"Warning: Connection Problems Detected" in BF1942

Bradster

Weaksauce
A few weeks ago I decided to get back into the BF1942 seat. I used to play quite a lot previously but work got in the way of playing. Now I come back to playing I get this:

Warning: Connection Problems Detected - this is the message I get with every game of BF1942 (plus mods) after anything from 10 seconds of play to 15 minutes (if I am lucky). The message will pop up and the game will freeze for over 10 seconds and then display "You have been disconnected from the server" and I get booted to the menu screen.

BF1942 is at the latest version, as are the mods.

Game: Battlefield 1942, Desert Comabt, Battlfield Vietnam, EOD

Problem: Getting disconnected from server after "Warning: Connection Problems Detected" message is displayed. This is any server I connect to.

System: P4 3Ghz, 512mb pc1066 rdram, Audigy 1 soundcard, Gigabyte Titan mobo, Maxtor SATA 120 + Seagate 60GB, BFG 6800 GT OC, XP SP2 (swap file of second disk), hub, Linksys router, ntl cable @ 750k etc

Attempted Resolutions:
Reinstalled all versions to latest - FAILED. Tried new and old video card drivers - FAILED. Tried a different network card - FAILED. Tried all settings for connection speed in BF menu (56K, ISDN 128, ADSL 256, T1) - FAILED. Turned off QOS in NIC settings (saw this on the net somewhere) - FAILED. Remove hub and router and go straight through cable modem - FAILED. Download All Seeing Eye and use autodetect network settings - FAILED. Surf the net looking for an answer - many solutions offered that worked for individuals but not for me, so FAILED. Updated Punkbuster manually - FAILED

I am cuurently working down the network speed list in ASE from auto to 56K. I will be testing 56K tonight which is my final test point.

I have tested UT2003 online which plays without any problems.

Is there anyone in this community that has had any experience with this problem? Any help would be appreciated - a LOT! This is one of the few games I play online and I would like to play it without being disconnected :)

It's because of Steam. Yell at Valve.

I honestly hope nobody thinks I'm serious

Maybe I missed it, but are you on dial-up or broadband (I know you mentioned testing it with 56k, but I mean overall, what do you use)?

I believe this happens when you don't have enough bandwith to update quickly enough to keep up with the server. Instead of allowing you to lag behind, the game simply removes you from the match. I've had this happen a few times when my DSL connection was really bogged down.

WickedAngel said:
Maybe I missed it, but are you on dial-up or broadband (I know you mentioned testing it with 56k, but I mean overall, what do you use)?

I believe this happens when you don't have enough bandwith to update quickly enough to keep up with the server. Instead of allowing you to lag behind, the game simply removes you from the match. I've had this happen a few times when my DSL connection was really bogged down.

Im on cable - 750k down, 128k up

Funny, I've noticed the same thing recently...seems to have connection problems on lots of games...don't have the same problems with COD or UT2K4...

I don't seem to be able to get a response from anyone in the DC forum.

Well, time to spam as many gamers forums as i can :(

I'll post there and see if I can get some help. They're not very nice to new members. Sometimes they're extremely useful...and sometimes they're extremely useless.

By the way, have you tried scanning for spyware using programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot?

This also depends on the servers you're choosing. Have you tried searching for servers with pings that are <100? I get the dreaded "Connection Problems" on servers that are really bogged down.

Are you on xp pro, and if you are, are you upgraded to service pack 2?

I have been having LAN/internet problems constantly since I upgraded both my pc's to service pack 2. Maybe your problem could be a similar issue. Alot of people have complained about being forced to totally reset(by way of dos shell commands) their connection properties after a SP2 upgrade(me included)

WickedAngel said:
I'll post there and see if I can get some help. They're not very nice to new members. Sometimes they're extremely useful...and sometimes they're extremely useless.

By the way, have you tried scanning for spyware using programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot?

This also depends on the servers you're choosing. Have you tried searching for servers with pings that are <100? I get the dreaded "Connection Problems" on servers that are really bogged down.

Yeah, did the spyware check at the begining - nothing found. As for the servers, its every server I pick - even with really low pings. I have problems even when I am the only one in the map!

Super56K said:
Are you on xp pro, and if you are, are you upgraded to service pack 2?

I have been having LAN/internet problems constantly since I upgraded both my pc's to service pack 2. Maybe your problem could be a similar issue. Alot of people have complained about being forced to totally reset(by way of dos shell commands) their connection properties after a SP2 upgrade(me included)

I am running SP2 for XP Pro. I didn't upgrade from the net - I used the full network install file.

Do you have any more information about the network problems that you and your freinds have been have with SP2 please?

Bradster said:
A few weeks ago I decided to get back into the BF1942 seat. I used to play quite a lot previously but work got in the way of playing. Now I come back to playing I get this:

Warning: Connection Problems Detected - this is the message I get with every game of BF1942 (plus mods) after anything from 10 seconds of play to 15 minutes (if I am lucky). The message will pop up and the game will freeze for over 10 seconds and then display "You have been disconnected from the server" and I get booted to the menu screen.

BF1942 is at the latest version, as are the mods.

Game: Battlefield 1942, Desert Comabt, Battlfield Vietnam, EOD

Problem: Getting disconnected from server after "Warning: Connection Problems Detected" message is displayed. This is any server I connect to.

System: P4 3Ghz, 512mb pc1066 rdram, Audigy 1 soundcard, Gigabyte Titan mobo, Maxtor SATA 120 + Seagate 60GB, BFG 6800 GT OC, XP SP2 (swap file of second disk), hub, Linksys router, ntl cable @ 750k etc

Attempted Resolutions:
Reinstalled all versions to latest - FAILED. Tried new and old video card drivers - FAILED. Tried a different network card - FAILED. Tried all settings for connection speed in BF menu (56K, ISDN 128, ADSL 256, T1) - FAILED. Turned off QOS in NIC settings (saw this on the net somewhere) - FAILED. Remove hub and router and go straight through cable modem - FAILED. Download All Seeing Eye and use autodetect network settings - FAILED. Surf the net looking for an answer - many solutions offered that worked for individuals but not for me, so FAILED. Updated Punkbuster manually - FAILED

I am cuurently working down the network speed list in ASE from auto to 56K. I will be testing 56K tonight which is my final test point.

I have tested UT2003 online which plays without any problems.

Is there anyone in this community that has had any experience with this problem? Any help would be appreciated - a LOT! This is one of the few games I play online and I would like to play it without being disconnected :)

Their have been "patches released for BFV", you may want to check for other available updates.. Patches, mods, etc... :)

I doubt it's the lack of a patch. If you didn't have the patch installed that the server you're connecting to has installed, you wouldn't be playing at all, it wouldn't allow you to connect to the game.

I have the disconnect problem once in a great while, and like you, I tried everything. It turns out to be a problem with one of the switches or routers (of the many that make up the net connection) between my computer and the game server computer. Now, the closer the problemed switch/router is to my ISP, the more common the disconnect problem will happen. It's not my ISP's fault, as they can only control the resources between me and them. After my connection passed through them, it also passes through many other routers/switches before it reaches the game server. If somewhere in there, there is a problem, then I'll get the disconnection issues until the problem is fixed, which has taken from a few hours to a couple of weeks. Now, the closer the problemed switch/router is to my ISP, the more common the disconnect problem will happen.

Different games have servers in different locations, so this is why some games seem unaffected.

This may or may not be your problem. You could find out by downloading and installing a program called "Pingplotter" http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Once it's installed, find a BF42 server you want to play on and get it's IP#, then input that IP# into Pingplotter, and start the program running. Then start your game as normal. When you get the disconnection problem, go to Pingplotter and check if there was a connection somewhere that was having problems.

Badger_sly said:
I doubt it's the lack of a patch. If you didn't have the patch installed that the server you're connecting to has installed, you wouldn't be playing at all, it wouldn't allow you to connect to the game.

I have the disconnect problem once in a great while, and like you, I tried everything. It turns out to be a problem with one of the switches or routers (of the many that make up the net connection) between my computer and the game server computer. Now, the closer the problemed switch/router is to my ISP, the more common the disconnect problem will happen. It's not my ISP's fault, as they can only control the resources between me and them. After my connection passed through them, it also passes through many other routers/switches before it reaches the game server. If somewhere in there, there is a problem, then I'll get the disconnection issues until the problem is fixed, which has taken from a few hours to a couple of weeks. Now, the closer the problemed switch/router is to my ISP, the more common the disconnect problem will happen.

Different games have servers in different locations, so this is why some games seem unaffected.

This may or may not be your problem. You could find out by downloading and installing a program called "Pingplotter" http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Once it's installed, find a BF42 server you want to play on and get it's IP#, then input that IP# into Pingplotter, and start the program running. Then start your game as normal. When you get the disconnection problem, go to Pingplotter and check if there was a connection somewhere that was having problems.

Thanks for your input :)

But it is EVERY server I connect to I will get the disconnection problem. Even tried UT2003 and that periodically loses the connection an any server.

I was on the phone last night to my ISP for over an hour. We went through the usual scripted stuff he has to read (ntl is now outsourced to India now). After a lot of crap I said I will launch BF1942 while the tech support guy was pinging my IP address. As I was in the game of a UK server I got the usual "Warning: Connection Problems Detected" message after about a minute. The thing is he even saw that I was losing packets as a few ping requests we dropped as I had the warning message! But he could not explain why, so he tried to pass me on to his supervisor but I was on hold for 15 minutes before I hung up.

I suspect its my cable modem but I cant prove it unless I get another modem. Time to send an email I think....

Did you unplug your cablemodem for a minute, then plug it back in? That resets the modem and it'll have to resinc to your ISP again. It's worth a try.

If that's not it, then the connection is bad either between you and your ISP, or with one of the hops not too far out from your ISP. Did you try that Pingplotter program?

Badger_sly said:
Did you unplug your cablemodem for a minute, then plug it back in? That resets the modem and it'll have to resinc to your ISP again. It's worth a try.

If that's not it, then the connection is bad either between you and your ISP, or with one of the hops not too far out from your ISP. Did you try that Pingplotter program?

Yeah I did several modem resets.

I am still at work so I can't try the pingplotter until I get home.

I have sent my isp a full report on whats happening though - hopefully get a response

Bradster said:
Thanks for your input :)

But it is EVERY server I connect to I will get the disconnection problem. Even tried UT2003 and that periodically loses the connection an any server.

I was on the phone last night to my ISP for over an hour. We went through the usual scripted stuff he has to read (ntl is now outsourced to India now). After a lot of crap I said I will launch BF1942 while the tech support guy was pinging my IP address. As I was in the game of a UK server I got the usual "Warning: Connection Problems Detected" message after about a minute. The thing is he even saw that I was losing packets as a few ping requests we dropped as I had the warning message! But he could not explain why, so he tried to pass me on to his supervisor but I was on hold for 15 minutes before I hung up.

I suspect its my cable modem but I cant prove it unless I get another modem. Time to send an email I think....

Im play Quake III over the net with no Problems, and im on SP2.

This one is for people in the UK on ntl broadband:

If you are having problems with your connection etc visit www.cableforum.co.uk and have a read through the forum. If you have a problem then register and post it up.

I posted my problem on there and within 2 minutes I was being helped! The people that hover in there are ntl network support guys and were able to diagnose my problem for me and checked my modem, which appears to be at fault.

I now have an engineer turning up early next week to swap out my modem and do some tests.

:)

Hopefully this will be resolved!

Back