Warm: WD Black 1TB HD $69.99

how is newegg and their hard drive packaging these days?

Very good now. They package the HD in a anti-static thick bubble wrap bag that's made for HD's. Then they place it inside a cardboard box that's made for 3.5" HD's for shipment. It's a TON better then they use to be, trust me.

Why I like this HD is it uses one platter with a very low failure rate & it's 5-year warranty.

I need to stop going to [H]ot|DEALS :(

Amazon has it for only $4.51 more

I don't know how Amazon ships theirs HD's. Plus I get charged tax in MA. via Amazon. I don't want to give my state a nickel more then it sucks out of me to begin with! We're one of the worst states in taxes!

This is WD "Mainstream" line. Not the same as WD Black HD's. Slower. 2-year warranty vs. 5-years for the Black. Better reliability overall.

This is WD "Mainstream" line. Not the same as WD Black HD's. Slower. 2-year warranty vs. 5-years for the Black. Better reliability overall.

Just to be clear, this is referring to the drive linked in the post above his, not the drive the OP posted about in #1. Little confusing when first read. ;)

I didn't know there was a "mainstream" line. I knew black, blue, green and now red. I suppose the "mainstream: line is some sort of drive built for the big box stores like BB, Walmart etc. People have been warning me away from DeWalt tools at Home Depot saying they are watered down versions quality wise for Home Cheapo.

The BB boxes the drives came in were nice though.

Roma: Maybe I wrong here, but I thought WD's Mainstream line are the Blue line-up.

lol They're the ones meant for HD video systems that are constantly writing large amounts of data to the drives. I'm thinking about using one of them in my new system.

how is newegg and their hard drive packaging these days?

Better than before. With that being said I just returned a DOA WD: Red 2TB which I thought was "packed OK". Apparently not :-/

Better than before. With that being said I just returned a DOA WD: Red 2TB which I thought was "packed OK". Apparently not :-/

Still the WD Black 1TB is a solid HD for $70.00 I bought the 500GB version from MicroCenter & it was DOA. The replacement process was painless & worked like a charm upon my 2nd installation.

I'm not a commercial builder, but I build low-end rigs (usually using AMD APU's) for my friends. The WD Black has been a winner overall IMHO.

I agree with you guys. It's possible it was DOA from the factory.

Just giving my experience. There isn't really any way to tell.

Considering that I have bought a bunch of replacement drives from Amazon over the last year and haven't had 1 DOA, and then I bought 1 newegg & it's doa, well......

Back