Warning: EpicScale "Riskware" Silently Installed With Latest uTorrent

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Mar 6, 2015.

1. fixedmy7970

fixedmy7970 Gawd

this is lol. of all thiings to install, a cpu miner? lol!

gee, my fans are at 100% at idle, and my pc has a new program installed called EpicScale...nothing to see here

2. Converge

Converge [H]ard|Gawd

Ive never had issues and I am always careful with installs. However just to feel better and try something new I got deluge last night. Very simple and I like it, I'll stick with it.

3. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Looked up how much it costs to buy uTorrent. Actually they only sell yearly subscriptions! That's insane for such a small piece of software that is easily replaceable. I wonder how many takers they actually have.

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Hehehe... bullshit on the opt-in basis. How many installers have everything pre-checked and you actually need to uncheck them prior to kicking the install button? Saw my brother-in-laws computer this weekend, had 2 search bars in firefox installed, had chrome installed even though he never uses it, hell I even saw realplayer installed.... who the hell uses that anymore? Ugh, this is why I cringe whenever I hear "my brother wants to bring over his computer" from my wife.

5. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Stick this on his PC

http://unchecky.com

6. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Linux or virtual machines, it's the only way to torrent.

7. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

I was reading about http://ninite.com also. Upgraded uTorrent on one PC for the heck of it, and got the other bundle offer (that includes wajam, not epic scale). Moved main PC to qBitTorrent for testing before moving all.