Warning: EpicScale "Riskware" Silently Installed With Latest uTorrent

If you're not using 2.2.1, you're doing it wrong.
You can get a very similar experience to 2.2.1 with qBittorrent.

I used 2.2.1 for ages, but I didn't like the idea of using very old software forever. The sooner everyone abandons uTorrent the better.

I'm still rockin 2.2.1 build 25110. Somewhere above this started to sux donkey bawls

2.2.1 is the last good version.

Deluge is like old utorrent, tiny and just for downloading.

Well Im glad I have been constantly clicking "No" when its been asking me to update. Good to know, thank you.

Yeah it has gotten harder and harder to disable all the uTorrent nags / bars / rails / offers. I'm reading to use Deluge and qBitTorrent, and some closed source Tixati.

utorrent has been crap for years now
Indeed.

I remember a few years ago updating to latest uTorrent client to find that the side panel was now filled with invitations from lusty Asian women to come and chat with them.

Uninstalled that garbage right away. Like many other posters here I switched to qBittorrent for all my...uh, Linux distro needs.

Another qBittorent user here. uTorrent sold out a long time ago, what a shame.

I switched to Tixati after uTorrent started playing ads with audio without me clicking anything. I had the application minimized, and heard something playing. Took me a while to track it down to that, but after that, it was 100% Tixati for me, since I can't stand such intrusive ads.

qBittorrent is open source, on more platforms and updated more frequently then the proprietary Tixati. I've used both and much prefer qBittorrent but both are good clients.

this is bs. the installer clearly allows the user to opt out of all 3rd party crapware. i have the latest version installed and it is no different than it has ever been since utorrent monetized. i see that isnt stopping people from jumping on the bandwagon though!

uTorrent went to shit at v3.0. Either use 2.2.1 or use another client. qBittorrent is my current favorite. Deluge and Tixati get honorable mention.

this is bs. the installer clearly allows the user to opt out of all 3rd party crapware. i have the latest version installed and it is no different than it has ever been since utorrent monetized. i see that isnt stopping people from jumping on the bandwagon though!

You can't opt out of the ads unless you pay, in which case I'd be paying for features I do not want and will never need. I'll stick with qBittorrent which has a very similar interface without the bullshit.

You can't opt out of the ads unless you pay, in which case I'd be paying for features I do not want and will never need. I'll stick with qBittorrent which has a very similar interface without the bullshit.

ads have nothing to do with this thread.

Using a program with ads when there are viable alternatives just because it's popular would also be "jumping on the bandwagon." I don't mean you in particular (as I don't know your preferences and what features you enjoy) but discussing alternatives is always good.

Also, in case you didn't read through everything: the issue was the install was silent, no opt-out.

Also, in case you didn't read through everything: the issue was the install was silent, no opt-out.

I confirmed the installation on my side and I uncheck everything when updating. If this is due to a bug with the installer and not done purposefully so be it, I have no issue.

Using a program with ads when there are viable alternatives just because it's popular would also be "jumping on the bandwagon." I don't mean you in particular (as I don't know your preferences and what features you enjoy) but discussing alternatives is always good.

i absolutely read through it. the silent install has been debunked by more than just me. whoever started this rumor was either being lazy while clicking through the install or grabbed an altered version of the installer from an untrusted source.

i absolutely read through it. the silent install has been debunked by more than just me. whoever started this rumor was either being lazy while clicking through the install or grabbed an altered version of the installer from an untrusted source.

*shrug* I doubt I made an error and I'm not incompetent enough to download it from an untrusted source. If I missed a checkbox, my mistake.

Better article on the matter: https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-quietly-installs-riskware-bitcoin-miner-users-report-150306/

Note the updates on the bottom.

"Update: The silent install appears to happen selectively, and not on all machines. TF had confirmation from various sides and with screenshots of every step of the install process where no Epic Scale screen appeared. In one case, the opt-out screen was eventually shown after several re-installs.

Update: BitTorrent Inc. informs TF that they are not aware of any problems.

“In terms of user complaints in our forums, we always take these claims seriously. We highly value our users, they are a passionate and tech savvy group. In the last 24 hours we have received less than a dozen inquiries out of several million offers.”

“We have reviewed the issue closely and can confirm there is no silent install happening. We are continuing to look at the issue. But this is most likely these users accepted the offer during install.”"

Better article on the matter: https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-quietly-installs-riskware-bitcoin-miner-users-report-150306/

Note the updates on the bottom.

"Update: The silent install appears to happen selectively, and not on all machines. TF had confirmation from various sides and with screenshots of every step of the install process where no Epic Scale screen appeared. In one case, the opt-out screen was eventually shown after several re-installs.

Update: BitTorrent Inc. informs TF that they are not aware of any problems.

“In terms of user complaints in our forums, we always take these claims seriously. We highly value our users, they are a passionate and tech savvy group. In the last 24 hours we have received less than a dozen inquiries out of several million offers.”

“We have reviewed the issue closely and can confirm there is no silent install happening. We are continuing to look at the issue. But this is most likely these users accepted the offer during install.”"

I checked both computers running utorrent and both were up to date and neither one had epicscale on it

Good thing you still can find the good old 'low footprint' version without bundled crapware. Just disable auto-updates and decline all offers and you're good to go.

Where can I get this? I opt out of updates, but I hardly use it. Any other good replacement for uTorrent? I don't think I ever used anything else.

"Epic Scale is distributed through partners like BitTorrent on a 100% opt-in basis."

"This offer is only being distributed to Windows client installs. Windows users can find or delete the application in Add/Remove Programs and remove any residual files in C:\ProgramData\Epicscale."

So its optional entirely? Either way people should stop using Utorrent. Its been garbage for ages. I use a Seedbox and Rtorrent ftw.

Okay, I tried putting uTorrent on a VM last night to see if I could get Epic Scale to install without consent.

However, the Epic Scale install has already been supplanted by another piece of software.

So I'd bet dollars to donuts (at least a cop-full's worth), that there was something shady/broken (probably shady) about the Epic Scale installer.

Where can I get this? I opt out of updates, but I hardly use it. Any other good replacement for uTorrent? I don't think I ever used anything else.

Deluge. Pretty much everything from uTorrent except the crappy ads and shady malware.
If you can find your way around uTorrent, you can handle Deluge easy.

http://deluge-torrent.org/

*shrug* I doubt I made an error and I'm not incompetent enough to download it from an untrusted source. If I missed a checkbox, my mistake.

In a lot of cases, these bundle installers fuck with you. Instead of providing a UNIFORM Accept/Deny setup, they do nasty stuff like flip the location of buttons, sometimes leave only one button and make the opt out a tiny hypertext link, etc.

AGGRAVATING AS SHIT!

rtorrent is the best torrent client... with the rutorrent web front-end... I used to use utorrent, the qbittorrent, then deluge, then went to rtorrent and never looked back

The fact that they have been pushing 3rd party crapware for a while made me lose a lot of respect for them, to the point where I don't recommend it anymore to people who need a torrent client.

I use the old version I think I found a version 3.2.2 that has no forced ads or any of the bullshit... turned off all updates and made sure it was locked down pretty tight. It's the perfect example of good clean compact and efficient software going down the shitter because the creator wanted to make a quick buck. Fuck those guys.

The fact that they have been pushing 3rd party crapware for a while made me lose a lot of respect for them, to the point where I don't recommend it anymore to people who need a torrent client.

I use the old version I think I found a version 3.2.2 that has no forced ads or any of the bullshit... turned off all updates and made sure it was locked down pretty tight. It's the perfect example of good clean compact and efficient software going down the shitter because the creator wanted to make a quick buck. Fuck those guys.

I don't get why people don't just move to better clients like qbTorrent instead of cherry picking out old versions of u.

I've been using qBittorrent for a long time now with no issues. I don't know why anyone uses μTorrent anymore, especially (god forbid) outdated versions of μTorrent. You really think they haven't patched any security holes since your preferred version was released? Come on.

qBittorent masterrace!

yeah, until it craps itself completely after a power loss. it's a terrible piece of software

transmission has some spartan gui but since it lives on the my linux htpc I use web interface anyway. it's still bad but I've written a few lines of js to make it better

Who at uTorrent thought this would be a good idea? They had to know there would be a huge shitstorm that would result. I doubt the bitcoins they'd get initially before most catch on and drop the software would be worth it.

Back