WARNING: Do not send your PSP for exchange to Sony!

nitzerebb6

n00b
I had ordered my PSP before launch from EB Games. When it arrived, I was disappointed to find that it had a lot of white dust between the LCD and the plastic bubble. What made it worst was whenever I would play the PSP outside, the dust would reflect in the sun, making it very hard to play. Unfortunately, I live in the SF Bay Area and all the local EB Games were sold out so I was unable to swap it at a store. I called Sony and they assured me that they would replace it with a new unit without defects. So I blindly took their word for it since it didn't appear any local stores would get any new PSPs in the near future. BIG MISTAKE!

About $10 and 16 days later (and that is with sending it via UPS 3 day), I got a "refurbished" unit from Sony. I don't know where they are getting these units but the one I received had over 16 dead/stuck pixels and the clasp that holds the drive closed works about half the time. Could it be that I got someones unit that was returned to a store as a "refurbished" replacement? I called their customer service and after explaining the ordeal and expressing my dissatisfaction, all they could offer was to have me send my unit in again for repairs. I decided not to since I still have about a week before EB Games 30-day online purchase refund/exchange expires. Unfortunately, it seems the local stores are still out of stock but I am pursuing some other options.

I just wanted to pass this on as a warning to anyone who is considering sending their units back to Sony. For those that already did, I hope you have better luck than I did.

take it back to EB games before the 30 days even if they don't have one yet, and then pick up your new one as soon as they get them in.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may end up doing that. One EB Games I just called to say they may get some in on Wednesday so I'll probably hold off to see if that works out.

I know this doesn't help you guys directly, but the Wal-Mart in Daphne,AL had at least 7 PSPs about 2 days ago. Just letting everyone know in case they were looking to swap one out. :cool:

I had the same problem with the PSOne + LCD combo. I had to do two returns and for the second one the local EBs were out of them. Fortunately they just gave me my money back. I promptly used that money to go to Target and buy one there. I'm still hesitant to buy anything with an LCD screen from EB again. :mad:

This is Sony's fault. I'm sure there are huge office buildings with Japanese middle managers running around bumping into each other.

Corporate culture in Japan is such that these poor guys probably havn't slept in months :p

Hah. That's Sony for you... build a shit quality product, as usual, and fuck the customers royally.

Eidolon said:
I had the same problem with the PSOne + LCD combo. I had to do two returns and for the second one the local EBs were out of them. Fortunately they just gave me my money back. I promptly used that money to go to Target and buy one there. I'm still hesitant to buy anything with an LCD screen from EB again. :mad:

You do realize that EB doesn't make anything that it stocks in its stores right?

I was about to send mine to Sony for dead pixels too, but I decided against it since the local stores had a quite a few in stock. I had to get a refund from Fry's though since they absolutely refused to give me a new one so I just took my money and went to Target where I got one with one or two dead pixels in very remote areas. :cool:

I'd say go back to EB with it and get a refund then go to some store that has em in stock or sit on the dough till they get em back.

NumbLock said:
This is Sony's fault. I'm sure there are huge office buildings with Japanese middle managers running around bumping into each other.

Corporate culture in Japan is such that these poor guys probably havn't slept in months :p

Actually, the Japanese work 2 weeks less per year than Americans. The US is the most over-worked country in the world. There was an article about it a couple years ago on how little vacation time Americans get.

man i feel your pain, thats total bullshit though, I certainly would not put up with that, especially for something you shelled out so much cash for.. start a riot!!! :)

Hopefully your local eb games store lets you exchange it, sales are tracked by serial numbers and when you bring your psp back to the store, it will not match the one on your receipt. I highly doubt they will give you a new one, even if you explain its a replacement from sony. You will prolly have to deal with the devil company sony again.

Back