warm to hot ? 36 dollar 4x BD ROM @ newegg with code

Thanks. In for one.
been waiting to grab a Blu Ray for my PC for a while now.

Totally in the price range now but what am I missing? I have never had the need for a bd drive. I am ashamed to admit this, but I don't know how to rip them correctly or this would be great for archiving my collection of dvd's and blu-rays. (gets ready for the flogging...)

Its not a burner just a player. What it does tho is play blu ray on ur pc.

just make sure you still have a DVD-RW if you get this since it can't burn anything including DVD and CDs.

What do you guys use to play Blu Ray with this. I looked at this and the reviews are less than stellar mostly because the software to play blue rays is so expensive you might as well just purchase a whole player.

i am sure there are updates out there for windows media and what not to allow for blu ray playing. also might need to have HDCP copliant hardware for it all to intermingle with each other. I am no expert tho. just what i have read or hear.

You'll need a new version of PowerDVD 9 or 10 to play blurays.

Microsoft isn't going to include a "free" update to allow playback. It costs money to use the license.

It seems someone is being stupid I would think Sony would make alot more money if they would just charge royalties on the media and make the liscense for playback free or very cheap. It seems to me if they just let M$ or anyone play Blu rays they would sell alot more drives which would also be cheaper and that would turn into far more blu ray disks being consumed. If I was sony I would be begging M$ to include blu ray playback in WMP

Just ordered one. Now I can quit using my old old old DVD player with my 1080p projector!

It seems someone is being stupid I would think Sony would make alot more money if they would just charge royalties on the media and make the liscense for playback free or very cheap. It seems to me if they just let M$ or anyone play Blu rays they would sell alot more drives which would also be cheaper and that would turn into far more blu ray disks being consumed. If I was sony I would be begging M$ to include blu ray playback in WMP

I thought they already did charge companies a fee to use the media, I thought they charge a fee for anything and every blu-ray related?

Totally in the price range now but what am I missing? I have never had the need for a bd drive. I am ashamed to admit this, but I don't know how to rip them correctly or this would be great for archiving my collection of dvd's and blu-rays. (gets ready for the flogging...)

DVDfab has a trial where that will allow this easily. I use it or the other half dozen free programs to remove the DRM. its just that it copies it to the disk fine.

What do you guys use to play Blu Ray with this. I looked at this and the reviews are less than stellar mostly because the software to play blue rays is so expensive you might as well just purchase a whole player.

if you want a full program I would not bother with those, just get AnyDVD (I think its AnyHD now though) for the same moneys

Well Any HD is $80 + $40 for drive that is 120 and it is only for 2 years. Just seems messed up you can buy a stand alone player for less than just the drive after you throw in the software needed to actually use the drive for anything.

schnell, that's a really good question.

The best advice I can give you is this. Find out what chipset your PC has along with the video and processor. If you custom built the PC yourself, then you should already know this info. If, not, look closely at the front of the PC for the make and model. Sometimes this info is on the back of the PC. Once you have this info it's just a simple matter of looking up this info and reading the spec's to see if your PC can play "1080p" video.

schnell, that's a really good question.

The best advice I can give you is this. Find out what chipset your PC has along with the video and processor. If you custom built the PC yourself, then you should already know this info. If, not, look closely at the front of the PC for the make and model. Sometimes this info is on the back of the PC. Once you have this info it's just a simple matter of looking up this info and reading the spec's to see if your PC can play "1080p" video.

Cyberlink has a free downloadable utility to show what you have versus what you need:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

I use VNC to just PLAY bluray. If you have a bluray disc in your hand right now I'd suggest frisbeeing it out the nearest window.

Microsoft isn't going to include a "free" update to allow playback. It costs money to use the license.

power dvd 8 works just fine and pretty much any hardware inside of the last 3 years will do in terms of CPU and discrete gfx cards. I had a vostro 1400 laptop with a 1.8Ghz cure 2 duo and a 8400 and it did just fine with the Blu-ray

You guys, it should come with PowerDVD9......

For those who got this deal for $39.99 last 2 weeks from amazon, This same exact Bluray drive came included with PowerDVD9 (recommended a few posts above)....... maybe you guys can call NEWEGG and have them check to see if the newegg deal included PowerDVD9 for free also.....??????????????

I posted the $39.99 deal a few weeks back for this same 4x BD rom drive from Asus.... so this is a decent deal.

i am sure there are updates out there for windows media and what not to allow for blu ray playing. also might need to have HDCP copliant hardware for it all to intermingle with each other. I am no expert tho. just what i have read or hear.

No, there is no update to WMP to play BD's.

There's 3 options - Total Media Theater, Power DVD, or WinDVD.

They will if/when BR drives become standard features on a PC; just like they did with DVD support beginning with vista.

People forget that Microsoft backed the HD format and not Bluray back in the day. I believe there are some politics at play here. Just as easy as you can play DVD titles today, eventually you will be able to play Bluray in the next release of Windows if not sooner.

You guys, it should come with PowerDVD9......

For those who got this deal for $39.99 last 2 weeks from amazon, This same exact Bluray drive came included with PowerDVD9 (recommended a few posts above)....... maybe you guys can call NEWEGG and have them check to see if the newegg deal included PowerDVD9 for free also.....??????????????

I posted the $39.99 deal a few weeks back for this same 4x BD rom drive from Asus.... so this is a decent deal.

it would be nice but I didn't see it anywhere. for myself as I always rip them just on principle it wasn't an issue. if that deal included the software it was much better

Back