Warm? Velocirapper 150 $60 New

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Yeah ssds faster, and only $99 for 128GB.....

But if you have more enterprise workloads with lots of writes & want a nice 5 year warranty these should work fairly nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136928
EMCXMVX45

I think with flashcache, dm-cache, and many other caching methods coming up for linux, I might be inclined to go with 64G ssd (several of which I have lying around) and a 750GB black drive...

You"ll be buying a rapper and don't even know it.

uh? wat?

Not a bad deal. Id cosider this if i could fit em in my case. Id always choose 2x raptors in raid 0 over a SSD for anything important.

VelociRAPTOR was never particularly good against newer 7200 drives, especially if short stroked. Today they hardly make any sense.

VelociRAPTOR was never particularly good against newer 7200 drives, especially if short stroked. Today they hardly make any sense.

They have much better access times than 7200 rpm drives for random i/o, 5 year warranty & probably more write endurance than similar size ssds....

It's a very particular use case, but might be good for a heavily used vm server..

Hey don't knock the mechanical drives! They're good for some jobs. For instance, I like using mechanical drives in RAID0 for my games. Get some good speed (about 230MB/sec) and a ton of space (2TB).

I, personally, would give these a pass even though I used to own the 150GB and 300GB VR a few years back.

EDIT: Never mind...

150 GB is too small these days for a mechanical drive, IMO. I'm pretty sure I've seen 128 GB SSDs for around this price.

I use 500gb version for my games. Paid $100 on ebay.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I might be interested in the 500 GB...but 150. Meh. Too small to be useful for large datasets, not performant enough to warrant not spending more on an SSD for small datasets.

I already have 3 gathering dust in my office, tempted to pick up 3 more for testing software/hardware raid configurations.

I kinda feel the same way. I am over mechanical drives for mains. Its the SSD age.

I already have 3 gathering dust in my office, tempted to pick up 3 more for testing software/hardware raid configurations.

Two of these and a 600GB one sitting on my desk right now trying to figure out what to do with them. The pair of 1TB's in my sig are now in the wife's PC (just couldn't get them to work well in RAID due to MB issues) while I wait on my 1TB EVO to show up. For mechanical drives these are great, near silent so long as they are isolated (the 600GB is in the hot swap bay on top of my computer and can have to listen for it over the sound of the fans in my rig) and best speed you can get in a platter drive. Just wish I could figure out what to do with the older ones now...

I had a pair of these raptors back in the day, 74GB maybe around 2001 or 2002. Raided. I ended up selling the rig to some average joe blow off ebay along with a bad ass nokia 21" monitor. Awesome system. Got paid really well but he had zero clue what he had. Maybe that's why he bought it.

Yeah, I had a pair of intel 80GB SSD G2's back in 2008. Faaaaast drives at the time.

Now I'm just rocking a single 256GB SSD M4

I used to have one for my boot drive. The 10K rpm is noisy and if you have a bad mounting I remember the whole hdd cage resonating. Its a good deal.

i have 3 300gb Velociraptors in raid 0 running with a 60GB intel SSD using Intel SRT. The drives just turned 5 years old and are still kicking with no problems!

raid 0 velociraptors are still pretty hot.
like a post above me, i use a raid 0 pair with a small ssd in srt for all my games, dare i say that setup outruns some of my friends low end ssds

granted my boot drive is raid 0 vertex3 drives too so i'm sure that helps.

still 60 bucks for the 150 isn't bad, i remember paying almost 200 a piece for 150 gigs back when we built our gen1 core i7 server here at work.

I used to have one for my boot drive. The 10K rpm is noisy and if you have a bad mounting I remember the whole hdd cage resonating. Its a good deal.

This is not the case with any of the newer 2.5" sized ones. I cant hear either of mine over the fans in my case.

I have one of the original 36GB Raptors. I use it for dicking around with Linux on a little Atom box. About the only useful thing I can think of for it LOL.

It's a nice drive. It's faster than a 7.2k mechanical and cheaper than an SSD of comparible size.

This seems like a nice price for the drive.

However, it's not really *enough* faster to justify getting less than a tenth of the space of a comparibly priced 7.2k mechanical drive, nor is it enough cheaper than an SSD of comparible size to justify the performance loss of going mechanical.

So yeah, I'd say that this is a good deal for this drive, but this drive isn't a good deal even at this price.

I have one of the original 36GB Raptors. I use it for dicking around with Linux on a little Atom box. About the only useful thing I can think of for it LOL.

Those are actually slower than a Modern 7,200 RPM hard drive.

They made sense at one point in time for a short while when SSDs were still very new to the market (I'm talking 32GB SSDs going for $600+), but today it just makes no damn sense. Sure you could get two of them and RAID0 them for gaming or something, but for what? Half the speed of a single basic modern SSD? And for about the same price too. Not to mention they're pretty damn noisy.

However, it's not really *enough* faster to justify getting less than a tenth of the space of a comparibly priced 7.2k mechanical drive, nor is it enough cheaper than an SSD of comparible size to justify the performance loss of going mechanical.

Sums it up perfectly.

They still make sense for some people ...

No actually, they are not noisy at all..

They definitely are. I've had several over the years. Sure it's not deafening, but it's very noticable over a normal 7200 HDD

They definitely are. I've had several over the years. Sure it's not deafening, but it's very noticable over a normal 7200 HDD

My WD Black is louder than my VR's, which there are five of running in my house right now, at least one from each generation of VR. If you have loud ones, you need to look at the mounting you have them in. I had a 600GB one sitting in the open hot swap on my case (not in, but on top in the open) and I could barely here it over undervolted fans while moving 300GB onto it with my ears less than 3ft from it. I had a pair of 1TB's standing outside my wife's PC while I cloned everything over onto it and never heard them at all. Even with them installed in a computer case that has no noise deadening at all you would have to be right up next to the PC and listening for them to catch the noise.

That being said, my HDD-less machine has far less storage noise than my VR setup did. :D

Back