numbers and UPC's listed.

The letter I received has a claim ID number which should be sufficient if they want
to look me up, lol ...

I do blame OCZ as they are responsible for the actions of their 'contractors' not
performing their duties properly. It's an easy out if we say OCZ is not to blame. :p

contact OCZ directly, Email [email protected] and he can provide further instructions.
Sent email. :)

Nope, not OCZ's fault. this has been debated a lot of times on their forums. If the rebate was handled by OCZ then yes it's their issue but it's not so blame the company that handles the rebates ;)

but OCZ will take care of you :D

talk to AndyOCZ here in the forums, he is an OCZ rep and helped me out once with a rebate problem. He should be able to square it away for you.

hmmmm...last time I checked OCZ handled their own rebates...of course that was 6 mo. ago. They denied a newegg rebate of mine, think it was "product not purchased during rebate" or some such. Talked to one of the ladies in accounting, she pulled the submission, reviewed it and took care of it, only took about 5 minutes on the phone...I had my rebate shortly thereafter.

I guess I'm not alone with OCZ rebate problems. This was my first
OCZ purchase, so why do we buy from them if they have a history
of messing up rebates when there are many other vendors with better
service? :p

A while back when I was trying to decide which motherboard to buy, I noticed that if you go to the vendor's 'support' forum you can see if the product in question is good by the number of technical problems posted on their forum.

Why didn't I do this for the memory ? My bad! ..... I was in a hurry
to build my new system and I failed to do better homework on the
memory issue.

OCZ complaint section of their forum;
OCZ forum - Rebate Problems

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31407
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31154
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31172
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31169
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31170
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29991
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28605
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30650
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29486

plus more

This is funny ->
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30599

snip

"I've read some stupid comments on Newegg.com regarding OCZ's rebate redemption program. One guy said he didn't think OCZ wouldn't pay the rebate."

Touche!

Hmm...I don't think the number of complaints posted on a complaint forum gives you any meaningful information. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the way it's responded to could. I see a lot of posts by ***OCZ in your links. Maybe their rebate handling staff is only average, but their general service people are still great? *shrug*

I haven't used any of their products for a few years (just better prices or overclocking material elsewhere) but last time I did they were very helpful.

I bought thousands of dollars worth of tools from Amazon.com when they had their
tool specials going on, lots of rebates. I took the chance and got 100% satisfaction.

I bought a $1500 Zerox printer this year from their website [store] as they offered a $500 rebate on this model.
I was worried if they didn't honor the rebate. I got my $500 check in no time.

I buy a meager $120 ram from OCZ because people recommend it and they can't
even honor the $40 rebate. LOL .........

Point is, rebate handling is a no-brainer for a competent company. Only companies
that desire to scam will have issues as I have shown by linking to their complaint forum. LOL ...

/Comedy/

I can't say a whole lot about their Rebates, but just 3 Months ago I bought ram from Fry's and it was OCZ Ram and it had a rebate and I got it back in like 6 weeks tops, so for me the Rebate worked. But I'm not saying it is that way for everyone because i have had problems before with rebates with other companies and hate them and try not to go the Rebate route if I don't have too.

I sent a nasty gram to OCZ marketing department and I got this response.

snip .....

"We will move your promotion to the correct offer and have the rebate house honor your file."

They imply I did something 'incorrect" :rolleyes:

... yes... we know the consumer is always at fault when it comes
to retrieving rebate money. :rolleyes:

We have to use the heavy duty crowbar to pry open their wallet to fork over
what it ours. :)

snip .....

"We will move your promotion to the correct offer and have the rebate house honor your file."

The rebate form used was generic, I snagged it online, I don't remember the link.
It had no specific vendor listed, it was a generic OCZ rebate form will all qualifying

Just a FYI, but if you bought the RAM a local Fry's store they will print you out or give you the rebate form. Sometimes they might forget so when buying from Fry's remember to get a rebate form for everything that has a rebate. I have a feeling the trouble you went through was because you used a generic form. Sometimes the UPC code is 1 digit off even though it might be the same model and everything.

Special MIR Program OCZ Memory Rebate

Terms and Conditions: This mail-in rebate offer is valid only on
purchases made by an end user from a participating reseller on
this specific rebate program between August 16, 2007 and
August 31, 2007 on select* OCZ Products.

*Include one of the following original OCZ UPC codes:
*Submissions sent without the original OCZ UPC Barcode may be denied
$30 OCZ2P8004GK UPC: 842024005872
$25 OCZ2VU8004GK UPC: 842024005445
$30 OCZ2VU8002GK UPC: 842024005223
$30 OCZ2VU6674GK UPC: 842024005209
$35 OCZ2T8002GK UPC: 842024004752
$30 OCZ2SOE8002GK UPC: 842024004004
$40 OCZ2RPR8002GK UPC: 842024005728
$40 OCZ2N800SR2GK UPC: 842024005650
$15 OCZ2MV6672G UPC: 842024005742
$40 OCZ2FX800C42GK UPC: 842024004943
$35 OCZ2A8002GK UPC: 842024004509
$5 OCZ26671024VSO UPC: 842024003892

This form is not vendor specific, perhaps I snagged it off of OCZ's
website. The memory I bought is on the list -> $40 OCZ2RPR8002GK UPC: 842024005728

Fry's is a participating reseller.

The way I see it, OCZ just want to make it difficult for consumers to get their money.

snip .....

well you might of filled out the wrong form. who knows. issue is resolved so yeah :p

Time to move on. A new quest has started [OCZ's second committment to pay]

'We shall see Mr. Frodo'

If they pay the piper :p:)

That is just it, they will not honor generic rebate forms. I ran into same problem a few months back on some I purchased at frys and used generic form. I got the postcard in mail stating it wasn't accepted, I then contacted rebate customer support and gave her a bleeding heart email spill about my pitiful situation. It worked, she stated she would honor the rebate form this "One" time but for future reference if the rebate form doesn't state clearly the store logo on the form it is generic and will not be honored. Tough luck.

The letter I received has a claim ID number which should be sufficient if they want
to look me up, lol ...

I do blame OCZ as they are responsible for the actions of their 'contractors' not
performing their duties properly. It's an easy out if we say OCZ is not to blame. :p

Sent email. :)

Lets not make excuses guys. I used the word generic just to describe
a form that wasn't vendor specific, the rebate form used is a legit
document that can be used in any courtroom. The form is an OCZ rebate with 'Terms and Conditions' etal...
written all over it. [post 17]. The reality is that OCZ doesn't have good customer service and lets stop blaming the consumer. LOL ...

On another note, a story was ran on the local newspaper a while back
on rebates, someone found over 1000 rebate letters [claims], un-opened in the said companies dumpster and this stirred up alot of
media attention. Don't be shocked to know that companies do want
a certain percentange of rebate claims unclaimed - no business
*want's* to give out free money. LOL

I don't deal with them anymore...

been seeing this BS for too many years... and not just with computer/consumer electronics. This form of "marketing" is crap. Just sell your product at a lower cost to begin with and stick your rebate where the sun don't shine.

When comparison shopping for components (or appliances, or anything else), I don't factor in the cost of rebates.

For those companies who PAY a third party to handle rebates.... WTF? For those who handle their own rebates (and still screw up), SHAME SHAME SHAME on you. If I happen to purchase something that has a rebate, I don't count on them... but if they show up 6-12 weeks later.... its "mad" money... and goes into my "Vegas" jar for extra gambling fun.

Agree.

Another note:

I bought a clothes washer a few years ago and one of the selling
points by the store was a rebate offered by the city as part of some
'energy savings program, you get $50 back' etc. I turned in the forms
and got notice that the city stopped offering this program. :rolleyes:
[but the store is still advertising this to sell product]

Good customer service is hard to find, good thing there are allot of vendors to choose from. You call to resolve your problem could have went like this.

http://forum.visiontek.com/viewtopic.php?p=8308#8308

I couldn't get through to the rebate house......however I feel I could have gotten lucky, in another means.

I'll be reading up prior to buying anything requiring a rebate from here on out. Please people let your voices be heard, so others can benefit.

Back