Warner Bros. Settles FTC Charges Over Deceptive YouTube Influencer Campaign

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know what the saddest part was about this whole debacle? Shadow of Mordor was actually a good game that didn't need Warner Bros. showering cash on the likes of PewDiePie. Let's hope they've learned their lesson from this whole thing (probably not).

Under the terms of the FTC’s settlement, Warner Bros. will have to clearly identify its sponsorship of marketing videos published on YouTube in the future. The FTC order mandates that Warner Bros. will disclose material connections between itself and influencers and will not misrepresent such influencers as independent users in the future. Warner Bros. will be responsible for informing influencers that they must disclose material connections in their video reviews and establishing a system to monitor video content and social media posts for such disclosures. The order will remain in place for 20 years or longer if the FTC files a new complaint alleging violation of its order.

As said before about this. The terms is that they will not break the law again. Only real difference is that they will now have to supply information about everyone they do business with and have a method in place to track everything said or done by the people they pay to be talking heads for them.

WB annoys me so much. They make good games, but their business decisions are retarded.

Everyone loved the Arkham games. May be the only thing you can get PC, Playstation and XBOX fanboys to agree on. So hey, let's give the PC port no budget and no time, woohoo.

I'm running through SOM again - It's been a couple of years, but man it looks good at 4k. After Dark Souls 3, the combat is almost relaxing.

PewDiePie is a dipshit and so is anyone who watches his dumb ass channel. I just don't get wanting to watch anyone else play video games but there are plenty of, well you know on the internet these days...

There are too many shills on the net.

Exactly... PDP and other "personalities" on YT get paid to say how awesome games they play are. I don't trust anyone anymore so I either play a demo on a new game (no demo means watch out in big red letters) or wait for it to hit the bargain bin or steam sale.

Back