Warm: Seagate 5TB USB3.0 External Drive for $168

Be careful with this one. I saw the same deal a while ago over at AnandTech (the deal was on NewEgg). Here is one of the responses to that:

Samus said:
The drive has crippled firmware with aggressive APM set at 64, causing ridiculous head parking. The firmware is so crippled it wont even detect on an AHCI controller, so it can't be made internal unless you run your controller in IDE/compatible mode.

Be careful with this one. I saw the same deal a while ago over at AnandTech (the deal was on NewEgg). Here is one of the responses to that:

I guess Seagate got "smart" with people buying cheap external hard drives and using them as internals. Hopefully, Seagate will release a cheap 5TB or 6TB internal hard drive by the end of this year.

WTF? This kinda shit = me never buying a Seagate again. Thanks for the heads up, guys

Newegg has it, as well as the Toshiba flavor. Evidently, both drives have the parking issues.

I wouldn't doubt that the aggressive head parking is more of a energy-and-heat-conservation change than a malicious one towards people buying externals and using them internally. Most externals are used for either backups or data storage, two things which are infrequently accessed compared to an OS disk, and with 5TB they could likely cut costs in other places by implementing the head parking.

WTF? This kinda shit = me never buying a Seagate again. Thanks for the heads up, guys

WD has gone full retard though...some of their externals have the USB directly wired to the board on the HDD.

WD has gone full retard though...some of their externals have the USB directly wired to the board on the HDD.

Commodity items that people want to be as small as possible. Keeps it small and cheap. Isn't that what you wanted??

Back