Warm? Sapphire Active DisplayPort to VGA $31 shipped

Wait what is this

It's a Display Port to VGA adapter. It's active which mean no need for a separate power source. It allows you to use eyefinity with no displayport monitors. it looks like a great deal to me.

As long as you don't mind that its vga and not dvi. Having one vga monitor next to 2 dvi monitors would make it look very blurry IMHO.

Active means that there is some sort of chip internally doing some converting not that it doesn't need power. (although in this case it doesn't) The non powered vga adapters seem to be hit and miss for some people.

A great deal if you are just wanting to try out eyefinity on some 19" monitors with a 5770. But if you already spent 1500+ on some monitors and a few 5870s do your self a favor and spend the few extra $ for a dvi.

I'm using a couple of the monoprice dp to vga adaptors and I don't really notice any blur on my thrid monitor...

i picked a DVA to DP adapter at a local computer store for $25 including tax. It looks almost exactly the same as the sapphire one and it works great.

I believe people have had luck with the monoprice adapters, only $22 + shipping there...add tax to certain states.

yeah id go with the monoprice one personally. i dont think you should have any less quality than a dvi port unless its a crappy-quality adapter or if youre using a lower-quality vga cable than dvi cable. you will, however, be limited in resolution. vga only supports up to 1920x1200 i think.

vga blur depends on the video card, if you have really old crappy video card and you are doing like 1080p on it you would get blur. But newer video cards don't have this problem up to 1080p.

It's a Display Port to VGA adapter. It's active which mean no need for a separate power source. It allows you to use eyefinity with no displayport monitors. it looks like a great deal to me.

It may be powered by the Displayport output or something, but active means that it uses more than just passive components. Meaning it uses transistors/op amps/etc. It's a general electronics term, not a computing term (except as inherited from electronics). Active filters may or may not require separate power depending on the implementation.

mine came from dealextreme, and it was like 16.99 shipped, works great, is NOT blurry next to my 2 monitors on dvi for eyefinity (3 hp lp2465's). a very good purchase :)

As long as you don't mind that its vga and not dvi. Having one vga monitor next to 2 dvi monitors would make it look very blurry IMHO.

Active means that there is some sort of chip internally doing some converting not that it doesn't need power. (although in this case it doesn't) The non powered vga adapters seem to be hit and miss for some people.

A great deal if you are just wanting to try out eyefinity on some 19" monitors with a 5770. But if you already spent 1500+ on some monitors and a few 5870s do your self a favor and spend the few extra $ for a dvi.

VGA looks no different except for text. The only advantage a digital signal has is sharper text and the ability to handle res over 1920x1200. All normal images look the same.

ALL DP-VGA adapters are active, it doesnt matter which one you get, they are all the same. VGA doesnt need the USB power cable since there is enough power from the DP to do the conversion from digital to analog. They only work up to 1920x1200 though, which is more then what most people need anyway. There is no such thing as a passive DP-VGA adapter, whether it says its active or not.

I am one of the people who reviewed this product on Newegg. The price/shipping has been like that for a while now, so it's not really a deal since it's not cheaper than normal. That said, I can't tell the difference between the VGA monitor and my two DVI monitors. Even if you think it's blurry just calibrate it. The whole fear of VGA thing is overblown unless you are a graphics artist for a living or something, and even then, just use the other two monitors.

ALL DP-VGA adapters are active, it doesnt matter which one you get, they are all the same. VGA doesnt need the USB power cable since there is enough power from the DP to do the conversion from digital to analog. They only work up to 1920x1200 though, which is more then what most people need anyway. There is no such thing as a passive DP-VGA adapter, whether it says its active or not.

So the following should work fine with eyefinity too?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024609&p_id=6018&seq=1&format=2

VGA looks no different except for text. The only advantage a digital signal has is sharper text and the ability to handle res over 1920x1200. All normal images look the same.

I guess I'm the only one that blurry text is a big deal too. Text over a vga cable makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

I suppose if you use your computer for strictly gaming then it wouldn't be a problem.

I guess I'm the only one that blurry text is a big deal too. Text over a vga cable makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

I suppose if you use your computer for strictly gaming then it wouldn't be a problem.

If its your only screen I wouldnt want it, but when you have 3 it really doesnt matter unless you are a huge multi taker. To me having a media player open on that screen, or monitoring programs would be fine.

Back