Warm to Hot, Frys (Today only ) XFX 8800GTX $169.99+ship

Hellbent88

Limp Gawd
Thought this was a warm deal for a Kickass card and Hot for those who have been wanting to SLI their card :D

LINKY

I saw it in the ad this morning. I think it is $179 in-store, but I guess you can get it cheaper if the option to pick up is available.

the 9800gtx is only a little more on newegg. 4850 is about the same.

was at fry's this morning... they were $169 in store as well. And they had 45 of these in stock!!! WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM???

This is a great deal for a great old card... took all my will power not to pick up 3 for shits & giggles :D

was wondering if the extra ram on 8800 GTX or the higher clocks on the 9800 GTX would be better ?

Purchased one today as I needed a new card and was on a budget. Wanted a external venting cooler or else I would have went with the HD4850. I was a little dissapointed as the box had the green pcb pictured and my system had a black/blue color scheme going on. To my suprise it was a black PCB when I opened it up. Cool.
They had a stack of them as well at the Frys in Roseville and I was surprised as well to see that many of an older card new in box. From the packaging, ie the included XFX door hanger, I would say these were recently packaged as I believe that was a recent promo.
Still I would consider it a "fair" deal in todays market with the 8800GT, HD3870, and HD4850 for =< 169.99. Especially when they had the 9800GTX+ tags for 199$ sitting right next to them.

**edit**
As assumed these were built or packaged on 07/08 going by the side label.

Purchased one today as I needed a new card and was on a budget. Wanted a external venting cooler or else I would have went with the HD4850.

I don't want to rain on your parade but the 8800GTX only partially vents out the backplate, much of the hot air actually vents out back into your case through the slots on the face of the cooler near the backplate.

Yep, I had an 8800GTS 640mb back in the day so I'm familiar with the pseudo venting. I guess some is better than nothing compared to what was available on the shelf.
My son has a 8800GT and there is a noticable temp difference between the two, with the 8800GTX leading obviously. As far as benchmarks in 3dmark 06 they are pretty close.
After running it for the last hour I would recommend people going towards the newer generation. I haven't even compared the wattage differences and I might just bust out the killawatt as both my son's and mine are exact builds minus the video card. It's obvious there will be a difference pointed out from other articles but it would be interesting to see if to for myself.
I'll update my post when I get that information.

3DMark:
8800GTX
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7669605
8800GT
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7602143

Power Usage:
8800GTX, Q6600 (stock), IP35-E, 2GB Crucial, DVD-Rom, Sata HD, Antec Neo 500 Watt:
Idle: 164-168watts, Load (Return to Proxycon 3Dmark): 249-270 watts

8800GT, Q6600 (stock), IP35-E, 2GB Crucial, DVD-Rom, Sata HD, Antec Neo 500 Watt:
Idle: 114watts, Load (Return to Proxycon 3Dmark): 192-209

Ummm correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a 4850 slightly faster and less expensive? Might be a good deal if you need another for SLI but that's the only reason I could see picking an 8800 GTX over a 4850 ;)

was at fry's this morning... they were $169 in store as well. And they had 45 of these in stock!!! WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM???

This is a great deal for a great old card... took all my will power not to pick up 3 for shits & giggles :D

thats what im talking about!

I would pick one of these up if I had the extra funds. I wouldn't mind running in SLI.

I picked one of these up to replace my g92 8800gts 512, should be much better @ 1920x1200. Used In-Store pickup option, was about $185 after tax, it's on sale in store but at $200 + tax.

Then I fubared my mobo; not even sure what happened but it won't even start now. Damn Asus RMAs, that's like my 3rd in 2 years :(

I picked one of these up to replace my g92 8800gts 512, should be much better @ 1920x1200. Used In-Store pickup option, was about $185 after tax, it's on sale in store but at $200 + tax.

Then I fubared my mobo; not even sure what happened but it won't even start now. Damn Asus RMAs, that's like my 3rd in 2 years :(

I would say that was more of a lateral move than anything. Your probably not going to "notice" much difference.

Agreed, that move IMO would only have been worth it if you can sell the GTS for around $150

No need to buy an aftermarket cooling because of the OEM cooling. Just cut strips of electrical tape and cover the internal exhaust holes.

You'll notice a drop in temps and it's alot cheaper ;).

the ati 4850 is faster than the 8800gTx in everygame

No, sorry not seeing it in EVERY game. Not to mention, the 4850 only gets around 2200ppd folding@home. Hell, my GTS 640MB gets an average of 3300ppd, 4000 if I don't game. So the 8800GTX should get roughly 6000ppd? For all round use I would still go with nVidia 8800-9800GTX+ in the $179-199 range.

I would like to see Kyle/Brent take that into consideration too when benching cards since F@H for the [H}orde is of most importance. All round use, nVidia still beats ATI, at any price point. :)

Must wait for a 9800GTX+ to go on sale. :p This is tempting though. edit: when is the GTX 260 hitting $200?

I remember when the 8800GTX launched a couple of years ago. It was over the top. They were fetching like $500 - $600 for those cards. Man have we come a long way, like two generations of GPUs now. And yet, the 8800GTX can still hold its own.

8800GTX can still play everygame at playable frame rates at 1920x1200, IMO this is the best GPU of all time, 2 years of power, and not slowing down, with all these console ports, this card should be good for another 2 years!!!

the ati 4850 is faster than the 8800gTx in everygame

I'll have 2 of whatever this chap is smoking.

It is faster in most games, but only by a bit and they do trade blows. But when you crank the aa level up the 4850 clearly pulls ahead. Also it's cheaper and uses less power. The only good thing I see about this deal is no MIR. Sorry but I just had to respond to that :p

It is faster in most games, but only by a bit and they do trade blows. But when you crank the aa level up the 4850 clearly pulls ahead. Also it's cheaper and uses less power. The only good thing I see about this deal is no MIR. Sorry but I just had to respond to that :p

Keep in mind settings and resolution, before agreeing to his broad claims.

Not everyone is gaming at 1920x1200, where the 4850 manages to outshine the 8800 GTX in some games.

Let's take HL2/CSS as an example:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Scroll down to resolutions. How many are gaming at 19x12? All of <3%.

The only downside of this card vs. 4850 is obviously the two slots and much higher power draw. Ain't exactly a cool card either. That said, great pick up if you're looking for a second card for SLI / Tri-SLI.

As far as F@Home goes, the reason is that the Nvidia unit was written by Nvidia whereas the ATI optimized one has not yet been released by ATI. When it does come out, the full Teraflop will put the 4850 ahead pretty easily in all likelihood, but who knows when it dods come out.

Keep in mind settings and resolution, before agreeing to his broad claims.

Not everyone is gaming at 1920x1200, where the 4850 manages to outshine the 8800 GTX in some games.

Let's take HL2/CSS as an example:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Scroll down to resolutions. How many are gaming at 19x12? All of <3%.

Who cares how many people play at that resolution. The point is that the 4850 is faster and for people who don't already own a 8800GTX, this deal isn't all that "hot" At anything less than 1920 they may trade blows but at that point, both are producing pretty high frame rates in the majority of games anyway.

I would say this is hot only if, you allready have a gtx and you have a nvidia chipset.
if you're fortunate(and unfortunate) to fit the above two qualifications go for it. :p

for a new build i would go 4850 and slap a $25 ac cooler on it.
(keep in mind im running a single 8800gtx and cant find a decent cooler for less than 50bux)

Wow... I just sold my almost 2 year old EVGA 8800 GTX for $242 on ebay like 2 weeks ago... Happy that I sold it back then after seeing this deal!

But I agree with the poster above... this card had/has an awesome lifespan... 2+ years old and still a good performer!

Back