Warning! H50 / H70 Back plate on H55N-USB

Zyklon808

Gawd
Just came back from a friend's place. He ended up destroying two H55N boards due to the goofy H50/H70 back plate. Apparently he was not aware that the components on the mobo's back side can be destroyed by these poorly designed back plates.

I ended up taking needle files to mine so it would not break surface mounted components. This is also a problem with DFI Mitx board as well.

Buyer beware! Wish someone would make an alternative style plate!

Must say, this has been known since the H55N board came out. Your friend just needs to read reviews/[H]forums before he purchases ; ) and its not a problem with the back plate, its a problem with the motherboard. I am using an H50 and I know a few others are too with the H55N. i just took a knife and notched around the back plate where the mosfets touch.

Yup, it was a known issue since the first pre-release pictures of this board came out. For my build, I went with washers instead of the included backplate for my Thermalright cooler.

IMG_3594.JPG

Yup, This has been posted ever since people started to use this board. Same issue exist DFI board(my previous one) I'll try to post shot of cut and file I had to do on mine in my build log tonight(hopely)

For modded shot of backplate, check last 3 pictures in post#74 from below link.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1469728

Last edited:
Man am I glad I saw this thread before my stuff arrived tomorrow, thanks very much for the advice, im sure it will become clearer when i have the parts in front of me but which holes has he actually trimmed there, s775 or the s1366 ones, im guessing which ever it is it would still be usable on other sockets later?

If you over do it :) you can get replacement from Corsair for like $5. I think they are free and you just pay shipping. But chances are, you can still use it and it's really not hard to find where to cut and file. I'm actually using one that I already cut when I had DFI and made more cuts for this mobo. I don't think I can cut any more lol. You just have to place backplate and see where things hits it. I just used exacto to cut out and didn't even bother with file(I did but knife was much faster and easier)

Man am I glad I saw this thread before my stuff arrived tomorrow, thanks very much for the advice, im sure it will become clearer when i have the parts in front of me but which holes has he actually trimmed there, s775 or the s1366 ones, im guessing which ever it is it would still be usable on other sockets later?

I thought about doing same thing but I wasn't sure if that nut will stay put when I screw it in. :D Didn't feel like holding nuts on back side while screw it in. So I just cut what needed to be cut. :)

Yup, it was a known issue since the first pre-release pictures of this board came out. For my build, I went with washers instead of the included backplate for my Thermalright cooler.

Well the back plate for that cooler is absolute tripe for 1366 and 1156 holes. The last 3 boards I used the holes marked 1156 and 1366 did -not- align on my systems. I had to swap it.

Honestly, I would rather use washers with he little metal standoffs that you sink into the plastic base.

Either way not everyone has access to the information. I can only imagine how many matx/mitx motherboards these crappy back plates have claimed.

I can only imagine how many matx/mitx motherboards these crappy back plates have claimed.

Once again.. its NOT the back plates fault... :rolleyes: People risk making mistakes when building their own computers.
So far its only the nature of the beast (ITX) they are tight on space and put them closer to the processor.

My H50 backplate came with those pad-thingies to put between it and the motherboard (my mobo being GA-P55M-UD2 but has the same "issue"). Too bad that when the time came to remove the damn backplate, it was literally glued in place by those pads, and getting it detached was a major pain in the butt. And there's plenty of residue still left behind, I didn't even try to remove it for the fear of damaging something while trying to get that goo off of the board. In retrospect should've used something else as padding.

I read somewhere that a quick fix to this issue was to get nail clippers and clip off the offending corner leaving only the 1156 hole. I think it was in one of these threads.

Anyone gotten one of these to successfully fit on a Gigabyte P55M-UD4? I'm looking at getting one for the missus' PC (good thing she doesn't read here, I'm giving her my current system sans vid card/dvd drive/hdd).

Read my comment above. I believe the mounting is identical in the UD4 and UD2.

Not at all, a couple of washers is all that you need. Alternatively you can cut it a bit, it's soft so no big deal

Awesome :)

I'm considering downsizing my sig rig to a PC-Q11 and a H55N, and if I do I would definitely use my H50 (stock is lame and nothing else would really fit).

Good to know!

took me about 5 minutes with an exacto knife to make the necessary cuts to the backplate

Back